DNO

It stands for "Destination New Orleans", and it's emblazoned on the t-shirts the Bengals are wearing at camp this year. I found this reading a pretty good article at NFL.com. It got me pumped! flex.gif

WHERE IS NFL.COM?

Cincinnati, where the skyline looming over the practice fields signifies the team's first-ever downtown training camp after 15 years of practicing in Georgetown, Ky. It's different, to be sure, from the many camps around the NFL that are held in the woods or the mountains. But when I asked coach Marvin Lewis about it, he cited the same reasons others have in moving camp home: "I think the fact that we have an opportunity to continue with our own learning environment, that's been exceptional. It's enabled us not to have to uplift our whole infrastructure of technology and so forth. It's a real positive, and I think it's been a great move for the fans." Yes, it does make it easier for the people of Cincinnati to see their hometown team -- though with the cramped setup, there's room for just 1,600 of them.

OBSERVATION DECK

1. These Bengals are big. Which they need to be, given that they compete in the AFC North. Their size stuck out, though, in the locker room and on the practice field. Cincinnati has positioned a huge line in front of quarterback Andy Dalton and has paired him with a downhill runner in BenJarvus Green-Ellis. The defense, meanwhile, is loaded with first- and second-round picks, both drafted by the team and picked up off others' scrap heaps. While I was watching (and loving) the old-school Oklahoma drills that the Bengals rolled out on Monday, it was easy for me to see what kind of mindset Lewis is looking for in his players. Lewis told me before this Monday practice, the team's first in pads, "You have to win football games with your pads." And my sense is there's a little more to that than what players will be wearing on gameday.

2. Expectations couldn't be higher. Walking around Paul Brown Stadium, it was hard to miss the T-shirts emblazoned with the words "Born to ... Prepare to ... Plan to ... Expect to ... WIN." Then there were the shirts that were simply decorated with the letters "DNO." Several players tipped me off on the meaning -- Destination: New Orleans. Lewis wasn't pumped that I'd found out. "That's between us -- somebody must've squealed, huh?" he said with a sheepish smile. "That's the goal you set every year," Lewis went on to say. "That doesn't change. We all have the goal to get to the final game and win it." The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in more than 21 years. I have to believe that whatever visualization tactics they use can only help -- particularly with a roster full of rising young players.

There's plenty more good stuff to read at the link above.

For some reason Prisco frequently expects big things from the Bengals, even when they suck. I'd say his rationale this year is sensible enough though, as much as I hate to side with any sort of hype.

Maybe he did in 2010. I don't remember... but I do remember that he had the Bengals ranked dead last in his power rankings at this time last year.

He's clearly been won over by Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and Mike Zimmer.

I like to see the nice writeups like that and tend to agree for the most part.

I truly do think the Bengals are going to be a very good team this season.

I also like how writers are coming up with these stories after coming to see them for themselves and watch things.

You know, as opposed to coming up with the same BS story that any chimp could have written without much thought.

Well except the part where he projects Newman to start opposite Hall.

It's early, but this could be where that's coming from:

The Bengals' competition at strong safety was expected to be a battle between Taylor Mays and Jeromy Miles. But there was another player seeing time at that spot during Wednesday's practice -- veteran cornerback Nate Clements.

It's unknown whether this is an experiment or if the Bengals are thinking of starting Clements at safety. The Bengals definitely want to see what Clements looks like at that spot because he split his snaps on the first-team defense at cornerback and safety.

This could be a way of extending the career of the 32-year-old Clements, who is a strong tackler. It would allow the Bengals a chance of getting their five best defensive backs on the field. The Bengals have been looking for a strong safety since releasing Chris Crocker in early April.

Clements, who has played 12 seasons at cornerback, said it's not up to him that he's in the mix to be a starting safety. Asked if he was comfortable at safety, Clements said after practice, "As long as I'm on the field, I'm comfortable."

When Clements moved back to safety, the Bengals used Adam Jones and Terence Newman at corner, while Leon Hall covered the slot. While Clements said it's different to play safety, it's not a major adjustment for him.

"Whatever coach wants me to do and asks me to do, I have to make sure as a player that I know my responsibilities and know all the positions," he said. "As a cornerback, I learned early on to study all the positions in the defensive secondary so I would know where my help is and when I'm able to take that calculated risk. The difference is now I'm playing the positions."

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has done this move before. When he was the defensive coordinator for the Ravens, he switched Rod Woodson from cornerback to safety. Woodson went on to go to four Pro Bowls at safety.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/52166/bengals-clements-seeing-time-at-safety

For some reason Prisco frequently expects big things from the Bengals, even when they suck. I'd say his rationale this year is sensible enough though, as much as I hate to side with any sort of hype.

Maybe he did in 2010. I don't remember... but I do remember that he had the Bengals ranked dead last in his power rankings at this time last year.

Prisco hops on the Bengals bandwagon every few years. Unfortunately his timing always seems to be poor. For example, in the wake of the 2009 season, he confidently asserted the Bengals would return to the postseason in 2010. Oops. Then, after the Bengals make him look stupid, he dumps on them mercilessly for a couple years before returning for another ride.

That said, I don't think the Bengals will embarrass him again this season. But he's more optimistic than I am at the moment.

Prisco hops on the Bengals bandwagon every few years. Unfortunately his timing always seems to be poor. For example, in the wake of the 2009 season, he confidently asserted the Bengals would return to the postseason in 2010. Oops. Then, after the Bengals make him look stupid, he dumps on them mercilessly for a couple years before returning for another ride.

That said, I don't think the Bengals will embarrass him again this season. But he's more optimistic than I am at the moment.

Yea im waiting to see how they look in the preseason, and how they progress toghter. I still think alot of questions need to be answered, and hopefully the preseason will do that. I want to see how the WR, are going to pan out after AJ. The defense needs to get better, especially down the stretch this year, and im really excited to see Burfict. Love to see how the running game pans out as well. So alot of questions and im excited to see how this all pans out during the preseason.