Sick this morning

walzav29

Things can change and anything is possible.

Yes they can and yes they are.

Except in Cincinnati. At least, it seems that way sometimes, doesn't it?

But you're right. Hope springs eternal and if the Bengals run true to form they will give it a boost over the next two weeks with a mini-Dead Cat Bounce. They'll lose the finale to Baltimore but a 9-7 finish will have the pundit class installing them as a dark-horse playoff contender in 2012. The schedule doesn't look too formidable and no matter what they do with those 2 first round draft picks, Mel Kiper will coat their stripey knob with saliva.

And more, I expect they'll look decent, maybe even good, come next fall. All the talk will be about whether they've done enough to pass the Ravens and Steelers in the division. The conventional wisdom will, of course, be "no," so the coaching staff will be able to play the underdog card again. And in the first four or five weeks they'll score that Signature Win that will get all the playoff talk started again.

Then come December, Lucy will pull the football away again and we'll be right back in this same hole. But they'll still have done decently and we'll have at least an extra second rounder in 2013...

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I have to keep continually reminding myself is that I will always be a Bengals fan. I'm too much of an NFL fan and I've been following this team for way too long to stop. This has been an incredibly enjoyable season to watch. Even if we don't make the playoffs, which let's be realistic we're not going anywhere even if we do, if this team goes 9-7...that's remarkable.

Better days are ahead. I'm confident and have hope. That's alot more than I had this time last season.

Nutshelled, it feels like we've passed the point of no return. The attendence for home games is the worst in the entire NFL, and the activity level on messageboards, where a fan can be a fan for free, is just as pathetic. And perhaps just as telling as the lack of activity is our collective mood. We no longer attempt to cheer each other up after a crushing loss, the only saving grace of a fan of a downtrodden team. Rather, we attempt to top each other by being the first to write off the next season, and the next one after that, and the one after that. In fact, too many of us wear our lack of support and disinterest as a badge of pride.

I agree with the above as a description of far too many Bengal fans.

However, it sounds like an odd rebuke coming from a guy who stated that he hates this team just yesterday. And while such a statement should be taken in jest... it still is hard to take the above rant seriously when you have called fans such as myself a "homer" for believing that the Bengals have something special in Andy Dalton.

George Carlin's description of the average driver seems to describe you as a Bengal fan quite accurately. Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot. Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac.

Edited by HoosierCat
guys, c'mon, play nice.

Better days are ahead. I'm confident and have hope. That's alot more than I had this time last season.

And don't forget that this year we also have a consolation prize.

So at least we can enjoy some yummy schadenfreude while we sit sobbing amidst the ruins of this season's hopes. :eat:

Aren't we guilty of ignoring the answers to our own questions?

If judged soley as a rebuilding project this years Bengal team still earns a very high grade. But because of their early success so much more than that was not only possible, but it was there for the taking. But instead of discussing an important win we're all left to consider another close loss to a team that better deserves to go to the playoffs because it was better coached and overcame it's own critical injuries by playing smarter more disciplined football. Thus, the rebuilding project that never seems to ends enters a very familiar phase, but with one very notable difference. That being, as Bengal fans we no longer bother supporting rebuilding projects. We'll only support a winning team, and truth be told we won't bother supporting a winner until AFTER it's proved itself.

Nutshelled, it feels like we've passed the point of no return. The attendence for home games is the worst in the entire NFL, and the activity level on messageboards, where a fan can be a fan for free, is just as pathetic. And perhaps just as telling as the lack of activity is our collective mood. We no longer attempt to cheer each other up after a crushing los, the only saving grace of a fan of a downtrodden team. Rather, we attempt to top each other by being the first to write off the next season, and the next one after that, and the one after that. In fact, too many of us wear our lack of support and disinterest as a badge of pride.

Point blank, we are a hollowed out fanbase with an empty core and we just got exactly what we deserved.

As someone on the ground here in Cincinnati I can say that I've never seen more people wearing Bengal gear or more people who "admit" to being Bengal fans. Going to see Christmas lights at the zoo last weekend, I saw many folks with Bengal knit hats, jerseys, gloves...you name it. It used to be embarrassing to admit to being a Bengal fan especially when discussing football with the many Steeler fans to be found around here. Now the Steeler fans know they can be beaten by the Bengals in any given game so I'd say the enthusiasm for the Bengals is quite strong.

So at least we can enjoy some yummy schadenfreude while we sit sobbing amidst the ruins of this season's hopes. :eat:

That fan also realized what we already knew:

...a competent defensive co-ordinator...

I think it's also worth noting that more people in town are watching the Bengals even though fewer are showing up to buy tickets:

Bengals games this year have averaged a 33.6 rating, an 8% increase over last season (31.1).
>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/tag/wkrc-tv/

So I maintain that Bengal fans have not jumped ship. They've merely decided to hold Mike Brown's feet to the fire

Don't forget watching Chad wither. What could be worse to Chad than to just be irrelevant? Nothing. His worst nightmare has come true: No one gives a crap what he says or does.

I agree with the above as a description of far too many Bengal fans.

Of course you do. Because I'm not wrong and you know it. But because you don't like the larger implications of what I wrote your next move was to mock me rather than simply offer agreement, and then shut up, as you should have.

However, it sounds like an odd rebuke coming from a guy who stated that he hates this team just yesterday. And while such a statement should be taken in jest...

Exactly. The statement was made in jest and you're smart enough to know that without being told. But despite knowing that you still bump your gums as if there was some other relevant point to be made. But of course you quickly proved there wasn't.

That said, I liked the George Carlin joke.

I think schadenfreude and Cincinnati go well together because so many of us are of German heritage. But ignoring all that for a moment, I'm reminded how the consolation prize (draft picks)you speak of was only possible due to the actions of the very same man most point to as a reason for staying away.

Frankly, too many of us were dead wrong for months about one of the most important decisions the Bengals have ever faced, and if they had been given their way this teams future would be alot less bright than it MIGHT be. But those discredited voices still insist they know best and are justified in withholding support for a thing they claim to care about.

Searay has a good point. I'm here in Cincinnati as well, about 5 miles from downtown. There's plenty of excitement about the Bengals. Plenty.

Yeah, at the zoo.

Or perhaps when wandering at the mall or whatever other activity you care to mention that doesn't actually involve going to the games or opening your wallets.

Frankly, if Searay had a good point to make it would attempt to answer why the Bengals rank dead last in attendance. Instead, he offers a sappy story about how often he sees people wearing Bengal gear and then closes with the now mandatory excuse for the lack of fan support by claiming Bengal fans are holding Mike Brown's feet to the fire.

Searay has a good point. I'm here in Cincinnati as well, about 5 miles from downtown. There's plenty of excitement about the Bengals. Plenty.

Yeah, at the zoo.

Or perhaps when wandering at the mall or whatever other activity you care to mention that doesn't actually involve going to the games or opening your wallets.

Frankly, if Searay had a good point to make it would attempt to answer why the Bengals rank dead last in attendance. Instead, he offers a sappy story about how often he sees people wearing Bengal gear and then closes with the now mandatory excuse for the lack of fan support by claiming Bengal fans are holding Mike Brown's feet to the fire.

Maybe. But is it better to have a town of apathetic fans or one's who are interested but haven't yet made the decision to buy tickets? If the Bengals keep winning, they'll be back. Right now, it looks like the Bengals have a promising future. The fans will be back.

Either way, people are going to do what they're going to do. The ONLY thing that's getting the fans back is winning. The Bengals seem to be on the right track. So what's the problem?

I think it's also worth noting that more people in town are watching the Bengals even though fewer are showing up to buy tickets...

More proof of Bengal Nation refusing to pay actual money to support the team they claim to be fans of.

It all reminds me of Hoosier's rant in the dead thread where this subject was brought up after the Cleveland game. Something about how attendance would be better if the Bengals gave away tickets for free. Or failing that, heavily discounted them. But how would that make you feel if you were a season ticket holder?

Either way, people are going to do what they're going to do. The ONLY thing that's getting the fans back is winning. The Bengals seem to be on the right track. So what's the problem?

We're the problem.

Not individually, and certainly not those who bothered showing up for one of the most important games this team has played in recent memory. But as a group I think we represent the biggest problem this team faces.

We're the worst fanbase in the NFL. That's OUR legacy.

It's rarely a good idea to play hypotheticals but I'll do it anyway.

If the Bengals are a good team in 2013 and selling out every game, I'll argue that fans handled it exactly right. They held Mike Brown's feet to the fire and made him put up a good team before buying tickets. If they're still not selling out and the team's going to the playoffs then I'll cede HoF's point

We're the problem.

Not individually, and certainly not those who bothered showing up for one of the most important games this team has played in recent memory. But as a group I think we represent the biggest problem this team faces.

We're the worst fanbase in the NFL. That's OUR legacy.

I would disagree that we're the worst. Not sure if there's a way to measure that stat anyway. When you look at the "best" fanbases they have a winning track record. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore (Ravens and Colts), Washington, Dallas, Minnesota, and on and on. Recent success in New Orleans has given their fanbase alot to be excited about. Looking at a team like Cleveland, who sucks, they still have a decade and more of dominating the NFL with Paul Brown.

The Bengals had this town by the balls in the 80's. Going to the stadium was an awesome experience. Those fans are still in town. But when you go from 1991-2004 with no playoffs and rarely any winning, you lose an entire generation of fans. That's not unique to Cincinnati at all.

By the way, those crazy fans in Buffalo are looking at a blackout for their next home game.

If the Bengals are a good team in 2013 and selling out every game, I'll argue that fans handled it exactly right. They held Mike Brown's feet to the fire and made him put up a good team before buying tickets. If they're still not selling out and the team's going to the playoffs then I'll cede HoF's point

This. And with that, I'm bowing out of this banter. Of all the Bengals talk on local radio, none of it's about the attendance. Why? Because nobody in town thinks it's a problem. Cart before horse.

But how would that make you feel if you were a season ticket holder?

There's nothing stopping them from offering special deals to season ticket holders, either. In fact, I read over on GB where they recently did just that, offering 2 free club tickets to season ticket holders. Of course, they managed to f**k that up, too, apparently, because they only did it for "long-time" season ticket holders, so people who only got tickets in the last few years called up only to get turned down.

Eited to add: Here's the thread.

Bottom line, you could get free tickets...if you were a 40-YEAR -- that's 4-0, forty-year -- season ticket holder. 26-year season ticket holder Amish Bengal Fan? Nope, sorry, eff off.

Unreal.

Hypotheticals and hypocriticals seem to be all you have to offer on this subject.

If the Bengals are a good team in 2013 and selling out every game....

Really? 2013? Two more years of updates about how much Bengal gear people are wearing at the zoo?

If they're still not selling out and the team's going to the playoffs then I'll cede HoF's point.

Why bother? With every word you write you prove my point better than I could hope to do.

I would disagree that we're the worst. Not sure if there's a way to measure that stat anyway.

If it's stats you want then start with attendance. We're dead last.

The Bengals had this town by the balls in the 80's. Going to the stadium was an awesome experience. Those fans are still in town.

True, but they just spent the weekend at the zoo. And now they're on a Bengal messageboard bragging about how much they love a team they won't pay to watch.

I would disagree that we're the worst. Not sure if there's a way to measure that stat anyway.

If it's stats you want then start with attendance. We're dead last.

The Bengals had this town by the balls in the 80's. Going to the stadium was an awesome experience. Those fans are still in town.

True, but they just spent the weekend at the zoo. And now they're on a Bengal messageboard bragging about how much they love a team they won't pay to watch.

I think we're moving into that phase of the thread where you try to prove that your opinions are better than other people's opinions. The good news is that the Bengals will probably keep winning despite the attendance.

And if we look at past statistics, when the Bengals win, people come to the games. So, yep, nothing to see here. Move along.