Cook Extended

HairOnFire

Whitworth's OK for an LT

OK? More proof that you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/7/15/2277251/more-evidence-andrew-whitworth-is-one-of-the-leagues-top-left-tackles

Really, any particular reason you're using a message board to play tough guy? Lose the personal attacks. I've never resorted to name calling against you and there's no need for that crap.

Other than that, I don't think he's bad, but I've never seen him as a franchise LT. Hence, OK. I'll even go for "good but not great". That's fine. Others are quite entitled to disagree.

It should probably be pointed out that you've blatantly cherry-picked that study from among many others who don't have Whit in the top 10 LT. Nice try, though.

Again, I didn't say he's *bad*, and certainly he's worth keeping around. But I stay by my original point - it's hard to get better when your only moves are to extend players you already have on a bad team.

Like I said earlier, wasn't he a Pro Bowl alternate last year? Then you also have to take into account the crap LG's he has to play beside the last few years. That makes a lot of difference in how people view his quality of play, yet despite that, he still gets national recognition. Is he Joe Thomas? Is he Jake Long? I really can't say, but I will say this, they were both HIGH first round selections that came as advertised. Because of this notoriety they already had a foot in the door so to speak, that helped land them in the Pro Bowl. Whit on the other hand, was a second round pick who has had to play his way to the top.

Really, any particular reason you're using a message board to play tough guy? Lose the personal attacks.

Personal attacks? I said you didn't know what you were talking about, and then backed it up with facts. What is personal about that?

Is it because I used a naughty word? I apologize. I didn't realize you were so sensitive.

It should probably be pointed out that you've blatantly cherry-picked that study from among many others who don't have Whit in the top 10 LT. Nice try, though.

Bring it. Don't tell me there are these studies. Show them to me.

At this point all we have is your word. And all your word has brought to the table is shameless spin attempting to paint the Bengals as either cheap or dumb.

This move was neither of those... but you just can't take it. So you have to try to s**t on it, facts be damned.

it's hard to get better when your only moves are to extend players you already have on a bad team.

Well, those aren't their only moves, are they? Think of the guys they brought in this year who will start. Linebacker and corner come to mind.

Secondly, what is your alternative to extending players? Cut everyone and find 50 free agents? You find the good and reinforce it.

I know it's tough to be a Bengals fan, but when you get so jaded that even the good things start looking bad, it's time to somehow hit the reset button. And Whit is good. Any NFL analyst worth anything will say so. He's not only good, he's tough, durable, and is a team leader.

it's hard to get better when your only moves are to extend players you already have on a bad team.

Secondly, what is your alternative to extending players? Cut everyone and find 50 free agents? You find the good and reinforce it.

To me, this is the bottom line. You have to stick you finger in the dike somewhere and stop the talent drain. Are Whit, Hall and Cook all awesome super-duper players? We can argue each guy until the proverbial cows come home. But we know all of them can play decently, we have a crap load of needs coming up after this year, and if we can improve one of these spots in FA or the draft, great. But now we aren't forced to. We got happy guys for this year, flexibility for next year, what's not to like?

Again, I didn't say he's *bad*, and certainly he's worth keeping around. But I stay by my original point - it's hard to get better when your only moves are to extend players you already have on a bad team.

This is maddening. How many sacks has Whitworth allowed against Pitt and baltimore the last three seasons as the LT? Wait for it . . . NONE. ZERO. Who would you rather have at LT? Joe Thomas? I see nothing to believe that Thomas would be an upgrade over whit. He deserves pro-bowl type money IMO.

In regards to cook, all I know is that he's better than gut-check was. I still shudder thinking about that dude at center. I think Kyle's been solid and our 1st team O-line has been road grading all preseason. Our run-game should be scary this year.

As for Cook, in his first season as a starter PFF ranked him very low (26th?), bumped him up to 16th ranked in his second season, and pegged him 12th best last season. Plus, this season they're predicting a breakout year for Cook.

Do you happen to have a link?

The last time I looked through PFF's site I couldn't find complete rankings. Only a top 10 and a bottom 10. Cook wasn't listed in either place, so concluded he must have been right around the 11th worst... but you're suggesting he's closer to the 11th best.

The complete rankings used to be available to everyone, but I'm pretty sure you have to be a premium subscriber now....which I no longer am. As a result I had to fall back upon my admittedly faulty memory...(cough)...for the rankings given. Thus my uncertainty about Cook's ranking in his first year as a starter. However I remember writing about his 20-something ranking that year, though modest, was still dramatically higher than the previous season with Ghiacuic, but not good enough to quench my desire for an upgrade at OC in that years draft.

Obviously that didn't happen.

Regardless, the larger point I was trying to make had to do with the way Cook's rankings have improved each season and wondering if his reputation, like that of Williams, might be less than deserved for the same reasons the rankings for Bobbie Williams were so surprising to me. Is he better than we think he is? Are we focusing too much on his blowups and not enough on the things he does well?

Last point. One of the things that jumped out at me a when I was scanning the player rankings at all positions was how the gap between the highest and second highest ranked player was greater at the OC position than any other, offensive or defensive. In short, at the center position there's Nick Mangold and then there's everybody else.

speaking of nick, osu has another really good center in next years draft mike brewster.

Typical, silly Bengals' contract. There's nothing commendable about signing a guy to that kind of dough and for that length, who would've probably taken anything reasonable you offered him. His value has increased, but you can find Centers like him every year.

I'n not a Cook fan either... but it's only $5 million guaranteed, and an average of $3.5 million/year. That's not a huge contract.

Even if they drafted Mike Brewster next year, that contract would not be outrageous for an experienced backup. If there is something to complain about, it's not the money or the length. It's the fact that they plan on him being the starter for the next 4 years.

On the other hand... as was noted earlier, PFF had him as the 12th ranked Center in the NFL last season. While I find that a little hard to believe, they certainly watch him and grade him much closer than I do.

Typical, silly Bengals' contract. There's nothing commendable about signing a guy to that kind of dough and for that length, who would've probably taken anything reasonable you offered him. His value has increased, but you can find Centers like him every year.

I'n not a Cook fan either... but it's only $5 million guaranteed, and an average of $3.5 million/year. That's not a huge contract.

Not only isn't it a huge contract, most observers have used the same word to describe the deal.

That word is cheap.

:blink:

Think about this for a moment.

In very short order the Bengals extended the contracts of three veteran players, therby prompting me to claim they had paid too much for Leon Hall, prompting Cheese to claim they had paid too much for Andrew Whitworth, and prompting Steakhouse to claim they had paid too much for Kyle Cook.

:cheers: