Bengals vs. Panthers postgame discussion

Stripes

They have to seriously consider starting Andre Smith this week. Roland is that bad

That Roland IS starting should tell you how ready Smith really is...

Roland had a poor game. Livings as well. Bobbie whiffed on the sack play. Overall, this line had a dreadful outing.

Actually Roland starting tells us nothing because our Oline Coach may simply feel he's a Genius for starting lack luster untalented players.

1. Agree with how poor it is to see Carson forcing the ball to Chad and T.O., it just isn't working and is painfully obvious.

They need a Shock collar for when ever he Looks at T.O or Ocho in back to back plays without looking at gresham and shipley.

Today the 49ers fired their O-coordinator. If only we had that sort of resolve around here

Yup but luckily we'll probably see Brat Extended for his work this season.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any further thoughts on Carson raising his hand at the line to audible, resulting in a running play ??

I hate that sh*t.

Two more things:

1. Agree with how poor it is to see Carson forcing the ball to Chad and T.O., it just isn't working and is painfully obvious.

2. This team still has no identity and it pisses me off.

Absolutely on the audible thing. Noticed it at the Ravens game I went to. My brother and I had the lady in front of us rolling by predicting the play calls right before they were snapped.

Not sure I agree on the lack of identity thing, though. It seems this team is perfectly content with trying to brand itself as the new version of the 2000 Ravens. Not convinced we'll get the same results, but, eh...it's an identity.

Ok so i went back and watched the game since i had to work through most of it. I counted 7 times the ball could have been picked off yesterday. Palmer had no time to throw the ball, he had TO wide open and couldnt make the throw because of the pressure.

Marvin needs to make some changes, if not firing Brat then make changes on the o-line. Why not put Mathis in the line up, take Livings out. This o-line is horrible, without the protection we will never be able to tell if it is Palmers problem or a protection problem. I just hope Marvin decides to make some kind of change, but dont see it happening. He said they played the kind of game they wanted too, im so tired of Marvin saying this. Cant he tell his offense blows, and they will go nowhere with whats out there now?

I get the whole "You have a 50/50 chance of guessing run vs pass" when considering the play about to be called, but again, if someone were inclinded to go back and watch their DVR'd game or tell me where to download it myself, I would bet a large amount of money everytime he did that, it was a run.

Identity. Simple word.

Are they a running team ?? Are they a passing team ??

That's the aspect I want to see answered.

I know they can play defense, but the 2000 Ravens' offense didn't lose games and even though ours has gotten us to 2-1, if they continue playing this way, that winning record won't last much longer.

On his other interception, Palmer got his arm hit when the pocket collapsed and it fell short of wide receiver Terrell Owens streaking open down the middle for a long touchdown pass.

This is from the team site. did anybody see Palmer get his hand hit? From my memory he had people closing on him, but I dont think anybody was close enough to hit his arm. It just looked like a high school QB with no arm to me.

On his other interception, Palmer got his arm hit when the pocket collapsed and it fell short of wide receiver Terrell Owens streaking open down the middle for a long touchdown pass.

This is from the team site. did anybody see Palmer get his hand hit? From my memory he had people closing on him, but I dont think anybody was close enough to hit his arm. It just looked like a high school QB with no arm to me.

I don't recall him getting his arm hit, but I know for a fact (and I made mention of it while watching the game) there were defenders so close, that they didn't allow for a complete follow through on the throw. They may have in fact made contact they were so close, but I don't recall. Had he been able to step into that particular throw, that would have been a TD with little thought.

It's a perfect example of what I'm talking about with the pocket collapsing around Carson. Sure he didn't get sacked, but he couldn't complete his throwing motion which would have resulted in a TD.

All that aside, I still think he's forcing the ball to Chad and TO entirely to much.

If Carson were to have a better pocket and he didn't force things, this offense would take off.

He couldn't follow through on that pass due to defenders in his face. A long pass wasn't the best choice in that instance because he did not have the space to complete the pass. However there were others that he had plenty of room like the one where he threw behind Chad and Chad slipped trying to stop and catch it where it's all on Palmer

The thing about Palmer's poor play is that it's strongly related to trying to throw the ball to 85. Palmer-to-Ocho was something like 4 catches/12 targets for 34 yards and a pick. TO was 4/8/42 and a pick. Meanwhile, Gresham and Shipley were targeted about 10 times and caught 7 for a combined 96 yards.

I recall in the preseason during the ongoing Chad saga, Hair bringing up a point similar to this one... that the vast majority of Palmer's interceptions were passes intended for Chad. I'd hate for the two of you to agree on something.

Lot's of people are going to start agreeing with me before this one is over.

That's Marvin speak for "Quit throwing the damn ball to Chad and T.O. when they aren't f**king open!"

IMHO it's bigger than that. Because for this offense to strike a balance between what they can be and what they want to be they have to acknowledge that Chad no longer deserves to be treated as a #1 WR.