Bengals have the 21st pick in the draft

icehole3

EDIT: Packaging the 2nd and 3rd round picks should be enough to move the Bengals from the 53rd slot (Est.) into the 36th or 37th slot.

Yeah, we actually have the 54th pick in round two, since we swap places with the Patsies every round.

I assumed as much, but wasn't in the mood to look for the details. Thanks.

For the record, I rarely support trade speculation based around moving up in the 1st round, but typically find myself looking to move up in the 2nd round of nearly every draft. And based soley upon where the Bengals could find themselves after such a trade I can tell you without any hesitation this year will be no different.

And I say that even without bothering to speculate which players might be available around the 36 slot.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a pure passrusher. Most of the sacks we got last year were coverage sacks. We need some one on the front of the defense to disrupt things up there. Hopefully, Michael Johnson is that guy. Zimmer has talked about a full off-season for him and him adding weight, but as of now he's a nickel DE that we can only put in in obvious passing situations.

You won't find a guy that defines the role of pure pass-rusher better than Michael Johnson. Here's to hoping he becomes what Robert Mathis has been for the Colts for several years now.

But what would you like to bet they have him put on a bunch of weight and ruin the one thing he has to potential to excel at, hoping they turn him into a complete DE (who ends being adequate at everything, but excellent at nothing).

On the other side, Geathers isn't getting it done. It's obvious 2006 was a fluke.

See my above rant. Geathers wasn't a fluke. He was a light-weight situational pass rusher. They gave him a big contract and then promptly had him add 30 lbs and asked him play 3 downs. Brilliant.

We need a pure passrusher. Most of the sacks we got last year were coverage sacks. We need some one on the front of the defense to disrupt things up there. Hopefully, Michael Johnson is that guy. Zimmer has talked about a full off-season for him and him adding weight, but as of now he's a nickel DE that we can only put in in obvious passing situations.

You won't find a guy that defines the role of pure pass-rusher better than Michael Johnson. Here's to hoping he becomes what Robert Mathis has been for the Colts for several years now.

But what would you like to bet they have him put on a bunch of weight and ruin the one thing he has to potential to excel at, hoping they turn him into a complete DE (who ends being adequate at everything, but excellent at nothing).

On the other side, Geathers isn't getting it done. It's obvious 2006 was a fluke.

See my above rant. Geathers wasn't a fluke. He was a light-weight situational pass rusher. They gave him a big contract and then promptly had him add 30 lbs and asked him play 3 downs. Brilliant.

Agreed Derek with the other Elephant DE's in I wish they would let Geathers just go back down to 260lbs...Tired of having all Elephant DE's...MJ is a nice start but would be wonderful to have another Speedy Defensive End on the other side of him on passing Downs...

nah, Gresham's the best TE in the draft, someone will scoop him up earlier. funny how Taylor Mays has been dropping lately...

on a side note, is Tate speed or possession?

His Injury may hurt his stock though,I think Tate is suppossed be like a Steve Smith type guy...I'd say ask the 49ers what they want for the 13th pick (Figure Seahawks take mays with 2nd pick being that Pete Carrol is the HC and they need Safety help)....Though that will never Happen Tate,Greshem or even Ricky Sapp seem best choices for players ranked 23-32 area...Actually being I didn't see Mount Cody in the top 32 I would have no problem with him at 24.

The best TE in this draft is Rob Gronkowski because, unlike Gresham, he is an outstanding blocker as well as a dynamic receiving threat.The Bengals need a TE, and Gronkowski is a guy they should target.Aside from TE,the Bengals' biggest needs are WR and Safety. At # 21,they have an excellent shot at Gresham,Gronkowski,Golden Tate,Taylor Mays or, possibly, Earl Thomas. They would each be a great pick.The last thing they should do is trade up-they need every pick they will have. In fact, its quite possible that if Taylor Mays' stock keeps falling, the bengals could actually trade down and still get one of the aforementioned guys (except Thomas).By the way, Golden Tate is not a possession guy. He is a dynamic and explosive downfield playmaker with fantastic hand and outstanding return skills. Tate is also the most polished and NFL-ready WR in this draft.Another terrific WR that the Bengals might be able to get in the 2d round is Demaryius Thomas of Ga. Tech- a huge and very physical WR who would provide a dynamic downfield playmaker. The best classic possession receiver in this draft is Eric Decker. He would help move the chains in a way that we haven't seen since the departure of TJ. Any two of these three guys would be great and go a long way towards restoring the Bengals' receiving corps.So, in conclusion,in this draft the Bengals MUST, if they do nothing else, get 2 WRs,a TE, and at least 1 athletic playmaking safety.They could accomplish this necessary task in the first 4 rounds. Oh,and forget Ricky Sapp. The last thing the Bengals need is a small DE who is projected as a 3-4 outside linebacker.As for Cody, why would the Bengals draft a 3-4 nose tackle? You see, I have this all/ figured out.And before you disparage me as an arm chair amateur, would any of us have picked Jerome Simpson in RD 2 or Frostee Rucker in RD 3?

You'll have as much luck drafting a WR in the 2nd round as the 1st. DE, LB, Corner is what I'd like to see. They gotta start grooming a LB to replace Dhani.

Is this not where Rey will be playing? I say they keep Brandon Johnson, and use Rey in the middle, and Rivers on the outside.

I think that should be the LBs of the future!

You'll have as much luck drafting a WR in the 2nd round as the 1st. DE, LB, Corner is what I'd like to see. They gotta start grooming a LB to replace Dhani.

Is this not where Rey will be playing? I say they keep Brandon Johnson, and use Rey in the middle, and Rivers on the outside.

While I won't get all worked up about that lineup, I also don't think Dhani is that bad (just me), but if Dhani is not in the starters role and that is the lineup, I wouldn't call them the LB's of the future, rather the LB's for the time being. B. Johnson could be upgraded the following year, but I like what he brings us.

While I won't get all worked up about that lineup, I also don't think Dhani is that bad (just me), but if Dhani is not in the starters role and that is the lineup, I wouldn't call them the LB's of the future, rather the LB's for the time being. B. Johnson could be upgraded the following year, but I like what he brings us.

The problem with Dhani is he is just too slow. I'd submit that Geathers and Michael Johnson are both faster than Dhani at this point.

Brandon needs to be coached out of his bad habits. He does over pursue and leave his gap. He also is an excellent blitzer who can disrupt TE's and RB's moving off the line.

Rivers has been a bit of a disappointment to me. He just does not seem to MAKE plays. He had the strip/INT at SD but that was the only memorable play I can recall from the whole year.

Rey will improve at a steady rate. Losing him really hurt. Losing Jeanty, right away, also was a bad domino to fall.

I would like to se more of Abdul Hodge in the middle. He is faster than Dhani.

With the players they have, getting more 3-4 sets would not be that tough. Add a big man in the middle or another top DE, they could run 3-4 almost all the time.

Trim Geathers down a bit and he can get back to pass rushing. He and Michael Johnson off the edge, outside of Odom and Peko, could be brutal. Rey and Rivers anchring the middle solves that one. Tank/Sims can NT.

The problem with Dhani is he is just too slow. I'd submit that Geathers and Michael Johnson are both faster than Dhani at this point.

Brandon needs to be coached out of his bad habits. He does over pursue and leave his gap. He also is an excellent blitzer who can disrupt TE's and RB's moving off the line.

Rivers has been a bit of a disappointment to me. He just does not seem to MAKE plays. He had the strip/INT at SD but that was the only memorable play I can recall from the whole year.

Rey will improve at a steady rate. Losing him really hurt. Losing Jeanty, right away, also was a bad domino to fall.

With the players they have, getting more 3-4 sets would not be that tough. Add a big man in the middle or another top DE, they could run 3-4 almost all the time.

Trim Geathers down a bit and he can get back to pass rushing. He and Michael Johnson off the edge, outside of Odom and Peko, could be brutal. Rey and Rivers anchring the middle solves that one. Tank/Sims can NT.

I would rather stay with the 4-3, the NFL seems to have turned over so now there are only a few teams left running it. That gives an advantage against teams that dont see it often.

Anyway around, the ONLY pick that has been discussed that would really irritate me is Gresham. I just don't get the need in the first.

If we draft a TE and he doesnt become all world, guys here will label him a bust even though Brat doesnt know how to utilize a TE. It's Dez Bryant or go defense again IMO.

I would rather stay with the 4-3, the NFL seems to have turned over so now there are only a few teams left running it. That gives an advantage against teams that dont see it often.

the stat was something like 6 of the 8 teams left in the playoffs run the 3-4. With the right personnel, it can be done. Zimmer can make it work.

I'm TOTALLY against blowing up the defense. It's difficult to fathom that the Bengals are just coming off one of the best defensive seasons in Franchise history, and folks think we should start over and learn a new base defense. Even if you do consider that, I don't think we have the explosive edge rusher that it takes to make the switch, which would require adding an additional lofty salary or burning a first round pick, as these guy are extremely difficult to find in the NFL.

Draft wise, the #21 pick overall should go to the best player available, at ANY position. Granted, that's assuming there are no trade options. I was just reminded of that earlier in watching the Vikes/Cowboys game that Peterson was drafted THE YEAR AFTER Chester Taylor signed a big contract and rushed for over 1200 yards. We have obvious holes at WR, TE and S, but you can't pass on an impact pash-rusher, shutdown cover corner and I think you'll even hear some Tebow talk in regard to coming to Cincinnati in a couple of months. Sounds crazy now, but I'm telling you...The Tebow chatter will happen. I'm far from saying Carson is done, but you have to at least raise an eyebrow for how he performed in the second half, including the two games against the Jets. In a "run-first" offense, the QB MUST be accurate. If not, there's no difference in starting a, say, Michael Vick or starting a pure-pocket passer like Carson. In fact, if the accuracy is the same, you'd would RATHER have a mobile QB as opposed to a guy that makes very few plays outside the pocket and stuggles against the rush. As far as Carson goes, it's getting pretty close reminding folks on how Boomer was ushered out of here in the early 90's, when people began to question his health and heart, and afterwards we surprisingly drafted a pretty prolfic QB from a gimmick offense in Dave Klingler.

The Bengals have recently stuck to their draft boards pretty closely, and Tebow might be the BPA. For the record, I'd prefer the Bengals trade up and get the offesive player that's most ready to contribute to the offense next year at a position of need in WR Dez Bryant.

I'm TOTALLY against blowing up the defense. It's difficult to fathom that the Bengals are just coming off one of the best defensive seasons in Franchise history, and folks think we should start over and learn a new base defense. Even if you do consider that, I don't think we have the explosive edge rusher that it takes to make the switch, which would require adding an additional lofty salary or burning a first round pick, as these guy are extremely difficult to find in the NFL.

Draft wise, the #21 pick overall should go to the best player available, at ANY position. Granted, that's assuming there are no trade options. I was just reminded of that earlier in watching the Vikes/Cowboys game that Peterson was drafted THE YEAR AFTER Chester Taylor signed a big contract and rushed for over 1200 yards. We have obvious holes at WR, TE and S, but you can't pass on an impact pash-rusher, shutdown cover corner and I think you'll even hear some Tebow talk in regard to coming to Cincinnati in a couple of months. Sounds crazy now, but I'm telling you...The Tebow chatter will happen. I'm far from saying Carson is done, but you have to at least raise an eyebrow for how he performed in the second half, including the two games against the Jets. In a "run-first" offense, the QB MUST be accurate. If not, there's no difference in starting a, say, Michael Vick or starting a pure-pocket passer like Carson. In fact, if the accuracy is the same, you'd would RATHER have a mobile QB as opposed to a guy that makes very few plays outside the pocket and stuggles against the rush. As far as Carson goes, it's getting pretty close reminding folks on how Boomer was ushered out of here in the early 90's, when people began to question his health and heart, and afterwards we surprisingly drafted a pretty prolfic QB from a gimmick offense in Dave Klingler.

The Bengals have recently stuck to their draft boards pretty closely, and Tebow might be the BPA. For the record, I'd prefer the Bengals trade up and get the offesive player that's most ready to contribute to the offense next year at a position of need in WR Dez Bryant.

I agree Happy...how could we have the kind of year we had on defense, and still people want to change to a 3-4? We we already a great defense, we just need to add to it now and perfect it!

While I agree I would love Dez Bryant, Damian Williams, or Arrelious Benn...I think this is a really deep WR draft and we could get a really good one in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd.

I do agree with you draft thoughts though. I think you take BPA. With me being a Gator fan, I would love to draft Tebow, but even I would do it reasonably. No offense to Palmer but I think Vick would be perfect for us. I know he is a different guy than he was when he was a Falcon but we could build a similar offense with him at quarterback and CedBen. Just have a really great running game and defense with Vick at quarterback

the stat was something like 6 of the 8 teams left in the playoffs run the 3-4. With the right personnel, it can be done. Zimmer can make it work.

It's Pretty Even among 3-4 Teams & 4-3 teams...Difference is though more and more keep switching to 3-4 which makes it's specilized players harder and harder to find (remember reading thats why Patriots & Steelers were sucessful for so long drafting Defense because they were the only ones snatching 3-4 players...But now it's the 4-3 players who seem to becoming less desired so getter better deals...Overall I prefer 4-3 but having Joker type player like Jamey Sharper which I think we finally have in Michael Johnson I wouldn't be surprised see the guy lined up as a safety some day... ^_^

3-4 Teams

Steelers

Patriots

Jaguars(Been working on Switching)

Green Bay

Broncos

Redskins (will be switching to the 3-4)

Cowboys

Browns

Chiefs

Cardinals

Ravens

Dolphins

Chargers

49ers

4-3 Teams

Lions

Bills

Bengals

Eagles

Giants

Saints

Falcons

Tampa Bay

Panthers

Bears

Vikings

Colts

Titans

Raiders

Seahawks

Rams

3-4 has two distinct advantages I know of

1) Because you keep more linebackers, you TEND to have stronger special teams. Not always, but generally.

2) Colleges generally produce smaller DEs who sometimes work best in the NFL as pass-rushing OLBs. A 4-3 team sometimes cant even make use of such 'tweener' players, but 3-4 teams can in this fashion. The flip side of this is that it is harder to find the larger NTs you need to make the 3-4 work.

Talk of moving up in the draft is premature. The only reason you do that is if you see a guy on the board that you just have to have and that's a draft day call. Basically I want to keep my first three draft picks. This team isn't deep enough that it can afford to trade up.

I'm surprised more of you have not mentioned a guard or OT as a need. I'd like an athletic LT or a pulling guard (like Steinbach). Carson had a lot of folks in his face from up the middle this year. Our guards were not athletic enough to pass block or pull in 2009.

I'd rank needs as

1) speedy WR

2) Safety

3) G

4) LB

5) TE

I'm assuming Coffman can contribute as a TE in 2010.

Talk of moving up in the draft is premature. The only reason you do that is if you see a guy on the board that you just have to have and that's a draft day call. Basically I want to keep my first three draft picks. This team isn't deep enough that it can afford to trade up.

I'm surprised more of you have not mentioned a guard or OT as a need. I'd like an athletic LT or a pulling guard (like Steinbach). Carson had a lot of folks in his face from up the middle this year. Our guards were not athletic enough to pass block or pull in 2009.

I'd rank needs as

1) speedy WR

2) Safety

3) G

4) LB

5) TE

I'm assuming Coffman can contribute as a TE in 2010.

1) G

2) Safety

3) posession WR

4) LB

5) Speed WR

1) G

2) Safety

3) posession WR

4) LB

5) Speed WR

It seems to me we already have some guards, safeties etc but no speed WR unless you're OK with Chad. I think Purify, Cosby or Coffman can be a possession receiver but we really don't have any possibilities for a speed WR

It seems to me we already have some guards, safeties etc but no speed WR unless you're OK with Chad. I think Purify, Cosby or Coffman can be a possession receiver but we really don't have any possibilities for a speed W

Who are these guards that we have? I myself was Happy with Mathis but once Livings started playing seemed like a noticeable Drop off...Imo Bobbie was overrated this year plus he's 34 years old so how much gas does he have left? After that It's Big Jason Shirly who has alot of upside but still gonna be raw...So 1 out of 4 Guards not really saying all that much...We could use speed at Wide Receiver but doesn't mean we HAVE to draft one in the 1st.

We all know the Bengals don't have problem with drafting potential problems. Williams from Syracuse fits the mold perfectly.

He has issues, but would present to much to pass up if he could be had in the 4th. He would fill Henry's role to a "T".

Hopefully we could avoid all the other nonsense....

We all know the Bengals don't have problem with drafting potential problems. Williams from Syracuse fits the mold perfectly.

He has issues, but would present to much to pass up if he could be had in the 4th. He would fill Henry's role to a "T".

Hopefully we could avoid all the other nonsense....

I think you're right...I could easily see him in stripes. And I say if we got his kind of talent in the 4th, I'd take him in a heartbeat.