Bengals have the 21st pick in the draft

icehole3

Mike Brown is our owner,Chad,Coles or Caldwell won't go anywhere...Cosby earns a spot via special teamer so that leaves 2 available spots in my mind,Sure I wouldn't complain if the team Cut Coles Traded Chad and signed Brandon Marshell but let's be real here can you honestly say any of the 3 will happen?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a Guard going as high as the #21 pick is unheard of.

The Chiefs drafted G Branden Albert with the #15 just 2 years ago in the '08 draft.

They have since moved him to Tackle, but he was drafted as a guard coming out of Virginia (where he was a 3 yr starter at G, along with future NFL Tackle Eugene Monroe)

Just 2 years before that in '06 The Buccs drafted G Davin Joseph out of Oklahoma at #23 overall.

In reality, except for last year, there seems to be at least 1 G drafted in the 1st every year. In addition to those two above in '06 &'08....Ravens drafted Ben Grubbs at #29 in '07, and in '05 New England drafted Logan Mankins with the last pick of the first round.

My point is, if you believe he is your guy...You take him regardless. Beacuse he definitely wont be there in the 2nd Rd.

Pretty Sure he was drafted with the mindset he would be a tackle,I remember a poster Hair or Derek maybe? That Said Monroes Skills didn't push Albert to Guard but simply Branden Albert was more versatile player but was a better Guard & Tackle.

Found it

Haironfire Feb 09

Last point. The scout tap danced around something that's been bugging me for awhile. That being, the story about Monroe being so good from day one that it forced Brandon Alpert inside. Not true, not close. Virginia coaches explained at the time how they felt Monroe wasn't experienced or powerful enough to match up with interior defenders and would fare better against faster but smaller DE's. Since Alpert was capable of playing both positions a position switch allowed the coaches to get Monroe on the field sooner.

did anybody else see the Senior Bowl?

I was extremely disappointed in Mike Iupati. He got beat a lot and had a bad holding call that took away a touchdown. Mike Mayock said that's the only thing about his game is he is not a natural puncher...he likes to hold.

On the other hand, Taylor Mays flashed the playmaking ability that scouts doubted he had with a pick in the endzone at the end of the first half to keep the North from running away with it early. I believe with today's game and what he will do at the scouting combine will easily lock up a Top 20 selection. :unsure:

Mardy Gilyard had a big day and even gave a shout out to "the Ocho", but he also gave a shout out to Santonia Holmes. <_<

I am more puzzled than ever as to what we will do on draft day. There's still a lot of time between now and then but I just hope some of the questions get ironed out.

Well alot depends on Free Agency and who we want keep,I could see Alexander & Brat Feeling like they're genius's and wanting to leave the Oline exactly the way it was...Resigning Bobbie...leaving Roland starting over Big Dre because hey their working with less talent for once...Also funny how some people have a short memory(not here but other boards I seen people call mays a 2nd rounder) the guy was play maker for his first 3 years where he was considered a top 5 talent then had one down year...Easy to justify a Mid 1st on the guy where people will take guys with his physical talents top 5 (Vernon Gholsten,Vernon Davis & Other physical beasts)

Well alot depends on Free Agency and who we want keep,I could see Alexander & Brat Feeling like they're genius's and wanting to leave the Oline exactly the way it was...Resigning Bobbie...leaving Roland starting over Big Dre because hey their working with less talent for once...Also funny how some people have a short memory(not here but other boards I seen people call mays a 2nd rounder) the guy was play maker for his first 3 years where he was considered a top 5 talent then had one down year...Easy to justify a Mid 1st on the guy where people will take guys with his physical talents top 5 (Vernon Gholsten,Vernon Davis & Other physical beasts)

I agree. He's too much of a beast to not be a 1st rounder. He will not be there after his combine numbers and measurements.

My question: what if Dez Bryant, Taylor Mays, and Iupati are gone? I admit I don't know much about Earl Thomas, I'll wait until the combine to form an infatuation with him or not. If this scenario plays out, I would have to think it would be either another receiver, Gresham, or maybe CJ Spiller.

That same mentality is why Dan Marino dropped in the 1983 draft even though he tore it up in his sophomore and junior years.

Mays is a player. I wish we could take him but I doubt he will be there when it's our turn.

My question: what if Dez Bryant, Taylor Mays, and Iupati are gone? I

My first Choice would be Earl THomas who some think may go before Mays (he's more balanced),After that just depends on flavor of receiver you want though I'd lean towards trading down...Maybe Mounty cody or Passrushing end? not sure :|

My question: what if Dez Bryant, Taylor Mays, and Iupati are gone? I

My first Choice would be Earl THomas who some think may go before Mays (he's more balanced),After that just depends on flavor of receiver you want though I'd lean towards trading down...Maybe Mounty cody or Passrushing end? not sure :|

I just don't know much about Thomas...I know he looks like a corner.

What is Cody a Canadian police officer? ^_^ Stay away from his fat ass...please...I implore you! :unsure:

I would love a defensive end...I'm actually started to lean that way(if he's the BPA). Odom's injury worries me and Geathers ain't a very good all around DE, he needs to slim down.

I would also add tight end, even though it is a deep draft but HobKnob said Coffman is such a question mark that they want to draft a tight end high again...whether that's high meaning 1st or 2nd or maybe they mean high meaning not a late round project.

There's still a lot of time left and I love draft talk but I feel like I'm beating a dead horse trying to keep this thread alive!

What is Cody a Canadian police officer? ^_^ Stay away from his fat ass...please...I implore you!

I see him pulling alan branch and going much later because of his size, But Nick Sabian seems to have good taste in Chunky Butts so getting super chunky butt for our DT rotation wouldn't be so bad since still have tank,sims & peko...

I would love a defensive end...I'm actually started to lean that way(if he's the BPA). Odom's injury worries me and Geathers ain't a very good all around DE, he needs to slim down.

Odom I'm not to worried about Until info comes out to implore other wise,But I think we have enough Elephant sized DE's that we would be Okay even though he was the best of them...Geathers Got alot better vs run but wasn't worth how much his pass rushing dropped off.

I would also add tight end, even though it is a deep draft but HobKnob said Coffman is such a question mark that they want to draft a tight end high again...whether that's high meaning 1st or 2nd or maybe they mean high meaning not a late round project.

Well It's not like we drafted Coffman high in the first place he was a 4th rounder (3rd round comp pick)

But I think they keep Coffman and Foschi and it's matter 3# spot which I'm sure Reggie will get near vet minimum deal just encase and then Sign someone via Free Agency hence the expunging Utecht last season and not even giving him another shot.

There's still a lot of time left and I love draft talk but I feel like I'm beating a dead horse trying to keep this thread alive!

Can I ask something...why do we act like we love "big" receivers, which is supposedly why we passed on DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal for Jerome Simpson?

We don't even have a "big" receiver by today's standards on our roster. We have one of the smallest WR corps in the league.

Chad was the smallest receiver in the Pro Bowl besides Jackson.

I just don't get it...they would make a run at Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson if they truly loved big WR's. At least draft a big WR for Pete's sake.

I've been out of the loop and will be again here shortly, but thought I would chime back in on this. (To give Supa a break...) :sure:

Do we need a playmaker WR ?? Yes, of course we do. Are we willing to spend a first in the hopes that rookie cures the ills of the WR corps ?? I honestly hope not unless Bryant somehow falls, which I'm not expecting. Williams out of USC is still my guy in the first IF we go wide out AND Bryant is off the board.

We absolutely need a safety regardless of Roy Williams coming back or not and if Mays or Thomas are there, it would be very difficult to see them passing on them minus someone else falling as well. If multiple players fall at positions of need, I see the chance to trade down becoming more appealing.

If Iupati is there, I still think he presents the best option for what this team needs assuming the other players i've mentioned are off the board. People here can disagree with me in thinking the pass blocking was actually good last season all they want and I will simply tell you to go back and watch the games again. There were times it was satifactory, but few times where it was above average, and more times where it completely sucked. Iupati goes a long way to correct that problem and NO i'm not one of those people that are overwhelmingly pleased with either Mathis, Livings, or even Bobbie for that matter. Honestly, with all the people finally starting to see what i've seen in Iupati this season and some scouts saying he may be able to hold the RT spot, I think his stock will keep going up. He's a monster and if you want to judge him on one game (senior bowl), i've got one word for you. DUMB...

The tight end position is in need of another player, but when and who ?? I just can't envision taking a risk on Gresham in the first coming off his knee surgery. To big of a risk at a position the Bengals don't emphasize. The arguement has been, "if they had better players there, maybe they would emphasize it" and while that may hold water to a degree, I still don't see them using anything more than maybe another 3rd comp pick to address that area.

Looking at what I just wrote and thinking we have a third round comp pick, those could very well be the top four positions drafted based upon the player available when we pick. BPA at those positions of need, with the chance of a pass rusher getting in the mix if the right one is there.

There you go Supa...

I've been out of the loop and will be again here shortly, but thought I would chime back in on this. (To give Supa a break...) :sure:

Do we need a playmaker WR ?? Yes, of course we do. Are we willing to spend a first in the hopes that rookie cures the ills of the WR corps ?? I honestly hope not unless Bryant somehow falls, which I'm not expecting. Williams out of USC is still my guy in the first IF we go wide out AND Bryant is off the board.

We absolutely need a safety regardless of Roy Williams coming back or not and if Mays or Thomas are there, it would be very difficult to see them passing on them minus someone else falling as well. If multiple players fall at positions of need, I see the chance to trade down becoming more appealing.

If Iupati is there, I still think he presents the best option for what this team needs assuming the other players i've mentioned are off the board. People here can disagree with me in thinking the pass blocking was actually good last season all they want and I will simply tell you to go back and watch the games again. There were times it was satifactory, but few times where it was above average, and more times where it completely sucked. Iupati goes a long way to correct that problem and NO i'm not one of those people that are overwhelmingly pleased with either Mathis, Livings, or even Bobbie for that matter. Honestly, with all the people finally starting to see what i've seen in Iupati this season and some scouts saying he may be able to hold the RT spot, I think his stock will keep going up. He's a monster and if you want to judge him on one game (senior bowl), i've got one word for you. DUMB...

The tight end position is in need of another player, but when and who ?? I just can't envision taking a risk on Gresham in the first coming off his knee surgery. To big of a risk at a position the Bengals don't emphasize. The arguement has been, "if they had better players there, maybe they would emphasize it" and while that may hold water to a degree, I still don't see them using anything more than maybe another 3rd comp pick to address that area.

Looking at what I just wrote and thinking we have a third round comp pick, those could very well be the top four positions drafted based upon the player available when we pick. BPA at those positions of need, with the chance of a pass rusher getting in the mix if the right one is there.

There you go Supa...

Thank you...now, was that so hard? :D

There you go Supa...

Of course not and most here know I love when the draft talk kicks off and enjoy the draft tremendously. That being said, I spent all of last week in Orlando Florida on a family vacation, turned off the cell phone, didn't watch TV, and didn't log onto a computer the whole time. It was great !!! Like I said earlier though, I'll be out for a while here soon, so this will have to suffice. I'd bet a large amount of money what I just wrote will hold at least that long, if not all the way to draft day, minus some free agent signing.

There you go Supa...

Of course not and most here know I love when the draft talk kicks off and enjoy the draft tremendously. That being said, I spent all of last week in Orlando Florida on a family vacation, turned off the cell phone, didn't watch TV, and didn't log onto a computer the whole time. It was great !!! Like I said earlier though, I'll be out for a while here soon, so this will have to suffice. I'd bet a large amount of money what I just wrote will hold at least that long, if not all the way to draft day, minus some free agent signing.

I live just outside of Orlando...you should've said something and I could've showed you around a bit. B)

There you go Supa...

I live just outside of Orlando...you should've said something and I could've showed you around a bit. B)

I didn't even put thought to it. Sorry I missed it. We hope to be back again, so I will have to remember...

A couple of points.

First, I like Iupat and I've got zero problems with the idea of drafting a OG at #21. But is Iupati really a player who is worthy of that type of consideration? I simply can't offer much of an opinion on that front precisely because the Senior Bowl is indeed the only game I've watched him play, and by all accounts Iupati's performance in that game was a bit of a mixed bag.

And then there's the hype. Listening to Mike Mayoch and his sidekicks wax poetically about how they'd just seen Iupati produce the single greatest demonstration of athletic skill, on kick coverage no less, certainly gets your blood pumping. At least until a few seconds later when they show the film of Iupati doing nothing more than running down the field in a non-contact drill. Granted, the guy didn't fall down, but Iupati wasn't even the fastest "biggie" in the drill.

There you go Supa...

I didn't even put thought to it. Sorry I missed it. We hope to be back again, so I will have to remember...

:cheers:

A couple of points.

First, I like Iupat and I've got zero problems with the idea of drafting a OG at #21. But is Iupati really a player who is worthy of that type of consideration? I simply can't offer much of an opinion on that front precisely because the Senior Bowl is indeed the only game I've watched him play, and by all accounts Iupati's performance in that game was a bit of a mixed bag.

And then there's the hype. Listening to Mike Mayoch and his sidekicks wax poetically about how they'd just seen Iupati produce the single greatest demonstration of athletic skill, on kick coverage no less, certainly gets your blood pumping. At least until a few seconds later when they show the film of Iupati doing nothing more than running down the field in a non-contact drill. Granted, the guy didn't fall down, but Iupati wasn't even the fastest "biggie" in the drill.

I vote "NO" for drafting any OG in the first round...in any year, at almost any pick. If OG is indeed a need, it's one of the easiest positions in football to find quality talent in almost any round in the draft, in most years. Even top talents, like our most recent high-pick OG in Eric Steinbach, usually go no higher than early in the second round. I believe that Mathis played very well, and I think he'll be even better in '10. You have to remember than he played one position for the first time in his career in '09. Livings is also a capable backup, who's shown he can also be a positive in the starting lineup, if needed.

Needless to say, if the Bengals select Iupati over Gresham, Hernandez or even Mays, it'll be a disappointment. I think this could be the year that we trade down and pick up another early pick or two. We need at least two starters on offense, more depth in the secondary, and a pash-rusher would be nice (in any order).

I hate to admit it, but I'm actually warming to the idea of taking Mays, after watching him in the Senior Bowl. He has pretty good range, is a hitting machine and he adds even more swagger to the defense. We need to remember that the Bengals are playing a first-place schedule in '10, against teams that for the most part, are able to run the football. Mays would benefit in playing in a secondary that features two of the best man-coverage CBs in football in Joseph and Hall. He might not be Ed Reed, but he should be at least Roy Williams, minus the injuries.

I vote "NO" for drafting any OG in the first round...in any year, at almost any pick.

After last seasons draft debates I wouldn't expect you to say anything different. After all, you repeatedly showed disdain for the very idea of using the 6th overall pick on any OT if he was targeted for the right side. To be fair, you could still end up being right on that score, but even though DE is often considered more worthy of Top 10 consideration, as you argued last year, Buffalo didn't get a flippin' thing out of the player you were pimping.

Even top talents, like our most recent high-pick OG in Eric Steinbach, usually go no higher than early in the second round.

True, but one of the things since learned is Steinbach isn't a top talent at all. In fact, his physical shortcomings make him a distinct liability at times. And there's the rub because the one thing Iupati has going for him are massive size, raw power, and the ability to move as well as a much smaller man. In short, rare upside potential that tweeners like Steinbach will never have.

Needless to say, if the Bengals select Iupati over Gresham, Hernandez or even Mays, it'll be a disappointment.

I wouldn't bat an eye, and that's coming from a guy who still isn't completely sold on Iupati.

Alan Faneca & Steve Hutchison were 1st round picks and last time I checked 2 of the best guards in football and well worth their 1st round selection...So Ya I'd say there is a difference between a 1st round talent & a 6th.

Oh and some Probowl Guards

Davin Joseph 23rd Pick of the draft

Leonard Davis 2nd overall!

Chris Snee 2nd round 2nd Pick

You bring up Steinbach he wasn't even like a real 2nd rounder :P He was the 1st pick in the 2nd round....I think the Mindset that you can get a draft a guard anywhere in the Draft that there isn't that big of a difference leads to the type of play we got out of it this year....

PS,More highly drafted Guards

Ben Grubbs 29th overall

Chris Chester 2nd rounder

Logan Mankins 32nd overall

Deuce Lutui 2nd rounder

Alan Faneca & Steve Hutchison were 1st round picks and last time I checked 2 of the best guards in football and well worth their 1st round selection...So Ya I'd say there is a difference between a 1st round talent & a 6th.

Oh and some Probowl Guards

Davin Joseph 23rd Pick of the draft

Leonard Davis 2nd overall!

Chris Snee 2nd round 2nd Pick

You bring up Steinbach he wasn't even like a real 2nd rounder :P He was the 1st pick in the 2nd round....I think the Mindset that you can get a draft a guard anywhere in the Draft that there isn't that big of a difference leads to the type of play we got out of it this year....

PS,More highly drafted Guards

Ben Grubbs 29th overall

Chris Chester 2nd rounder

Logan Mankins 32nd overall

Deuce Lutui 2nd rounder

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to All!!

Speaking of the Super Bowl, Kyle DeVan, Rien Diem, Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans are your starting OGs in today's big game. Two of those players were 4th round picks, one was a 5th round pick and one was undrafted. Keep in mind, they are starting players on the two most prolific offenses in the NFL.

I understand the points of the two previous posts, but my point is, you can find quality players to play OG later on in the draft. I know the track record for first-round Pro Bowlers is fairly decent at G, but the NFL All-Star game is almost a bigger joke than the MLB All-Star game, when you consider guys like Vince Young and David Garrard made it this year.

The more I think about it, the Bengals are in a good position to get an impact player at #21. You always see guys drop when the Top 10 drafts for need, which is been the recent trend with the rookie contracts these players get. For that reason, you'll never again see a OG drafted there, and a team will have to swallow hard to take even an elite prospect at OG in the Top 20. In 2009, Maclin, Pettigrew, Mack, Harvin and Oher were all drafted between picks 19-23, and I think the '10 draft class is equally loaded. At least three of those players had Top 10 grades, IMO, and an argument could've been made for everyone but Mack. Would you pull the trigger on Iupati if Dez Bryant were there? How about Derrick Morgan, Rolando McClain or Jason Paul-Pierre in that scenario? With the number of QBs and OTs projected to go early, I'm saying today that at least one of those guys drop.

We would all be fools to think that Marvin would pick an OG over a future Pro Bowl MLB like McClain or a pash-rushing threat. Marvin has coveted both since 2003, and Zim was open about not getting to the QB this year after Odom went down.

Speaking of the Super Bowl, Kyle DeVan, Rien Diem, Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans are your starting OGs in today's big game. Two of those players were 4th round picks, one was a 5th round pick and one was undrafted. Keep in mind, they are starting players on the two most prolific offenses in the NFL.

Just because your starting in a superbowl doesn't make you probowl player, On top of Colts & Saints line being below avg when it comes to run blocking...Don't get me wrong you can find stud linemen in later rounds look at the Titans Oline they had one of the best and their guards were like 5th and 6th rounders but still clear difference between 1st round OG & a 4th round OG just like tends to be one for Safety and WR...So Saying it's not a "round 1" worthy position is kinda retarded.