Bengals have the 21st pick in the draft

icehole3

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to have Gilyard but 21 Does seem to high,Would love to have him in the 2nd....Hey maybe we will trade down wait we don't do that ^_^

I would love to have Mardy but 21 is way too high...I believe he will be there when we pick in the 2nd round(maybe), it just depends on how the 1st round goes.

Maybe something like:

Round 1: Earl Thomas, S, Texas(I am now thinking Mays will go in the Top 15)

Round 2: Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati(he had a rough day 1 at the Senior Bowl)

I also read something that we prob. will get a 3rd round comp. pick for TJ and maybe even a 3rd for Stacy Andrews...

By the way, Mike Iupati didn't impress at all today...def. not worth the #21 pick. Granted its only 1 practice but its the only time I've ever seen him play and my first impression is all I have to go by.

Well I'd say give it more then one day to judge,I'm guessing there's a reason he was considered 1# Guard in college and Army has a hard on for...Always could be practice like Jane Play like Tarzan but would seem like alot of players didn't impress day 1 including Tibow ;)

We all know the Bengals don't have problem with drafting potential problems.

Keep in mind Army, that Marvin Lewis didn't really have a choice but to take a chance, as our talent pool was relatively low when we drafted many of those guys. I think now that we have more overall talent, they will be less likely to mess with the chemistry and draft a "Problem Child".

By the way, Mike Iupati didn't impress at all today...def. not worth the #21 pick. Granted its only 1 practice but its the only time I've ever seen him play and my first impression is all I have to go by.

Well I'd say give it more then one day to judge,I'm guessing there's a reason he was considered 1# Guard in college and Army has a hard on for...Always could be practice like Jane Play like Tarzan but would seem like alot of players didn't impress day 1 including Tibow ;)

Agreed. :sure:

And its Tebow damnit! ^_^

We all know the Bengals don't have problem with drafting potential problems.

Keep in mind Army, that Marvin Lewis didn't really have a choice but to take a chance, as our talent pool was relatively low when we drafted many of those guys. I think now that we have more overall talent, they will be less likely to mess with the chemistry and draft a "Problem Child".

A very good point but I believe its a team philosophy to take chances on players with extreme talent that drop for whatever reason...which I can honestly say I don't mind

1) G

2) Safety

3) posession WR

4) LB

5) Speed WR

It seems to me we already have some guards, safeties etc but no speed WR unless you're OK with Chad. I think Purify, Cosby or Coffman can be a possession receiver but we really don't have any possibilities for a speed WR

I agree with reds that a possession receiver is more important than a speedy one for us at the moment. This team is setting up for ball control more than anything. We need people to convert third downs and keep drives moving. A receiver that runs great routes and catches everything thrown his way would have solved a lot of the offense's problem this season.

That's not what the scouts reported at NFL.com think

/>http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story?id=09000d5d815fdb72&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Stock up

Kirwan's take

» Complete Senior Bowl coverage Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

The mammoth interior blocker has earned rave reviews for his sensational play throughout the North’s practice sessions. Iupati has absolutely dominated defenders at the point of attack, and his ability to routinely put elite players on the ground is indicative of his supremacy. Furthermore, the former Vandal has shown outstanding footwork and movement skills to complement his impressive combination of strength and power. With Iupati showing off a dazzling blend of skills, some scouts have projected him as a right tackle.

Here's my latest Mock Draft Big Board:

/>http://stripehype.com/2010/01/27/bengals-mock-draft-big-board-126-gresham-leads-but-wideouts-rule/

By player it's Gresham, but by position WR is the runaway favorite.

Tight End always seems like a top 3 position people give us...I just don't see it even if they wanna use Tight End sets...

Here's my latest Mock Draft Big Board:

http://stripehype.co...-wideouts-rule/

By player it's Gresham, but by position WR is the runaway favorite.

Tight End always seems like a top 3 position people give us...I just don't see it even if they wanna use Tight End sets...

It really depends on how they feel about Coffman and Kelly at this point, which they haven't shed too much light on.

My best guess is that they'll re-sign Kelly and possibly pick up a late® round blocking TE as insurance.

I agree with reds that a possession receiver is more important than a speedy one for us at the moment. This team is setting up for ball control more than anything. We need people to convert third downs and keep drives moving. A receiver that runs great routes and catches everything thrown his way would have solved a lot of the offense's problem this season.

They need a speed receiver to open up the field for people you want to throw to on 3rd down. Right now the defense is able to crowd the line of scrimmage and Carson is having a hard time finding open receivers to convert 3rd downs. If they have a stretch the field WR, that will take 2 defenders away from your possession receivers.

A receiver that runs great routes and catches everything thrown his way sounds like Quan Cosby to me. I wouldn't count that guy out. I think Purify could be that kind of guy too.

We've got several needs. It has to come down for the best value of the pick. What if a stud OL or DL falls to us at 21 and the 2nd and 3rd rounds are deep at WR? What if we pick up a TE in FA?

Don't look past Mike Iupati at Guard. Dude can run block and pass block and looks like the bigger version of Rey Maualuga.

Whatever happens, Iupati at 21 would make me happy. Could have no complaints with such a pick.

Agreed. Iupati is my number one choice. I believe the key to a good offense is a great O'line. Iupati has done nothing but impress at the Senior Bowl and I'm afraid someone might grab him before us. Guards don't usually even go in the 1st but he is so special and is far and away the best guard in the draft. He is easily worth the #21 pick. He has the talent and versatility to play tackle if needed as well.

I think safety is a huge need but this is an incredibly deep draft for safeties. Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, Myron Rolle, Major Wright, Chad Jones out of LSU. I would love to have any of them.

We also have to give Carson more weapons but this is a deep WR and TE draft as well IMO so I don't see that as a must have in the 1st round.

Whatever happens, Iupati at 21 would make me happy. Could have no complaints with such a pick.

Agreed. Iupati is my number one choice. I believe the key to a good offense is a great O'line. Iupati has done nothing but impress at the Senior Bowl and I'm afraid someone might grab him before us. Guards don't usually even go in the 1st but he is so special and is far and away the best guard in the draft. He is easily worth the #21 pick. He has the talent and versatility to play tackle if needed as well.

I think safety is a huge need but this is an incredibly deep draft for safeties. Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, Myron Rolle, Major Wright, Chad Jones out of LSU. I would love to have any of them.

We also have to give Carson more weapons but this is a deep WR and TE draft as well IMO so I don't see that as a must have in the 1st round.

There's a very good chance that Iupati will be there at #21. If he's seen as versitile enough to transition to OT then you would have to worry about the Steelers taking him at #18 possibly. Other than that, a Guard going as high as the #21 pick is unheard of.

I'm high on Iupati! I would love to have this beast on our team! Sadly I have a feeling he'll be taken before 21... :unsure:

I understand your concern but I think (hope!) hokie is correct. G and C aren't usually position that have gone very high in recent times. Mangold was the best C in the draft by a country mile a few yrs back. He went 24th overall I think. Arguably, C is a more important position than G too. There is a chance he is taken though - but the odds favour us for the time being. I guess if a coach does see him as a potential OT then maybe he's gone.

And yep, deepest safety class for yrs. At least half a dozen prospects who will make an impact for the their teams in their first yr. Probably another half a dozen who will be starters, for however long, for the teams that draft them in the yrs after.

If we ended up with Iupati and a combination of S & TE/WR, in whichever order taken, with the next 2 picks, colour me satisfied.

I understand your concern but I think (hope!) hokie is correct. G and C aren't usually position that have gone very high in recent times. Mangold was the best C in the draft by a country mile a few yrs back. He went 24th overall I think. Arguably, C is a more important position than G too. There is a chance he is taken though - but the odds favour us for the time being. I guess if a coach does see him as a potential OT then maybe he's gone.

And yep, deepest safety class for yrs. At least half a dozen prospects who will make an impact for the their teams in their first yr. Probably another half a dozen who will be starters, for however long, for the teams that draft them in the yrs after.

If we ended up with Iupati and a combination of S & TE/WR, in whichever order taken, with the next 2 picks, colour me satisfied.

Agreed Pidge. The odds def. are with us that if he's our guy, he'll more than likely be there. Unfortunately, if he's not there, that prob. means the Squeelers took him. :angry:

I saw a report that said we are seriously considering taking 2 receivers in this draft b/c we've given up on Jerome Simpson and lost all faith in Andre Caldwell and realize how much of a bust Coles is. If this is true,and I hope that it is, this a great draft for WRs.

Also, I know were the only team that doesn't give a chit about the tight end position, but all TJ was, was a tight end that lined up outside. I know that we drafted Coffman but I've lost all faith in people like that being developed by this coaching staff. I'll tell you who I want the most is Aaron Hernandez. I know we'll never take him but he is Dallas Clark-like. If his blocking is good enough for the Colts, its good enough for me. This crack staff thinks tight ends have to be another O'Lineman, when if you want a great passing game, you're tight ends have to be good receivers. And Reggie Kelly is a terrible receiver, Coats is a terrible receiver. Both good blockers but don't scare defenses past the line of scrimmage.

Caldwell atleast has a place as a 4# Cosby should remain 5# Because he's the punt returner...

Chad and Coles will be 1-3 no matter what we do because of how much they are paid...So really only see the team needing a 3# and then a project for the last WR spot..I really can't see them going WR more then once in top 3 rounds but I could see Multiple late round picks spent on WR to try and find a "gem"

Caldwell atleast has a place as a 4# Cosby should remain 5# Because he's the punt returner...

Chad and Coles will be 1-3 no matter what we do because of how much they are paid...So really only see the team needing a 3# and then a project for the last WR spot..I really can't see them going WR more then once in top 3 rounds but I could see Multiple late round picks spent on WR to try and find a "gem"

I think we need a complete overhaul at the wide receiver position. Chad stays forever young but he's getting up there in age and we have absolutely nothing behind him, nothing to feel hopeful for the future. Coles...I don't care how much he's paid, signing him was a mistake. Period. Losing Chris Henry way too early was tragic and our most talented WR by far. Caldwell, as much as I hate to say it being a former Gator, doesn't look like starting material. Cosby is a keeper and was one of our best receivers playing in the slot at the end of the year. Its about gawd damn time we make a f**king decision on Jerome Simpson. Either give him playing time or release him. I wouldn't mind 2 WRs taken in the first 4 or 5 picks. They can't just be late rounders hoping to find a gem...we need difference makers.