Bengals have the 21st pick in the draft

icehole3

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't get the love of a TE in the first. A safety, WR, Guard, DT all make more sense to me. It's like all of a sudden, the TE was the problem with this offense this year. Were they "going" to run more two TE sets ?? Yes, it was mentioned. Would that have made the difference with this season ?? I'm guessing not, since they made it to the playoffs with not a single TE worth much.

Once again. I can't see Kelly coming back and being productive and if all he brings is blocking, they did that just fine with an extra o-lineman this year. So, minus him, Coats, and Utecht. This team needs a FA vet tight end. Put him in there with Foschi and Coffman and they should be fine.

If the argument is getting another playmaker to catch the ball, WR should be the move with the aging guys we currently have in Chad and Coles. Simpson is garbage, the team has zero faith in Purify and all they have after that is Caldwell and Cosby since Henry's unfortunate passing. I wouldn't even mind seeing them go after a WR in FA or make a trade up in the draft to get someone they really want.

TE ?? Not so much...

A tight end, if used properly, makes everyone around him better, including the quarterback. Regardless of what type of offense the Bengals run, a tight end that can catch the ball and take the hits, opens up so many options. Also, a tight end in the first round wouldn't command as much salary as a WR. Since Coffman was a catching TE, I would suggest coverting him to a WR.

10 out of 12 playoff teams had a elite tight end,The other 2 was Bengals and the Cardinals who have the best WR's in the nfl...

With that being Said I haven't given up hope on Coffman I could see him being Our Dallas Clark but the problem is Our Offensive Staff Doesn't wanna use a Tight End that way they rather try force him to be something that he isn't.

I understand the points of the two previous posts, but my point is, you can find quality players to play OG later on in the draft.

Absolutely, and in theory I'm heavily in favor of doing just that. That said, the point you keep making is no player who plays a devalued position should be considered in the 1st round. All I'm saying is I would be willing to consider ANY position at #21...(wait for it)....if I believe the player in question has rare ability. Because regardless of whether we're talking about wideouts, linebackers, or guards....I want the special player.

Would you pull the trigger on Iupati if Dez Bryant were there?

Nope.

How about Derrick Morgan, Rolando McClain or Jason Paul-Pierre in that scenario?

No, hell no, and maybe.

With the number of QBs and OTs projected to go early, I'm saying today that at least one of those guys drop.

And if they don't? Because quite honestly I don't see any of the players named falling to #21.

Thoughts on Arrelious Benn? as a WR prospect? seems like good talent who got handed a shetty deal in college.

Two years ago I would have agreed, but he has a bad case of stone-hands right now. Not something we need to add to the drop-pass problem already occuring on the Bengals team. He maybe able to get back to where he was, but a confidence problem can become a serious problem, see Brad St. Louis.

Thoughts on Arrelious Benn? as a WR prospect? seems like good talent who got handed a shetty deal in college.

Two years ago I would have agreed, but he has a bad case of stone-hands right now. Not something we need to add to the drop-pass problem already occuring on the Bengals team. He maybe able to get back to where he was, but a confidence problem can become a serious problem, see Brad St. Louis.

I don't think he had a confidence problem, he had a QB problem. But that said, he definitely needs work on his technique and is probably more of an "upside" guy at the moment. I think both Bryant and Damien Williams are more NFL-ready.

I don't think he had a confidence problem, he had a QB problem. But that said, he definitely needs work on his technique and is probably more of an "upside" guy at the moment. I think both Bryant and Damien Williams are more NFL-ready.

No, I watched 3 Illini games last season and he has a bad case of the droppsies. Other WR's were able to catch the balls thrown to them, but Benn would drop many of his targets, even some that were very well thrown. I would skip on him until at least the third round, he has potential, but he has to be considered a project as of his recent problems.

I doubt Benn falls out of the 2nd unless he really tanks the combine. In fact, if he's there I could easily see the Bengals grabbing him in the 2nd, even if they went WR in the first.

Hopefully the Stealers or the Browns take him in the second than, I think he has bust written all over him. Can you say a poor man's Limas Sweed.

Great find in locating the source for the folks who know what he's REALLY about, in watching his career develop as they have, as Illini fans.

After doing my own researching, combinining that with my pre-existed opinions based on my own observations, and factoring in the thoughts from the guys who might known him the best, I've come to three letters that best describe him as a potential future Bengal:

DHB

As in, Darius Heyard Bey, who was the first WR drafted last year by the Oakland Raiders.

Good stats in college.

Incredible flashes.

Inconsistent Hands.

Sky-high potential.

Concentration Laps.

Great Combine performance.

More of a work-in-progress than finished product.

World-class athleticism.

I'll be the first to tell you that he's incredibly impressive at times. He's got a lot of RAC potential. I could easily see him developing into an Anquan Boldin type WR with more speed, and a bonafide deep threat, to boot.

I'll also be the first to tell you that he needs A LOT of coaching and is probably about 3 years away from reaching his full potential. He's as raw as they come, and showed flashes of brilliance based on the fact that he's the best athlete on the field in most games.

In that case, is he any more different than Jerome Simpson, at this point?

I'll also be the first to tell you that he needs A LOT of coaching and is probably about 3 years away from reaching his full potential. He's as raw as they come, and showed flashes of brilliance based on the fact that he's the best athlete on the field in most games.

In that case, is he any more different than Jerome Simpson, at this point?

Yeah, that's my read, too. If it were two years ago when we had Chad and TJ and Henry, Benn is worth the risk. But the Bengals need help at WR now, not in 2-3 years. If they are indeed targeting WR in the first, I find myself increasingly leaning toward the guy Hair was (IIRC) kind-sorta-pimping earlier, Damian Williams. Lower ceiling maybe, but much more ready to step in.

If they are indeed targeting WR in the first, I find myself increasingly leaning toward the guy Hair was (IIRC) kind-sorta-pimping earlier, Damian Williams. Lower ceiling maybe, but much more ready to step in.

To be fair, I mentioned Williams only because I like him as well, or better, than all of the more frequently mentioned 1st round WR prospects like boom-or-bust types LaFell, Benn, or Tate. Complicating maters further, I can't envision a prospect like Williams making a combine or pro day push. Certainly not like Benn will do.

Frankly, despite the obvious need, I find myself increasingly leaning towards any position but WR.

If they are indeed targeting WR in the first, I find myself increasingly leaning toward the guy Hair was (IIRC) kind-sorta-pimping earlier, Damian Williams. Lower ceiling maybe, but much more ready to step in.

To be fair, I mentioned Williams only because I like him as well, or better, than all of the more frequently mentioned 1st round WR prospects like boom-or-bust types LaFell, Benn, or Tate. Complicating maters further, I can't envision a prospect like Williams making a combine or pro day push. Certainly not like Benn will do.

Frankly, despite the obvious need, I find myself increasingly leaning towards any position but WR.

Tate belongs in the underrated category...not the boom-or-bust category

Tate belongs in the underrated category...not the boom-or-bust category

Tate is inconsistent against good competition, he puts up outstanding #'s against the slags on ND's schedule tnough. He is a big time boom or bust WR in the NFL, can he produce when the talent level is more consistent against him? Maybe.

Yeah, I know the feeling.

Trapped in a box?

Here's a dirty little confession from your's truly. After finally putting together a rather huge short list I quickly began playing mock games....eventually coming around to one where I traded the Bengals 3rd round pick to move up a half dozen slots and select Dez Bryant.

I didn't hate it. In fact, I'm finding the idea pretty hard to top.

:blush:

Yeah, I know the feeling.

Trapped in a box?

Here's a dirty little confession from your's truly. After finally putting together a rather huge short list I quickly began playing mock games....eventually coming around to one where I traded the Bengals 3rd round pick to move up a half dozen slots and select Dez Bryant.

I didn't hate it. In fact, I'm finding the idea pretty hard to top.

:blush:

I'd Be okay with it ^_^,Would like see Old Man move up in the draft for once and if find partner like the Browns it doesn't take that much hehe.

I could get behind a trade up for Bryant, but the conventional wisdom at the moment is that Marshall will be shipped out of Denver and the Broncs will grab Dez at 11.

I'm simply at the stage of my draft meanderings where I attempt to consider all possible options rather than attempting to narrow the field. In short, I'm trying to be inclusive rather than exclusive. So after stumbling over a few newer mocks showing Bryant falling to the Bengals at #21, something I DON'T see happening under any circumstance, I wondered what things might look like if the Bengals moved up a few slots.

To be fair, I've got plenty of doubts about a 3rd round pick being enough to get the job done, but if Bryant does begin to slide into the teens a move up might prevent other teams interested in Bryant from moving ahead of the Bengals, ala New Orleans and Sedric Ellis a few years ago.

And obviously the only reason anyone would consider such a move is if they felt the remaining WR options were unacceptable.

I like the Matt Jones signing, but curious about whether you guys think it lessons the need for a 1st round WR or not??

Personally, I think we still need another WR, but it's either Dez or bust in the first round.

As far as Williams goes, he just seems like a Steve Smith (NYG) type of WR to me. Nothing about him really blows you away, but you look up and he's had a great game every game of the season. Maybe kinda like Housh, too. In a fantasy world, and from that perspective, I don't know if I'd trade a 1st round pick for the Giants' Steve Smith, even though he had a Pro Bowl year.

Even with the recent signing of Jones and quite possibly of T.O. I think WR is a huge area of need. But I think we can wait until Rd. 2 to address the need. If Earl Thomas is there, I wouldn't hesitate. Safety is a HUGE need as well and Thomas is the playmaker on D that we need. I'd take Guilyard in rd. 2