Ced v. LJ

gregstephens

Back when the score was 23-7, and the Bengals decided to run as much as possible to avoid a fourth Palmer turnover, I personally was baffled why they didn't rest Ced, who had hit his 100 yards and is still recovering from the hip flexor strain, and put in fresh legs. I mean Ced had what, 36 carries? Any other thoughts on this?

Back when the score was 23-7, and the Bengals decided to run as much as possible to avoid a fourth Palmer turnover, I personally was baffled why they didn't rest Ced, who had hit his 100 yards and is still recovering from the hip flexor strain, and put in fresh legs. I mean Ced had what, 36 carries? Any other thoughts on this?

Yeah, my dad and I were shaking our heads pretty much the entire 4th quarter as Ced continued to pound it. Especially when the lions were stacking 9 in the box just daring us to throw and we still pounded it up the middle. I'm all for the coming out party -- but when a guy has 100+ yards on 25ish carries and we're up by 3 scores with 10 minutes to go . . . put the backup in man. I think LJ had 2 carries the whole game.

Yeah, my dad and I were shaking our heads pretty much the entire 4th quarter as Ced continued to pound it. Especially when the lions were stacking 9 in the box just daring us to throw and we still pounded it up the middle. I'm all for the coming out party -- but when a guy has 100+ yards on 25ish carries and we're up by 3 scores with 10 minutes to go . . . put the backup in man. I think LJ had 2 carries the whole game.

Not real smart, if you have a capable/sure-handed backup that is where he should be used. Doubly LJ is a bruiser, north-south RB that is well suited for 3 yards and a cloud of dust mop up duty.

All I can figure is that Benson was hungry to prove that he was still the #1 and was asking them to let him keep pounding it. If they thought it could be a good confidence builder for the guy after having been injured, I guess that's okay, but I don't think that confidence building is worth piling on another injury. Just speculating here, I don't see any other rational reason for it.

this is the kind of stuff that kills me.

Benson does not need to carry 35+ times a game, that is just dumb. They should have given LJ upwards of 12-15 of those.

I hope this team does not mis-manage its way out of a chance to host a playoff game.

I don't agree with any of this. Ced just had a nice rest, and he showed earlier in the season he can recover week to week. He's a young bellcow, and we're in total meatgrinder mode. It's a match made in heaven.

He seems like a fast healer, he came back from that leg strain quickly and he looks just as good as before. The only time I'd support taking him out of a game is if we have no ability to upgrade our playoff spot in the last game or two of the season.

You all make good points on trying to save our guy for later, but unlike some of the lighter backs in the league, Ced just doesn't look to me like a guy getting worn down. He's the bruiser, not the bruisee. If this was B Scott logging these kinds of carry numbers, I'd be on board with trying to restrict him.

Off topic: LMAO at the Steelers.

Plus, tbh, were Ced to be injured later on the yr, we'd lose a little for sure, but LJ with a healthy spell of Scott and the ever reliable and clutch Leonard, would still give us a scary enough run game behind this line. And he might not be injured so whatever, it's not like I know or care about the guy personally and he seems happy enough being ridden like a pony.

I don't agree with any of this. Ced just had a nice rest, and he showed earlier in the season he can recover week to week. He's a young bellcow, and we're in total meatgrinder mode. It's a match made in heaven.

He seems like a fast healer, he came back from that leg strain quickly and he looks just as good as before. The only time I'd support taking him out of a game is if we have no ability to upgrade our playoff spot in the last game or two of the season.

You all make good points on trying to save our guy for later, but unlike some of the lighter backs in the league, Ced just doesn't look to me like a guy getting worn down. He's the bruiser, not the bruisee. If this was B Scott logging these kinds of carry numbers, I'd be on board with trying to restrict him.

Off topic: LMAO at the Steelers.

From a practical aspect, I couldn't help but wonder if we could've made more gains and chewed more clock with the fresher back in. While there is always the risk of reinjury (see Stafford), the practical thought was as equally on my mind. Of course, it's all speculative, but hey, it's what we got to discuss right now with things going so well.

From a practical aspect, I couldn't help but wonder if we could've made more gains and chewed more clock with the fresher back in. While there is always the risk of reinjury (see Stafford), the practical thought was as equally on my mind. Of course, it's all speculative, but hey, it's what we got to discuss right now with things going so well.

As happy as I was with LJ's performance last week, I was amazed at how much more burst Benson had compared to what LJ showed last week. Sure Larry was probably more fresh by the time the 4th quarter rolled around... but technically, so was I. That doesn't mean they should have been giving the ball to me.

Benson just looks like a distinctively better RB than LJ at this point. And since the Bengals weren't winning by 30, I had no problem with Benson continuing to get the carries. I also am not against letting LJ share the load in the 4th quarter. I'm just in no way outraged by the fact that they continued giving it to the better back.

The monstrous number of carries Benson has had were a concern before he sat on the bench for two weeks. IMO, it's good they worked him so much yesterday. The Bengals went right back to the formula that won them so many games early in the year rather than tinkering with things and getting cute. I expected Larry to get more carries, but I'm not disappointed I was wrong.

I figure Larry will get some carries eventually if Benson continues at this torrent pace, but only to spell him. That might mean two carries again, frankly.

the ever reliable and clutch Leonard,

Did you check out the teams hit he laid on someone Sunday? Beauty. Props to Bengals personnel dept. for finding and keeping this kid.

Yep, for nothing as well. He could be our Kevin Faulk in the future. A versatile guy who just keeps converting clutch 3rd down after clutch 3rd down.

My guess is they don't want Cedric to get pissed off so will ride his ass for next 2 years and more finilly find a young body to pair with Scott after that.

PS,Agreed with Leonard the guy may not be the best "true" running back but everything else he does a awesome job at...Glad we have him he was a great replacement for what we loss in Watson & TJ.

My guess is they don't want Cedric to get pissed off so will ride his ass for next 2 years and more finilly find a young body to pair with Scott after that.

It would be a very good idea. Wear him out for the next couple of yrs and replenish with a new guy. A new RB every 5 yrs should do it. No massive contracts either after their rookie deal is up.

I agree 100% with the decision to keep giving it to Benson. He probably could have played last week, but after having 2 weeks off, he looked great.

After already having suffered 2 last minute defeats this season, I dont think there is any way Marvin was going to sit Benson. You play 60 minutes of Football, and unless you're up by 4 TD's in the 4th, you play your starters. You cant think about "saving" them for later in the season....YOU CANT allow yourself to think ahead. We ONLY won by 10 points.......

....you guys dont think the Bengals know all about LJ? and the fact that last year he FUMBLED 5 times in ONLY 193 Carries? You dont think they know that? By comparison, Cedric has ONLY 1 fumble this season in 241 Carries....you protect the ball at the end of games...THATS WHY Cedric was still in the game.

I agree 100% with the decision to keep giving it to Benson. He probably could have played last week, but after having 2 weeks off, he looked great.

After already having suffered 2 last minute defeats this season, I dont think there is any way Marvin was going to sit Benson. You play 60 minutes of Football, and unless you're up by 4 TD's in the 4th, you play your starters. You cant think about "saving" them for later in the season....YOU CANT allow yourself to think ahead. We ONLY won by 10 points.......

....you guys dont think the Bengals know all about LJ? and the fact that last year he FUMBLED 5 times in ONLY 193 Carries? You dont think they know that? By comparison, Cedric has ONLY 1 fumble this season in 241 Carries....you protect the ball at the end of games...THATS WHY Cedric was still in the game.

And I suppose that line of thought was discussed RIGHT before Palmer threw what I think was his last throw of the game...the second pick?

I agree i thought it was stupid to run him that much. You have a great runner in LJ who should have gotten some carries. We get it Marvin Ced is the starter and that is great but dont burn him out before the the playoffs.

I wonder if he is worried about the Locker room if he puts LJ in lol lol.

Did you check out the teams hit he laid on someone Sunday? Beauty. Props to Bengals personnel dept. for finding and keeping this kid.

Loved it. What was telling to me about this hit was it seemed like Leonard didn't budge an inch during the hit. That takes some strength.

I agree. I am not sure if Cedric is (or was) trying to me macho or worried about his job but the team should have rested him when things were no longer in doubt. Maybe Marvin was just trying to reassure him that it is still his job. But I think having a game-shape-ready LJ is important too. I think having him on game films each week might make it difficult for DC's to scheme against our running game since you don't know who might be in there at any given time.

Yep, for nothing as well. He could be our Kevin Faulk in the future. A versatile guy who just keeps converting clutch 3rd down after clutch 3rd down.

Leapin' Leonard

It surely was a calculated risk considering the score and opponent, but I'm OK with Ced getting those carries. Prior to Sunday, he only had 7 carries in the last 3 weeks, and I would imagine that it was clear to most fans that there was some rust there, after being out.

Needless to say, next week is a huge game against one of the best run-stopping defenses in all of football, and we need Benson firing on all cylinders. I would've like to see more out of LJ, though.

Another thing I've considered is that it's possible the Bengals didn't want to tip their hand too much, before going to Minny. With the Vikes front seven, I'm expecting the Bengals to open it up more than they've done since maybe the Chicago game.