Do other fans do this?

cincyhokie

Ironically as I'm listening to 700 WLW a guy calls in pretending to be a Bengals fan as he calls the "locker room a mess" and says Lewis has "no control over the team". Lance promptly hung up on him. Then I come on here and there are a handful of new posters acting as Bengals fans.

Question(s): How does being a fan of a consistent winner and 6 SB make a fanbase so insecure? Or better yet take the time to pose as someone they're not? What happens to the psyche of a Steelers fan if the Steelers don't dominate?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does being a fan of a consistent winner and 6 SB make a fanbase so insecure?

I think it has more to do with the insecurity that comes from being born and raised in a local society built soley around the act of smoking corn cob pipes.

Or better yet take the time to pose as someone they're not?

If you were from eastern Pennsylvania wouldn't you pretend to be from somewhere else?

What happens to the psyche of a Steelers fan if the Steelers don't dominate?

Most of them retreat into the bottle OR a crackpipe...usually handmade from corn cobs.

If you were from eastern Pennsylvania wouldn't you pretend to be from somewhere else?

I assume you mean central/western PA if you're dogging the Steelers, but yeah. You ever drive the PA turnpike? I've been on that thing on my way from DC back to Cincinnati, and sheebus, it's like somebody took the set for Deliverance and made it a state. And I say this as someone whose family comes from Eastern KY and WV.

I ain't seen nothin' like central PA.

The funny thing is - and I know this board hates PFT - but if you ever check the comments sections on Steelers stories, it's hilarious. Does Pittsburgh even have compulsory education past the 3rd grade? None of those idjits can write a coherent sentence.

It's like the Raider and Steeler fans are trying to have a "who's the biggest bunch of dirtbag, lowlife morons?" contest. So far, it's neck and neck.

It's like the Raider and Steeler fans are trying to have a "who's the biggest bunch of dirtbag, lowlife morons?" contest. So far, it's neck and neck.

Today Steeler fans, pretending to be new Cincinnati fans here claimed the title of ultimate dirtbags/lowlifes. No contest whatsoever.

Today Steeler fans, pretending to be new Cincinnati fans here claimed the title of ultimate dirtbags/lowlifes. No contest whatsoever.

Shoot, we didn't need today's passel of inbreds to tell us that. Just check out captain douchebag here (and whats up with the steelers swim cap/aunt jemima do-rag thing, anyway?) :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1TNazUK-lI

Y'know, I seem to recall some a$$hole Pittsburgh sports reporter taking a bunch of quotes out of context off this very board to write and article about how Cincy fans were classless for reveling in Big Jen's motorcycle accident.

Uh-huh.

Shoot, we didn't need today's passel of inbreds to tell us that. Just check out captain douchebag here (and whats up with the steelers swim cap/aunt jemima do-rag thing, anyway?) :

Y'know, I seem to recall some a$$hole Pittsburgh sports reporter taking a bunch of quotes out of context off this very board to write and article about how Cincy fans were classless for reveling in Big Jen's motorcycle accident.

Uh-huh.

wow.

Surely every fanbase has their share of low IQ homers, those who find evelopes difficult to operate, some who even have figured out how to use their webcam to record their ramblings, but this guy is a new, mutated form. Is Pittsburgh's water so bad, are they so inbred, are they so chromosomally damaged?

wow.

Is Pittsburgh's water so bad, are they so inbred, are they so chromosomally damaged?

Yes, yes, and yes.

There's also the effect of statistical selection. Over the last 30 years of Pissburgh's economic collapse, anybody who could get a job or a bus ticket somewhere else, did.

The gentleman you observed is what happens when those left behind start breeding.

Uh-huh.

Ya see, there is a guy who has clearly never stepped foot on a football field. He has the nerve to say that he has no respect for a Bengals team who beat them earlier in the year. Yes, Pittsburgh missed some opportunities in that game, but Cincy made a lot of plays and won the damn football game.

As much as I dislike the Steelers, that doesn't mean I don't have respect for them as an organization. I have enormous respect for what they've done as an organization, and I respect the hell out of Mike Tomlin. Ignoring the fact that they're a damn good football team who does a lot of things the right way makes us Steeler fans. He can run his mouth all he wants about being happy that Palmer was hurt, but that's a truly moronic fan for you. That being said, this is a very different team, even better than when we played them the first time around, and this is a tough, ballsy team with a lot of heart and a lot of energy generated from the fact that these we're a group of guys that nobody wanted. I really like this group, they're playing with a huge chip on their shoulder, and this is really a group that makes me proud to be a Bengals fan. I believe in this Bengal team and I look forward to going out and getting a win on Sunday.

Here's my actual theory: Fans of traditionally bad teams, present company included, love rooting for their team, win or lose. They have to, otherwise why would they stick around during the bad years. Your enjoyment comes from the process. Fans of "winners" are in it for the "rush" of winning. When things are bad they are like junkies in withdrawal. Their enjoyment comes from the results, not from the process.

If you lift weights every week b/c you love going to the gym and lifting with your buddies, then meeting an NFL lineman who can bench 600 lbs doesn't damage your self worth. But if you lift to be the biggest guy in the room at all times, when you meet that same lineman your sense of self is threatened.

There are real Steelers fans out there, but we never hear from them. They have no need to be jerks to enjoy themselves. It's an insecure vocal minority (a minority that given relative numbers is still huge) that causes all the problems.

Here's my actual theory: Fans of traditionally bad teams, present company included, love rooting for their team, win or lose. They have to, otherwise why would they stick around during the bad years. Your enjoyment comes from the process. Fans of "winners" are in it for the "rush" of winning. When things are bad they are like junkies in withdrawal. Their enjoyment comes from the results, not from the process.

If you lift weights every week b/c you love going to the gym and lifting with your buddies, then meeting an NFL lineman who can bench 600 lbs doesn't damage your self worth. But if you lift to be the biggest guy in the room at all times, when you meet that same lineman your sense of self is threatened.

There are real Steelers fans out there, but we never hear from them. They have no need to be jerks to enjoy themselves. It's an insecure vocal minority (a minority that given relative numbers is still huge) that causes all the problems.

Yeah, that seems to be the way it is. However, I have met a few Steelers fans over the years that have been pretty cool. Heck, a couple of years ago ( don't remember where) my kids and I in a parking lot heading for my car. Parked next to me was a guy with Steelers stuff all over his SUV. The twins (clad in the 85 jerseys) started booing the guy and he thought it was hilarious and was really cool about the whole thing.

There are decent Steeler fans out there, it's just a rare find.

That sounds pretty much right on. I think you're right too in that their are the few that speak the loudest for the rest of them. The interesting thing is that if it were the Colts or 49ers could you see the fans reacting in this way? What about the Cowboys or Giants fans? Where does the insecurity come from? Regional? The fact that the city of Pittsburgh is a stagnant armpit that no one wants anything to do with except for clinging to their winning football team?

The fact is that there is nowhere to go but down for them and the falling part is really really hard. 2006, the year after they won the Superbowl, they went 8-8 and you would have thought the fanbase was going to commit mass suicide.

Come on, now. You guys sure do overreact. A bunch of guys posing as obvious fakes ("CalicoCat" and "Ced Tres Dos", etc.) just putting some posts on your message board equates to a stunning lack of class and decorum? It's the internet equivalent of inbreeding and booing cars with other colors on them? It shows a glaring insecurity?

Come on, now. You guys sure do overreact. A bunch of guys posing as obvious fakes ("CalicoCat" and "Ced Tres Dos", etc.) just putting some posts on your message board equates to a stunning lack of class and decorum? It's the internet equivalent of inbreeding and booing cars with other colors on them? It shows a glaring insecurity?

STFU fagget.. We'll get the last laugh Sunday.

STFU fagget (sic).. We'll get the last laugh Sunday.

I'll bet you won't.

STFU fagget.. We'll get the last laugh Sunday.

I'll bet you won't.

Whatever dude.. You guys are really classy. Coming over here to our boards, wasting everyone's time, just to start s**t... This is a game that the Steelers are supposed to win, you're at home. We already did our job. Now it's time for you to do yours. We're in the drivers seat.

I'll bet you won't.

Whatever dude.. You guys are really classy. Coming over here to our boards, wasting everyone's time, just to start s**t... This is a game that the Steelers are supposed to win, you're at home. We already did our job. Now it's time for you to do yours. We're in the drivers seat.

Uhhh...yeah. Of course you are. I don't think anybody would think otherwise.

But, like you guys said, we aren't actually playing. We realize this. Us coming on here and posting about your striped asses is not going to affect James Farrior or Ike Taylor or Leon Hall or Domata Peko or anybody actually playing in the game.

We like the Steelers chances, you like the Bengals chances. That should be evident from the start.

I'll bet you won't.

Uhhh...yeah. Of course you are. I don't think anybody would think otherwise.

But, like you guys said, we aren't actually playing. We realize this. Us coming on here and posting about your striped asses is not going to affect James Farrior or Ike Taylor or Leon Hall or Domata Peko or anybody actually playing in the game.

We like the Steelers chances, you like the Bengals chances. That should be evident from the start.

Being classy Bengals fans, I allowed you the final thought before I banned your tail. Tell the boys at stillernation to remove the admin approval function off the forum so other people can pull what you boneheads pulled off yesterday.

Or are ya' chikin'?

I don't consider it "stunning". I'm not surprised by the juvenile tactics of ignorant Stealers fans. It is, however, extremely annoying to wade through 60 posts of bulls**t to find one worth reading.