Initial Ravens Week Thoughts

membengal

This one remains on the offense, as Baltimore's D has been far more vulnerable, for those of you not paying attention, than they have been in some time. They miss Rex Ryan. A lot. That said, they are not a sieve. But they are capable of being passed on. And they have a problem with screens to quick guys. I would like to see more Bernard Scott in this game on the edge, and they have to find a way to complete some balls downfield. Ravens are on another one of their have-not-allowed-a-100-yard-rusher streaks, now at 39. I don't want to see a ton of Benson between the tackles on first down.

The Ravens offense is absolutely for real. And they are passing like they are the 2007 Patriots. 47 passes to 17 runs yesterday in New England. And ran the ball well on those mere 17 runs. They are a handful. We need Tank and Roy back, and everyone else to heal up.

I really don't like Cincy's chances in this one (duh), but NE is coming off an emotional loss, and bitching about the refs, so they are not 100% focused on just the opponent at this point. That will fade by Wednesday, but Cincy has a chance to catch the Ravens on a bit of an emotional down point, even though they are a divisional opponent.

I do think the Bengals can keep it close into the 4th quarter, and then we shall see. I think they will need defensive/special teams points and a long play or two from somone like Scott to steal it. That's a hard formula. We shall see.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. It will be a tough game. We have played tougher opponents than the Ravens have so far. I think it will be a test for both teams.

I just want to see a fundamentally sound game. Hold on to the ball. Low penalties. Good snaps and holds. We do that, I think we can win this game. Take the fans out early and try not to let them in.

havent they given up over 100 points now so far? Their defense isnt their strength anymore. There are holes. Carson needs to step up and pick them apart. High percentage passes.

Im already nervous for this game.

I am not sure on this game, I had to go to work yesterday at 2:30 and missed the 2nd half of the Cleveland game, but last night I saw that the Browns rookie WR had I think 148 yards, and I think JFlacco is better than DAnderson even though DAnderson seems to play well against the Bengals...The secondary to me seems to be a weak point on the team, but that could be from a lack of passrush...At this point I'm not liking matchups with good passing teams unless we play more in your face coverage or get more passrush to help CB's...

This game doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy, but these two teams aren't the same from last year either.

The Bengals finally are finding ways to win games and have some real heart to themselves. The defense is a better unit, able to hold teams to FG's instead of TD's in the Red Zone and with Carson in, the team always has a shot to win if they can keep things close.

The Ravens defense has been giving up points that is uncharacteristic of them, but have an offense that seems to be very dangerous. They can pass and run, but agree with the level of competition they have faced to this point.

The way I see it is, they will need to get at least Roy back and Tank wouldn't hurt either. They need to remain the focused team they have been to this point and get to the task of preparing for a Ravens team that I think will be hard to beat in Baltimore. The offense needs to find a way to get the timing down and I think this would be a good game to feature more change of pace in the running game. The defense needs to find a way to put pressure on Flacco without always being in blitz mode. We also need to have a game where we don't have at least one botched snap on a FG or extra point attempt...

Bottomline is, this would be the perfect game for this team to put together a balanced, well concerted effort for the entire game.

They will need it to win...

Personally I think this will be the toughest game of the season to see how they come back from the farce this week. I think we will keep it close but in the end we will lose to the ravens.

The reason anderson gashed us was as lap said they targeted Jjoe who looked to be labouring and couldnt keep up with massaquai once hall was put on him he quieted down a bit. I think zimmer schemed badly for the browns and didnt adjust he does that against the ravens then we are in for a world of hurt points wise.

I want to go 4-1 as much as anybody but the farcical playcalling atm is killing us, I can just picture it.

Brat: ok carson lets go HB dive right at rogers erm maybe not hang on let me think

Carson - coach there is ten seconds left on the play clock

Brat : errrrr hang on (sounds of dice rolling) ok go for play 8

Carson : oh heck hurry up guys ( sounds of a whistle) oh ffs another delay of game.....

I'm not confident coming into this game but then again I was obviously overly confident going into the Clowns game and look how that turned out!

The big plus about this Bengals team is they know how to win the close game. If we keep it close, I'm pretty confident, we know we've been tested late.

I agree, this isn't the same Gayvens D of old, and they look like they miss Rex Ryan and Bart Scott! Thank gawd they don't have McAlister anymore! They still have great players, so our O has to play better.

Their O scares me to death after getting schooled by the Clowns. Our D has a long way to go still. I don't know if JJ and Leon are the right corners for this D! It's redikulus to be getting schooled by Massaquoi! Our D has been getting worse every week, which is scary.

There defense will dominate us because we have Brat. The Ravens should have beat the Pats in NE but dropped a pass and lost. We would have been better off if they won. They will be ready.They are used to playing in big games they played 3 games with the Steelers last year. They are a proven commodity we are not.I hope we win but I would be very shocked if we did. Hopefully Carson can escape unharmes and we can beat Chic and Hou here.

We would have been better off if they won.

I'm not trying to be smart with you here because I have heard this said by more than a handful of people since last week, but I have a question...

How is it ever better for an AFCN team to win ??

The Ravens would still be a game ahead of us and instead of playing for the outright division lead, we would be playing for a share of it. If we don't win, we are only a game back, as opposed to two games back. It's like people saying they are happy the Steelers won last night (which I haven't heard) because had they lost, they would be further back.

From an emotional standpoint, I can see where this is coming from, but it just doesn't make any sense to me...

Ravens offense is good but I don't think it's truly like a elite unit...just better then what they ever had before...

Defense well still good is feeling the loss of Rex & Is only getting older and our offense has matched up well vs it in past so we'll see...

I think we have as much chance of winning this game as losing it.

We would have been better off if [the Ravens] won.

I'm trying to come up with something less intelligent said by any of a number of intellect-challenged usual suspects here, but I have decided that you have found a new bottom, when I was certain the bottom had indeed already been found a number of times

Congratulations, sir.

Why again are you not relegated to Troll status?

My initial thoughts; stay the hell away from deep(ish) throws down the middle. Not with Ed Reed back there, it'll end in tears. Other than that, I actually think that, the polar opposite from past yrs, it will be their O against our D and whichever side wins that battle that will decide the outcome of the game.

Not feeling quite as confident about this game. The Ravens can score and score quickly. If the O plays as sloppily as they have for the first 4 games then by the 4th quarter the D will only have had to make three small mistakes and it's 21-0 with 10 minutes to go. As much as I lurve the way Carson has been clutch this yr I'm not sure he has that in him.

Yep im not to confident in this game either. Baltimores offense is great, just watch them when they are all in sync they are a great group. There defense is still the same, they will stop the run, and they will pressure Carson all day, so the o-line better be ready. Now with that said if Carson gets the protection i can see him making some throws and putting points on the board, but he needs to be careful with the ball. Somtimes Carson makes throws and i have no idea why he is throwing it.

The Bengals defense scares me, they need to get a better pass rush from the front 4, and Zimmer needs to blitz them like crazy. The need to do a better job with there run defense, they cant give up that big play. Dahni scares me if he is lined up with Heap all day he will get burned, I think B. Johnson needs to play more in this game. The secondary scares me Leon Hall is playing good, but J Joe is scaring me he is giving up huge plays these last couple of weeks, and nobody seems to be helping him like a safty over the top. This team has no nickel, and Crocker sucks as the Nickle corner, but they have yet to sign someone which to me is stupid. I guess maybe D. Jones will be back this week.

With that said this is a winnable game, and they need to play mistake free football, they need to find a way and sure up there mistakes on offense and defense, and special teams. Its going to take a compleat team win to beat them, and im scared to see what kind of team goes on the field. Hope its a good win!

Palmer had the Ravens number for a while, and TJ used to kill them. Last year was ugly but this team is soooo much better than last years Bengal team. It will be interesting for the maturity of this team. They could feel like they should be happy with 2 division win miracles. My 1st thought is the Ravens win, but a WR needs to step up.

Notable stat:

Bengals are 6-4 against the Ravens in the last 10 games between the two teams.

You would never have known it though since the Bengals are assumed by the media and opposing fans to have not beaten either the Ravens or Steelers since 2005.

This is a very winnable game.

I feel that its very important that we play strong the whole game. Being inconsistent in this game will for sure cause us to lose. We need the running game to run strong and help lead Carson to open up the field and pick apart the Ravens Defense. I think there are many more factors I am just touching a few to open this topic up. Thanks WHODEY!!!!

I feel that its very important that we play strong the whole game. Being inconsistent in this game will for sure cause us to lose.

I thought that about the Steelers game, I thought that about the Browns game, and Cincinnati walked away from both with a win. At this point I'm just willing to go with the flow because It's been so long since the Bengals racked up three wins in a row.

I feel that its very important that we play strong the whole game. Being inconsistent in this game will for sure cause us to lose.

I thought that about the Steelers game, I thought that about the Browns game, and Cincinnati walked away from both with a win. At this point I'm just willing to go with the flow because It's been so long since the Bengals racked up three wins in a row.

Ironically, it hasn't been that long ago. The Bengals won the last 3 games in 2008. That's the last 6 of 7 with the only loss being on the tipped pass. It is, however, been a long time since they have won 3 meaningful games in a row. Let's keep it going.

We would have been better off if [the Ravens] won.

I'm trying to come up with something less intelligent said by any of a number of intellect-challenged usual suspects here, but I have decided that you have found a new bottom, when I was certain the bottom had indeed already been found a number of times

Congratulations, sir.

Why again are you not relegated to Troll status?

Why would I be a troll? Wouldnt I have to be a fan of another team? Of course I know its better off they lost. Im saying from an emotional standpoint I would rather play a team not coming off a lose like that. The first post in this thread said that the ravens would be down and this was better for us I disagree.

Ironically, it hasn't been that long ago. The Bengals won the last 3 games in 2008. That's the last 6 of 7 with the only loss being on the tipped pass. It is, however, been a long time since they have won 3 meaningful games in a row. Let's keep it going.

Okay, lets just say 3 games that mean something.

I agree with that. It has seemed a like LONG time since we have had something to get excited about. This week is going to be interesting. Can the defense stop the Ravens enough to keep it close? More importantly can the offense stay on the field consistently enough to allow the defense to be fresh? This seemed like a huge problem with the defenses inability to slow down the Browns.

Bengals' o-line won't allow them to do much all day. Defense will have to be lights out and match the Ravens, or better them. I don't see it happening. 4-2 would be ok if they can bounce back the following week.

Im expecting this too. The Ravens are going to throw the kitchen sink after Palmer. But after watching the first 4 weeks I have come to expect the unexpected. 3-2 is not bad though coming home.

I'm sure you guy do realize this game will be for the lead in our division. Personally I never thought I'd be posting such words at this point in the 2009 season, but it is what it is, and I feel the team will again step up and provide us all with another 4th quarter heart attack.

Hey kids, I'm back. Here are my thoughts, they are ravens centered as I haven't watched any bengals games:

1. This offense is absolutely for real. It's all about the offensive line play, which has been outstanding. With the solid line play, TE's and Backs can go out on routes and don't need to stay in to help block, hence Todd Heap's resurgence. Flacco has been outstanding. Great zip, great accuracy, great pocket presence. He's making guys like Kelly Washington look like play makers. The philosophy on offense has become if there are 8 in the box, we pass, if there are 7 in the box, we run. The Patriots committed to take away the run and so we passed and passed and passed. I don't know if you're better against the run or the pass, but we'll attack wherever you are weaker.

2. I'm having a hard time making sense of the defense. Part of the problem stats wise is that with the offense scoring more opposing teams are passing more which is skewing the numbers. Our run defense numbers are off the charts, not b/c we are that good but b/c teams are passing to keep up in either blowouts or shootouts. Likewise the passing numbers look worse than the reality. The big plays on defense are still there, the turnovers and sacks.

If Palmer has a good day, if he does't make mistakes it may be a close game. You won't run, both b/c of the D and b/c the offense will score points.

I will actually be in the stands for this one, showing off my ravens tat.

Thoughts?