Draft Conversation

BengalPimp

First of all I find it laughable that some of you would want Gresham! Why draft a TE who cant block when you already have one on the roster. He would never play because the coaching staff would never give him the time of day.

Second of all why would a FA WR come here of all places?!?! You know they will all go to Washington its an uncapped year! DUH!

Lastly, I'd like the Bengals to come out and go after a SS or a WR. A SS is more of a need than ever and we all witnessed that tonight as Ndukwe certainly doesnt deserve to play in this league after he tried stripping the ball from the WR rather than pulling him out of bounds. A Taylor Mays would be a good option if available

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be PISSED if Gresham was the pick. No two ways about it.

Funny, tonight's game just made me want Gresham more. Might even move my flag out of camp DT for once. We need more firepower on offense.

First of all I find it laughable that some of you would want Gresham! Why draft a TE who cant block when you already have one on the roster. He would never play because the coaching staff would never give him the time of day.

Um, actually, he's a decent blocker.

We will hype a TE all the way to the draft and we wont select one. It's history. Marvin doesnt believe that TE's have any impact on an offense

I seem to recall plans for a lot of 2 TE sets. That's why they picked up Utecht, after all. Then he went down, and Kelly went down, and that was the end of that.

We will hype a TE all the way to the draft and we wont select one. It's history. Marvin doesnt believe that TE's have any impact on an offense

I seem to recall plans for a lot of 2 TE sets. That's why they picked up Utecht, after all. Then he went down, and Kelly went down, and that was the end of that.

When Utecht was healthy last year they hardly used him. Gresham is a better recieving threat than Utecht ever could be. And Kelly doesnt scare anyone catching the ball. Gresham would be the saftey net that he has always needed. But, Marvin or Dr. Bratkowski have never used TE's in their offense. They never had much use for them.

And Im not trying to say we dont need a TE, becuase I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE GRESHAM, and I wish you would understand that but you cant.

Marvin Doesn't call the Plays or throw the ball,I think the thought is Fire Brat and then find another Tight End because one would hope the new Coordinator would actually utilize the position like the rest of the NFL does.

Look at the Playoff Teams this year

Colts-Dallas Clark

Saints-Jeremy Shockey

Vikings-Visanthe Shiancoe

Chargers-Gates

Patriots-Ben Watson (Who always have high value on Tight Ends)

Cowboys-Jason Witten & Martellus Bennett (who we wanted)

Eagles-Brent Celek |

Jets-Dustin Keller

Ravens-Todd Heap

Green Bay-Jermichael Finley

SO We were THE ONLY Team in the Playoffs without a Pass Catching threat at Tight End besides the Arizona Cardinals who you know have some pretty awesome Wide Receivers...

Marvin Doesn't call the Plays or throw the ball,I think the thought is Fire Brat and then find another Tight End because one would hope the new Coordinator would actually utilize the position like the rest of the NFL does.

Look at the Playoff Teams this year

Colts-Dallas Clark

Saints-Jeremy Shockey

Vikings-Visanthe Shiancoe

Chargers-Gates

Patriots-Ben Watson (Who always have high value on Tight Ends)

Cowboys-Jason Witten & Martellus Bennett (who we wanted)

Eagles-Brent Celek |

Jets-Dustin Keller

Ravens-Todd Heap

Green Bay-Jermichael Finley

SO We were THE ONLY Team in the Playoffs without a Pass Catching threat at Tight End besides the Arizona Cardinals who you know have some pretty awesome Wide Receivers...

I agree. But Marvin tells Dr.Brat what he wants and it is his job to execute. SO the blame should fall on Marvin there. But we are like Ohio State and have an ancient offensive philosphy. We just haven't adapted yet and when we do adapt it will be to late. I really thought Coffman could've been a good player but the coaching staff wont give him the time of day. Its unfourtnate. I would like to draft Gresham, and would be estatic if we do. I just dont see it happening

And Im not trying to say we dont need a TE, becuase I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE GRESHAM, and I wish you would understand that but you cant.

Yes, I know, clearly I'm an idiot. :rolleyes: So tell me why they went after Utecht as an RFA if they don't think the TE is worth crap?

It doesn't have anything to do with wanting or not wanting GRESHAM. It's that I view the TE position in the draft as less important than others in the early rounds if not addressed in FA. I simply view a safety, guard, DT, or even WR as more important than a TE that we haven't utilized regardless of intentions.

Kelly is probably gone, Utecht is gone, Coats needs to be gone, so you are left with Foschi and Coffman. Screams FA vet TE to me...

Yes, I know, clearly I'm an idiot. :rolleyes: So tell me why they went after Utecht as an RFA if they don't think the TE is worth crap?

You know I don't know to be honest with ya. I dont think they ever really had a place for him on this team. It's unfourtnate because he could've done well.

I really thought Coffman could've been a good player but the coaching staff wont give him the time of day. Its unfourtnate. I would like to draft Gresham, and would be estatic if we do. I just dont see it happening

Ya and I still have hope for Coffman being a good selection,but doesn't hurt to have a plan B if he doesn't and if he does more weapons the better..

Really don't want Greshem myself and look for Bengals to more likely sign one in Free Agenacy being that Tight Ends don't command all that much money.

As far as safeties in the draft go...

- Is anybody else a fan of Chad Jones of LSU? Granted, I haven't watched him too much, but when I have I've been very impressed. Great open field tackler, has made big plays in big games, etc. Thoughts? He's a junior and I'm n ot sure if he's coming out or not, but I like him. Same situation for Major Wright of Florida.

- I've heard really good things about Morgan Burnett of Georgia Tech.

- What about a flyer late in the draft on Myron Rolle?

- If they're willing to spend a first rounder on a safety, Earl Thomas is very good in my opinion.

- Is anybody else a fan of Chad Jones of LSU? Granted, I haven't watched him too much, but when I have I've been very impressed. Great open field tackler, has made big plays in big games, etc. Thoughts? He's a junior and I'm n ot sure if he's coming out or not, but I like him. Same situation for Major Wright of Florida.

- If they're willing to spend a first rounder on a safety, Earl Thomas is very good in my opinion.

Morgan Burnett could help him self into the first round with a strong combine.

I don't know if Major Wright declared but he should be considered if he did.

And Earl Thomas, I have him going to Pittsburgh at #18.

This would be the draft where if Earl Thomas is there at like 15,16,17 we should trade up to get him.

Morgan Burnett could help him self into the first round with a strong combine.

I don't know if Major Wright declared but he should be considered if he did.

And Earl Thomas, I have him going to Pittsburgh at #18.

This would be the draft where if Earl Thomas is there at like 15,16,17 we should trade up to get him.

I think Earl Thomas is a perfect fit here that in that he's versatile enough to play either position... He fits the mold of what they seem to want. If he's gonna go in that range, we're in striking range to trade up for him from the 21 spot.

You can make that same argument about the safety position. Rarely has Marvin even drafted a safety, and every defense he has built has relied on veteran safeties.

We have run two tight end sets this season with Foschi and Coats. I am telling you guys, a good three down tight end could really open up the passing game. When teams drop two safeties, a tight end that can catch down field splits the safeties and opens up things for the wide receivers on the outside. There are two major things the offense lacked this season and that's converting third downs and passing in the end zone. A 6'6" tight end with good hands could solve both of those problems. A tight end works the middle of the endzone when the QB does a three step drop and the corner of the endzone on bootlegs, this would give us so many more options in the redzone. Plus when you face a shutdown corner like Revis, you have another option to turn to with a good tight end.

On a side note, I think we would have been a lot better off by mixing in Leonard more on first and second down in the redzone, as well.

A 6'6" tight end with good hands

You mean like Coffman at 6'6 257 and one of the best receiving TE's in college history ??

I'll give him (at least) next year before I'm ready to spend a first on the TE position.

Yup and he'll have full year in the system,no need to waste a 1st I'd be happy with Chase Coffman,JP Foschi & Anthony Fasano(Free Agent & Don't see him breaking bank+ someone marvin liked coming out of college.)

Alrighty, what did I miss? :lol:

I agree Whur Chad At?, I would love to get Gresham and I think our 21st pick is a perfect slot for him considering if he had come out last year he would've been the first tight end off the board before Brandon Pettigrew and I believe he went to the Lions at #20...but I say give Chase Coffman another year and see what we have, plus Gresham is coming off of knee surgury. I would much rather drop Coles and draft a WR.

Can someone tell me about Earl Thomas and/or Williams the WR outta USC, I hear those names a lot but I don't know anything about them.

I actually believe the Squeelers will take Terrance Cody at the 18th slot and someone (Raiders) will take Taylor Mays simply b/c he is a workout warrior and will put up monster numbers at the combine and pro day.

What's everyone's most realistic top target?

What I mean by that is don't say Suh or Eric Berry b/c there's just no way they slip to us, IMO.

Who is your top guy that if he's there you want the Bengals to jump all over?

Mine would prob. be Dez Bryant or Taylor Mays...with Dez Bryant getting the edge right now.

What I mean by that is don't say Suh or Eric Berry b/c there's just no way they slip to us, IMO.

Mine would prob. be Dez Bryant or Taylor Mays...with Dez Bryant getting the edge right now.

You really see Dez Bryant falling to #21 ?? I also think Mays will be gone, but the odds are better for that to happen with recent reports.

I'll go by position I think may be a pick and who may be there at #21.

WR- Damian Williams, USC

Guard- Mike Iupati, Idaho

Safety- Taylor Mays, USC

You really see Dez Bryant falling to #21 ?? I also think Mays will be gone, but the odds are better for that to happen with recent reports.

I'll go by position I think may be a pick and who may be there at #21.

WR- Damian Williams, USC

Guard- Mike Iupati, Idaho

Safety- Taylor Mays, USC

I actually think Dez Bryant could fall...he got suspended all year. Players slipped for less, but I'm with you I don't think he'll be there. I've just seen a couple mocks that think he will and think Arrelious Benn will be the first receiver taken. It's a small chance but I can dream, can't I?

I would love Mike Iupati but only if the "others" aren't there and I don't know anything about Damian Williams...how big is he? Is he fast? Does he have good hands? USC receivers don't have a good history in the league, so I'm not quite on board with him yet.

Players certainly have fallen for less, so yep, you never know. Benn should have come out last season before deciding to go back and drop more passes than make me comfortable taking him in the first. Dream away dude, because something tells me this is going to be another draft where someone falls to us we never thought would be there.

Williams ?? 6'1, 195lbs. with 4.45 speed. He can still add to his frame and has GREAT hands. He does very well with YAC, has great body control, and is one of those guys that makes nice leaps to get the ball at it's highest point. He does great with getting separation and has made it a point to make it a habit to get two feet down in bounds to prepare for the NFL. There are 3 things about him that I absolutely LOVE hearing.

GREAT CHARACTER

GREAT WORK ETHIC

ELITE ROUTE RUNNER

He isn't recognized as the best blocker by any stretch and might not time that fast, but he's also another weapon in punt returns. While I understand the apprehension with USC WR's in the past, I don't have those concerns with Williams. He just seems like a very solid player who doesn't appear to carry the diva label and will continue to work hard.

Yeah, I like the kid in the first...