Draft Conversation

BengalPimp

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's ridiculous - if we draft gresham, we'd be replacing one so-far-injured, unproven young TE with loads of talent with another, well, so-far-injured, unproven young TE with loads of talent. stupid, really. i'd rather like to see how coffman turns out. we should look at getting a speed-type WR, some depth for the defense (this hinges on what happens to roy williams, dhani jones, and some guys on the DL this offseason), and a good OG. all we need, really.

I think taking WR will be key. I'd like to see them take 2 or 3.

I think they do need to bring in another higher level CB. Trent has played as well as could be hoped but his ceiling is only so high.

They also need to consider DE and DT. We are thin there. When you need to go sign Harris and Smith, you are thin.

in a later round, stephen williams from Toledo should be looked at. he has amazing ability.

the WR from syracuse is also interesting, and fits the SoP "Redeemer" mold.

that's ridiculous - if we draft gresham, we'd be replacing one so-far-injured, unproven young TE with loads of talent with another, well, so-far-injured, unproven young TE with loads of talent. stupid, really. i'd rather like to see how coffman turns out. we should look at getting a speed-type WR, some depth for the defense (this hinges on what happens to roy williams, dhani jones, and some guys on the DL this offseason), and a good OG. all we need, really.

Gresham is a far more complete TE than Coffman. Not that I'm in a rush to dump Crash Dummy, but right now he's just a 4th round pick who couldn't crack the lineup after two guys ahead of him went down in camp. And they just brought a TE from the PS up to boot. None of that bodes well.

I agree with the need for a speed wideout to fill the void left by Chris Henry's death, but I don't think we need to spend a first rounder to get that. Ditto for guard. Hell, if you want a guard we can just resign Koo; he got cut by the Browns today so they could sign DT Titus Adams.

Right now I'm leaning toward safety or DT in the first, but we'll see.

By your rationale we never would have drafted Anthony Munoz. And I'm pretty sure he's only had this one injury that has caused him to miss any games during his college career. Besides, if Coffman comes around, it will not hurt one bit to have two capable tight ends on the roster.

I want them to get Freddie Barnes from BGSU, he is a more talented TJ clone. Set NCAA records for season receptions and had 17 catches for 200+ yards and 3 TD's in his bowl game. He is the best possesion WR in the draft this year.

Again this year, I say that a TE is not important enough to waste a high roiund draft pick on, there are only a few game changers in the nfl and the Bengals O is not geared toward them.

I want them to get Freddie Barnes from BGSU, he is a more talented TJ clone. Set NCAA records for season receptions and had 17 catches for 200+ yards and 3 TD's in his bowl game. He is the best possesion WR in the draft this year.

I haven't watched any of his games. Can you go any more in depth on what you have seen from him?

3? until the judgement is out on simpson, we have 5 servicable guys at the position (chad, coles, caldwell, simpson, cosby). granted, coles and chad aren't the youngest anymore, so a young 'un to groom for the future is certainly something we should look for. but again, jerome simpson was exactly that when we drafted him, and has lots of upside...

I think they do need to bring in another higher level CB. Trent has played as well as could be hoped but his ceiling is only so high.

seconded.

They also need to consider DE and DT. We are thin there. When you need to go sign Harris and Smith, you are thin.

we don't have a D-lineman older than 28 (except smith, but f*ck him)... not a real big "problem position" right now, as long as everyone stays healthy. of course, some depth is always good.

in a later round, stephen williams from Toledo should be looked at. he has amazing ability.

both looks promising, yes.

on a side note, what about the FB position? is jeremi johnson the future here?

But one would bound to workout and if both did then ;) we would have Killer 2 TE sets...Now only if we could find a Coordinator who would know how to use them....Wasn't New England big on multiple TE sets under Weis?

Defensive Tackle for me all Depends on if we bring tank back,if we do bring him back with fanene I'd may say try another Project...Defensive End I'd really like to see us bring in a Pure Passrusher Michael Johnson has the makings to be stud but we need someone who can rush from the other side that he's on on passing downs...Could Carry 5 DE's with MJ being DE/lb & Fanene being DE/DT

Cornerback well I wouldn't mind another player for depth I just wouldn't want to see it sooner then the 3rd round,Treant has played well and you mention his ceiling but the guy is Pretty Athletiac and I think another year working with Croyle will do him good.

DT certainly wouldn't be a bad way to go, but I can't say as I would be overwhelmed at the players there and we might be better off waiting until the 2nd round to grab another DT. A direction I wouldn't mind seeing them go in at the bottom of the first is OG. Specifically, Mike Iupati out of Idaho. I've watched a couple of his games and he's just a beast at 6'5 330. I think OG is easily the biggest need on the o-line.

If you want to make the argument for a WR early then you have to be talking about a real speed guy that can spread the field. My thought behind that is, if you aren't taking WR in the first, the kind of guy we are looking for is VERY limited or involve character risks.

Safety ?? Anyone else seeing reports about Taylor Mays stock dropping due to his lack of ball skills and being a liability in pass coverage ?? I saw one report that said he was the EXACT same player Roy Williams is only younger. Yeah, I'd sh*t if he fell. What about Myron Rolle later on ??

I suppose running back is always an option depending on what happens with the corps we now have. I can't say as I would be in real favor of in the early rounds though. I also think with Scott filling the change of pace role, it would have to be the "bell-cow" type of runner. Once again, not early on.

No suprise there. I think you've leaned towards DT almost every year in the nearly two decades I've known you.

And this year I may join you.

Hey, company's always welcome in Camp DT. I'll even spring for the first round. :cheers:

No suprise there. I think you've leaned towards DT almost every year in the nearly two decades I've known you.

Hey, company's always welcome in Camp DT. I'll even spring for the first round. :cheers:

I think Tank will be back. With so many teams switching to the 3-4, DT's like Tank just aren't in high demand anymore, and he's already proven that he is completely misused as an end in the 3-4. He fits in nicely, he seems to like it here, and he plays like hell out on the field.

I wouldn't be shocked if we took Cody in the first, though. Like I've mentioned several times before, one of the key aspects of that Raven D that Marvin built was two big old nose tackles in Sam Adams and Goose playing on the field at the same time. Mount Cody sure would look nice next to Peko. It would be a younger version of the Williams wall. Pair those two with big ends in Geathers, Odom, and Fanane, and the linebackers wouldn't even have to worry about taking on O-linemen.

Again, I may join you. Then again I may not.

All I'll say right now is I agree there's a need and I'm interested if the right type of fatty falls to us.

I think Tank will be back. With so many teams switching to the 3-4, DT's like Tank just aren't in high demand anymore, and he's already proven that he is completely misused as an end in the 3-4. He fits in nicely, he seems to like it here, and he plays like hell out on the field.

I wouldn't be shocked if we took Cody in the first, though. Like I've mentioned several times before, one of the key aspects of that Raven D that Marvin built was two big old nose tackles in Sam Adams and Goose playing on the field at the same time. Mount Cody sure would look nice next to Peko. It would be a younger version of the Williams wall. Pair those two with big ends in Geathers, Odom, and Fanane, and the linebackers wouldn't even have to worry about taking on O-linemen.

Ya a Cody,Tank,Peko & Sims Rotation at DT would be a pretty sexy rotation...WOuld always have high quality DT fresh and just encase of injury wouldn't be worried...Defensive End I'm leaning against now in the 1st I'd just like to see them Target another steal like MJ or Little Fast guy like Elvis Dumbervill whos sole Purpose is to rush the passer in the 4-3...though maybe they allow Geathers to drop weight and go back to his pass rusher roll with Fanene having a good season.

Agree Hoosier, I've seen the same thing about Cody and it's why he isn't getting much love towards the upper end of the first.

He strikes me as this years version of Andre Smith in that regard. DT certainly is a need though...

I'm sure all the talk about trading up or moving down will start shortly after the playoffs end.

1st Round....Play Making Safety,Play Making Widereceiver or more Depth for Dline

Other Positions would like to see

Big Mauling Right GUard

a Defensive End who can rush the passer and isn't a small DT

A KICKER DRAFT A FREAKING KICKER

A Blocking Tight End who doesn't have Cenderblocks for hands (GOOD BYE COATS)

1st Round....Play Making Safety,Play Making Widereceiver or more Depth for Dline

Other Positions would like to see

Big Mauling Right GUard

a Defensive End who can rush the passer and isn't a small DT

A KICKER DRAFT A FREAKING KICKER

A Blocking Tight End who doesn't have Cenderblocks for hands (GOOD BYE COATS)

If we're going one of those three directions in the first round (which I think we should), there might be some options.

- at receiver, late in round one, I think Gilyard, Shipley, Arrelious Benn and Golden Tate could all be options. Personally, as kingwilly has repeatedly state, I'd prefer to go out and get a guy like Boldin or Marshall, but the need must be filled in one way or another.

- At safety, I'm not sure if there's a guy worth taking in the first, because Berry and Mays will not be there, unless Earl Thomas falls to us, who I'm a big fan of and would be happy with there. We could pick up a guy like Larry Asante or Nate Allen in the second.

- Jermaine Gresham seems to be the mock draft favorite in the first, and I wouldn't be too disappointed with that.

If we're going one of those three directions in the first round (which I think we should), there might be some options.

- at receiver, late in round one, I think Gilyard, Shipley, Arrelious Benn and Golden Tate could all be options. Personally, as kingwilly has repeatedly state, I'd prefer to go out and get a guy like Boldin or Marshall, but the need must be filled in one way or another.

Ya I'd prefer FA Wide Receiver too just doubt it would happen...But would be nice because thats one less position we have to look at in the 1st...

Like a Dream Free Agency would be Signing Brandon Marshall ,Owen Daniels(or Ben Watson) & Mike Zimmer(cough cough)