Draft Conversation

BengalPimp

Just for sh*ts & giggles, I took a quick tour of mocks around the web this evening, looking for ones that had been updated since at least late last month. I found 21 (ah, the magic of teh google!). As might be expected, there's little consensus in the mockosphere. Leading the pack: Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham (4 votes). Tied for second with 3 votes apiece are Clemson RB CJ Spiller and North Carolina DT Marvin Austin. Then there are 11 guys with one nod each:

DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse

OT Jason Fox, Miami

FS Earl Thomas, Texas

WR Brandon LaFell, LSU

OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma

FS Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech

DE Jerry Hughes, TCU

DT Terrence Coy, Alabama

LB Brandon Spikes, Florida

RB Jahvid Best, Cal

CB Parrish Cox, Oklahoma State

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox is the only lineman worthy of 1st rnd consideration from Miami. I think he goes rnd 2 anyway. Good OT (we'd be in such f**king trouble without him) but not dominant.

Gresham, if he falls to us, would certainly be in the BPA talk. Same for Spiller, but I just don't think we go RB.

• 2 weeks later...

So...Dezmon Briscoe, anyone... :)

Yes please...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz6V06jEbnk

Ok here's a few names I would LOVE to see the Bengals draft this April...

Stanley Havili, FB, USC - This kid is a BEAST! I know JJ is doing good (blocking wise) but he can't catch and run as good as Havili! Maybe we can pick him up in rounds 3-5??? I'm not sure about his blocking skills (I KNOW THATS MORE IMPORTANT THEN RUNNING & CATCHING!) but this gives me a lil hint...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCB5Q4lTGLQ

Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR, UC - I'd crap my pants if the Bengals drafted this kid! We could use him as a KR and/or 3rd or 4th string WR (depending on what we do with slim). We would have to draft him in the first round. No way he's there in the late second.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwkfF54rAEk

Rennie Curran, OLB, Georgia - Ok I understand we have not had that good of a history with Georgia LBs (Pollack and Thurman) but I have a good feeling about this guy. He's not that big for a LB but don't let that fool you. Very underrated player. He should be available in the late 2nd early 3rd.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYiGpL63Iyc

Rennie Curran, OLB, Georgia - Ok I understand we have not had that good of a history with Georgia LBs (Pollack and Thurman) but I have a good feeling about this guy. He's not that big for a LB but don't let that fool you. Very underrated player. He should be available in the late 2nd early 3rd.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYiGpL63Iyc

Increased Need of

-WR I've defended coles but the guy simply isn't getting it done,I could see a WR in top 3 rounds if Simpson is still a enigma at that point

-Offensive Line Tackle or Guard?I like Whit and Love what he has done for the running game on left side...but at same time 4 games in a row Carson doesn't get time to throw he can't step in to the pocket...It's not only whit but he hasn't helped... So either a Guard Early to replace Bobbie or Move Whit to RG & draft a LT...?

-Safety Crocker,Roy & Ndukwe are all good players who get the job done in Zimmers Defense..But we don't have a Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu Threat at the position..I like our safetys all 5 of them but at same time I want one who is truly a special player.

-Tight End JP Foschi I don't think is that bad and Truly happy Coats was benched for him..With that being said we still could use another Tight End but I would prefer us to target one in FA like Ben Watson

-Defensive End I wouldn't say early but find a Speedster like Elvis Dumbervill whos only job is to attack the passer...We have MJ but we need someone else besides undersized DT's rushing the end (Geathers,Peko,Rucker & Odom all 280+)

-Kicker Shayne Graham You nailed some long ones mr man,But you have a Wet noodle on kickoffs

Decreasing IMO

DT

I would Kill to have Suh,I would love to have Cody fall in out laps but unless it's a no Brainer pick I think were good at Defensive Tackle Minus injury...Peko,Sims & Tank all serviceable and do a good job overall with Fanene being solid on passing downs...They can target a 4th DT for rotation mid rounds unless a Special talent falls in their laps earlier...

LineBacker-

Resign Brandon & Jeanty and just draft a Project later...Hell I would rather move MJ to Linebacker then see us take one early (he's dropped in to coverage quite abit as a linemen and still could play DE on passing downs)

RB-Cedben is the Man Scott is a threat & Leonard is acrobatic rd down back...Not RB at all IMO

CB-I'd say take one in the middle of the Draft for Depth but Jonathan Joseph and Hall need be our starting corners for the next 7-10 years...The longer we wait to Extend em the more expensive they become.

• 2 weeks later...

Some lesser known players that I like are:

Eric Decker WR Minnesota- Big guy at 6'2" 215 lbs. Runs perfect routes, has great hands, and blocks like hell.

Jay Ross NT East Carolina- 6'3" 315 lbs.. Built like Peko and had a long fumble return for a TD just like him. He is also nasty in trenches.

Nate Allen FS South Florida- Not great at anything, but good at everything. He won't make any pro bowls, but he can tackle, cover, and blitz. He could be a very solid FS for a long time.

Colin Peek TE Alabama- 6'6" 255 lbs.. He's a blocking TE that has great hands. How many Bengals fans would have killed for that at the beginning of the season?

Also, nobody is talking about kickers yet.

That's because there really aren't any great kickers. I guess someone will take the K from Alabama (Leigh Tiffin), but if he's drafted, it will be the last 2 rounds.

The kicker I do like, is only a Junior with a big leg, and that UCLA's Kai Forbath his 2009 stats?

FG's 26-29

8-8 from 20-29 yds

11-11 from 30-39 yds

4-4 from 40-49 yds

3-6 from 50+ yds

a perfect 23-23 from 49yds or less...but once again, he's only a Junior.

Some lesser known players that I like are:

Eric Decker WR Minnesota- Big guy at 6'2" 215 lbs. Runs perfect routes, has great hands, and blocks like hell.

Jay Ross NT East Carolina- 6'3" 315 lbs.. Built like Peko and had a long fumble return for a TD just like him. He is also nasty in trenches.

Nate Allen FS South Florida- Not great at anything, but good at everything. He won't make any pro bowls, but he can tackle, cover, and blitz. He could be a very solid FS for a long time.

Colin Peek TE Alabama- 6'6" 255 lbs.. He's a blocking TE that has great hands. How many Bengals fans would have killed for that at the beginning of the season?

I think Deker goes top 2 rnds myself (as each round last about 150 picks these days).

Disagree about Nate Allen. I know what you're saying and he's a good all-rounder in college. Spectacular in no aspects. Don't see him becoming a really solid FS at the NFL level. However, he has all the measurables - size and speed and should go mid-rounds, maybe higher if he canes the combine, due to those physical attributes. Having said all that, maybe it's just because it's a very deep safety class this yr but even though he doesn't impress me much I actually wouldn't mind the Bengals taking him. I think there at least half a dozen better prospects this yr though. Some beasts at SS too, probably pick an absolute animal in the 6th. Bit of a rant but I looked at Allen when he played Miami specifically because I liked what I saw. Sure we have a pro style offense and so any weaknesses will have stood out but damn, we're not an unstoppable force on offense. He was ridden like a seaside donkey all night.

Edit, I guess I don't actually disagree having read that back. Disregard. I sux coxs etc.

Peek is a nice choice. Wouldn't have to burn a 1st rnd pick on him either.

Yes, he won the kicker award thingy this yr I think.

Yeah, The Lou Groza Award, living in Socal, i've seen him play quite a few times, and he looks like he's never phased.

Well, if he gives us a similar lift in the kicking game as Huber did replacing Larson (although Shayne isn't stinking the joint up like old Kyle so maybe not) or at least a continuation from Shayne then another 5th rnd pick would be more than justified. Hell, I might even go 4th if it looks like he's going to be nabbed. The selfish bastard will probably stay in college now. :angry:

I'm not too familiar with what happened in the contract talks with Graham, but I just have a feeling somebody will give him exactly what he wants and it won't be us.

My ideal draft (assuming Odom is still an NFL caliber DE next year) would look something like this:

RND 1. Jermaine Gresham- Big end zone threat that can do it all. I think Gresham would be the quickest way to jump start the passing offense next season. He'll keep other teams from dropping both safeties deep, he'll convert third and longs, and he'll be a very valuable asset in the red zone.

RND 2. Myron Lewis- Looks like our kind of safety. He's a ball hawk that can blitz and tackle

RND 3. Jay Ross- The kind of DT we like, and I could see him become exactly what Peko is.

RND 4. Mike Williams- A troubled but very talented wide receiver. Top 15 talent that will fall because of character issues (poor academics and he quit at Syracuse), but I could see him being Brandon Marshall.

RND 5. Pat Angerer- All-American linebacker from Iowa. He is undersized, but I see him getting a lot better after he puts on about 15 lbs..

RND 6. Jacques McClendon- A replica of almost every lineman we have on the roster. A big, SEC O-lineman that will be put on the practice squad and developed for a couple of seasons.

RND 7. Kerry Meier- 6'3" 220 lbs. wr. He converted from QB to WR, but has put up some very respectable numbers the last couple of seasons. Put on the practice squad for depth.

Blain I liked that draft besides it seemed to ignore guard..Bobbie williams is older an d Free agent need get his replacement on the roster next season even if we resign him

I'm assuming we'll have Livings and Mathis both under contract next season. I think if Mathis is back, he is a lock to start at left guard next season, and my gut is telling me that Livings is going to be our starting right guard. The only problem I've noticed Livings having is that the left guard pulls to the right of the right tackle on some pass protections and he always seems late getting there and gets beat, but the right guard never has to do this, so I think he could perform very well at RG.

I think its a toss up if Bobbie resigns with us or not. I believe the club will want him back, but somebody desperate for a right guard might overpay for him. If Mathis, Livings, and Bobbie are all back next season, I don't see any room on the roster for a guard because I think Shirley makes the active roster next season. Alexander didn't want Shirley on the practice squad this year of a fear of losing him, and I think we will see a more polished Shirley next year by the end of training camp. Like I said before, I think Shirley is going to be a replica of Brian Waters, so we let Livings play a season at right guard and continue grooming Shirley to take the spot over by the 2011 season.

Bottom line, if we have Livings, Mathis, and Bobbie back next season, I predict we will not draft a guard. If Bobbie isn't back, we may look to the mid to later rounds to draft a guard. If Bobbie and Mathis aren't back next season (Livings is a restricted free agent) we could very well draft Mike Iupati in the first round or Mike Johnson in the second round. If we draft an O-lineman in the first three rounds, my bet is on Ciron Black.