Draft Conversation

BengalPimp

Do I like what Spikes did ?? No

Do I think the punishment fit the crime ?? No

However, I think it rather holier than thou to sit here and judge fans by saying how bad they are for not caring about what happens to whathisnames eyes. Honestly, without going back to read, I don't even know who he is. I think that's the way it is for the most part and people here getting worked up about it is questionable at best. Why ?? Because they are the same people that advocate Rivers blasting away at Hines Ward without thought, the same ones who had pretty harsh words for Kimo blowing up Carson, and the same ones that have admitted to having parties when they hear about Mike Brown's death.

They can blow that stuff off by making jokes, but for the most part they are dead serious. So my question becomes, what makes this any different ?? Can anyone here honestly say they really do care about dude's eyes ?? Can anyone say they even put thought to it when not reading about it on this board ?? I doubt it.

Once again, it doesn't make what happened right and I'm certainly not justifying Spikes in any way, shape, or form, but don't be thinking fans are some sort of ultra caring group of people when it comes to their opponents across the field from their beloved team. Yeah, you can KEEP me in the camp that thinks Spikes would be a nice addition to our LB corps.

Sorry if that offends. On second thought, no I'm not...

:cheers:

My sentiments exactly, you are just better at expressing it than me clearly.

You guys are coming on here saying this and that about Spikes and saying he's dirty and that its not a heat of the moment thing and it was premeditated. <_< . Yet you same people didn't even watch the game to see earlier in the game a personal foul penalty thrown on Georgia and Spikes with his helmet off holding his eye. I'm not saying I'm happy he did it but don't act like it wasn't provoked and Spikes is this kitten killing psychopath. The only reason this is a discussion at all is because he got caught on camera. I don't hear you guys asking for the Georgia player(s) asking to be suspended for doing the same thing earlier in the game.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I didn't like it, I don't care what happens to Ealey's eyes.

Not being funny Supa, but if you don't care then why didn't you like it? There's a disconnect there.

I don't think there is. I don't like the act and don't think there's a place in football for it but I could give a gawd damn about that dude's eye(s).

It seems to me that football authorities, at all levels, are f**king backwards when it comes to this sort of thing. If Spikes was gouged then I can understand his ire. Especially as there is zero redress from the authorities. Players will start to seek retribution personally. What a great state for the game to be in.

Player: He gouged me.

NCAA/NFL: f**k off kid, who cares - keep making us money. And for the love of God do NOT celebrate a TD in any way. We need to keep the image of the game up.

Not being funny Supa, but if you don't care then why didn't you like it? There's a disconnect there.

I don't think there is. I don't like the act and don't think there's a place in football for it but I could give a gawd damn about that dude's eye(s).

OK, harsh and I don't understand that attitude but OK, fair enough. What team a player is on etc, I just think it misses the issue as a whole but whatever.

Hit them hard, legally all you want. Take them out of the game, with a big legal hit, I will root for anytime. Try to take away someones eyesight for the rest of thier life and that player should be done playing for the team anytime it happens!

Pffft, you're just waiting to bust out the champagne upon hearing of Mikey's death, and so am I. Apparently.

Hit them hard, legally all you want. Take them out of the game, with a big legal hit, I will root for anytime. Try to take away someones eyesight for the rest of thier life and that player should be done playing for the team anytime it happens!

I don't hear you saying that about the Georgia player(s)

It seems to me that football authorities, at all levels, are f**king backwards when it comes to this sort of thing. If Spikes was gouged then I can understand his ire. Especially as there is zero redress from the authorities. Players will start to seek retribution personally. What a great state for the game to be in.

Player: He gouged me.

NCAA/NFL: f**k off kid, who cares - keep making us money. And for the love of God do NOT celebrate a TD in any way. We need to keep the image of the game up.

I agree its redikulus. Plus Dez Bryant gets a year suspension for LYING!!! College football has sooooo many problems with the BCS and there rules and regulations! But, it is what it is.

OK, harsh and I don't understand that attitude but OK, fair enough. What team a player is on etc, I just think it misses the issue as a whole but whatever.

It is harsh but there is nothing I can do about it. I just don't care. I can't make myself care about someone I don't give a damn about.

Do you think Steelers fans care about what Kimo did to Carson's knee? Or do you think they only care that they won the game and went on to win the Super Bowl? Winning is all that matters. Who cares about the opposition and their players?

The NFL too, they did nothing about the turd who tried to poke Whit's eyes last yr, outside of giving them both exactly the same fines. This attitude will really come back to bite them in the ass in the future. Instead of worrying about Twitter etc, how about you actually do you frigging job Goodell.

To get this back onto draft talk -

walterfootball has us picking at #24, which I could live with - still hoping for better than a WC spot though.

Would we be happy with Jahvid Best, Mike Iupati (the G someone mentioned earlier) and Myron Lewis, DB from vandy with our first three picks?

I don't know anything about the G but Lewis is a massive bastard. The next best thing to Mays in terms of size and speed at the safety position. Jahvid Best - eh good RB. I really like Spiller though. Not sure I'm on board with a RB, whatever their name, in the first. In fact, I'm against it quite strongly at this point.

To get this back onto draft talk -

walterfootball has us picking at #24, which I could live with - still hoping for better than a WC spot though.

Would we be happy with Jahvid Best, Mike Iupati (the G someone mentioned earlier) and Myron Lewis, DB from vandy with our first three picks?

I don't know anything about the G but Lewis is a massive bastard. The next best thing to Mays in terms of size and speed at the safety position. Jahvid Best - eh good RB. I really like Spiller though. Not sure I'm on board with a RB, whatever their name, in the first. In fact, I'm against it quite strongly at this point.

I agree. Back to draft talk.

I actually would be a very happy fan if this was our first 3 picks. Best is the Best :wacko: running back in the class. Spiller is a very fast running back but I don't think he can carry the load and if I'm taking a running back in the 1st, he better be able to do it all. This is where we went wrong with drafting Chris Perry instead of Steven Jackson. They liked Perry's change of pace matched with Rudi. They thought Jackson and Rudi were similar backs. I think you should draft the best player regardless of what you already have.

I must admit I don't know much about the guard at all but I would be very happy with a big powerful guard in round 2.

The Gators play Vandy this weekend so I'll keep an eye out for Lewis. I don't know anything about him either but we def. need to upgrade at the safety position so I wouldn't be mad at this selection unless there's a better player available at OLB.

I mentioned Spiller in the sense that I think he goes later and so if we were to take him, which I still don't think we should as in taking a RB in the early rounds, it would mean we would have addressed another position in the first round.

Best is no doubt the better RB and I don't think he falls to us at #24 anyway but overall, I couldn't be unhappy with that early draft order but think we might have one or two more pressing needs and the ability to draft without reaching to fill those needs.

I mentioned Spiller in the sense that I think he goes later and so if we were to take him, which I still don't think we should as in taking a RB in the early rounds, it would mean we would have addressed another position in the first round.

Best is no doubt the better RB and I don't think he falls to us at #24 anyway but overall, I couldn't be unhappy with that early draft order but think we might have one or two more pressing needs and the ability to draft without reaching to fill those needs.

It all depends on who's there...do we take need or best player available? I think if you're drafting in the 20's you should go with BPA rather than by need, IMO. I think Gresham will be available and I would love to take him b/c it fits both a huge need and BPA unless Mays or Berry slip. Running back is not a huge need next year but what if Ced leaves after next year? Then it becomes the biggest need! So why not take upgrade it this year before it becomes a problem? Can we spend another high round pick on another LB when its been picked in the 1st and 2nd in the last 2 years? What about Sean Weatherspoon outta Mizzou? If Mike Iupati is far and away the best guard and worth the pick and we don't have a shot at him in the 2nd then I'd be more than happy to take him in the 1st.

OK - hypothetical, discounting the other variables like Benson extending or Coffman getting up to speed with his blocking. Best or Gresham?

I would be delighted with Weatherspoon from Mizzou btw. He'd be there when we pick most likely too. But yes, the cap situation is probably a consideration to the front office. Not now but in 4 or 5 yr's time they could be looking at a nightmare scenario of trying to re-sign all 3 LBs. Then again, winning matters so you can't pass on talent because of a possible problem in the future with contracts.

Sorry about dipping out, but I get locked out of sports sites at work for a handful of hours during the middle of the day, so I'm catching up...

Any RB would bother me in the first few rounds with other more glaring needs, but then again, you never know how the other players are going to fall and better to take a much higher rated RB as opposed to a lower rated position of need for the simple sake of need. If we are taking a RB, I would think it needs to be a between the tackles kind of guy in the mold of Benson as opposed to another change of pace back like we already have in Scott and James Johnson sitting on the practice squad for that matter. Leonard is that kind of guy, but you need more than one in this division and if they don't extend Benson, a between the tackles RB has to be the call. I can't say as I'm up to speed with which RB fits that role the best at this point in time, so I will defer until later.

Since I missed a part of this conversation before getting back on track I will simply say that condoning what a player does and being able to look at it outside of what is presented on ESPN are two different things that need to be taken into consideration before namecalling can ensue. I don't like how Spikes responded, but there is more to it. He's still wrong. Nothing more...

I just wanted state I have nothing against Supabran(should be obvious I'm one of the jollyist people ever!) and do understand where he's coming from you wanna defend your team...I know if Roy Williams Horse collared Hines for a career ending injury :P or Peko doing a Kimo on Big Ben I wouldn't want them to get suspended or kicked off the team for doing so..

PS,Now to the subject at hand how would you guys feel about taking Mike Iupati early?

I just wanted state I have nothing against Supabran(should be obvious I'm one of the jollyist people ever!) and do understand where he's coming from you wanna defend your team...I know if Roy Williams Horse collared Hines for a career ending injury :P or Peko doing a Kimo on Big Ben I wouldn't want them to get suspended or kicked off the team for doing so..

PS,Now to the subject at hand how would you guys feel about taking Mike Iupati early?

I second that! I got no beef with u either, just playin devil's advocate! :sure:

I would love to draft Mike if he's as good as you say. Line him up next to Andre and run all day to that side! :bengal:

OK - hypothetical, discounting the other variables like Benson extending or Coffman getting up to speed with his blocking. Best or Gresham?

I would be delighted with Weatherspoon from Mizzou btw. He'd be there when we pick most likely too. But yes, the cap situation is probably a consideration to the front office. Not now but in 4 or 5 yr's time they could be looking at a nightmare scenario of trying to re-sign all 3 LBs. Then again, winning matters so you can't pass on talent because of a possible problem in the future with contracts.

Well...hypothetically I would want Gresham. He fills an immediate need and I don't think Best would be an upgrade over Ceddy right now. But I will say I'm a little scared to draft Gresham since he sat out the whole year with an injury. We've had enough problems with knee injuries that I don't know about drafting someone that already has had knee surgury.

That's twu about having to sign all these guys years later. I didn't even think about that.

While I don't want to draft a receiver that goes all Jerome Simpson on us, I do have concerns about our situation. Chad still has 3 or 4 more years like he's having now IMO. Coles is solid but not game changing spectacular and they are both 32 and we don't have much behind them that gives me great confidence.

Ealey: Spikes shouldn't be suspended

Associated Press

ATHENS, Ga. -- A most unlikely person came to the defense of Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes, who was suspended for half a game for apparently trying to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey.

Ealey said Tuesday he doesn't believe Spikes should have been suspended.

In fact, Ealey seemed surprised the play from Saturday's game drew so much attention.

Florida coach Urban Meyer on Monday suspended Spikes for the first half of this week's game against Vanderbilt after the defensive captain stuck his hand in Ealey's helmet and appeared to try to stick his fingers in Ealey's eyes.

Ealey says he doesn't agree with those who have said the suspension was not stiff enough.

"That really didn't matter to me," Ealey said of the suspension. "That's their decision. He shouldn't, I think, get suspended at all. We were just out there playing football."

Ealey said he had his eyes closed when Spikes stuck his hand in his helmet and he wasn't hurt.

"He really didn't gouge my eyes," Ealey said. "He really didn't get a chance to get close to my eyes."

The freshman said he believes similar incidents happen all the time.

"I'm pretty sure it goes on back and forth," he said. "We probably do it and other teams do too. It's all football. We're just out there trying to have fun."

Top-ranked Florida beat Georgia 41-17. The Bulldogs play Tennessee Tech on Saturday.

On Monday, Spikes issued an apology.

"I accept responsibility for my actions and I accept the consequences of my actions," Spikes said. "I would like to apologize to my team and the coaching staff and Washaun Ealey. Football is a very physical and emotional game, but there is no excuse for my actions."

The Southeastern Conference issued a statement on Monday saying it reviewed and accepted the discipline handed down by Florida.

Meyer said he believed Spikes retaliated after getting his helmet ripped off and eye poked earlier in the game.

Georgia coach Mark Richt said Spikes' "helmet went flying off ... and there was one time he got hit with his helmet off."

"It was totally unintentional," Richt said. "They were totally just playing ball. That might have got him bent out of shape. I don't know about all of that."

Ealey carried 17 times for 70 yards against the Gators.

"It was just a lot of emotion in the game," he said. "We were out there fighting. It was a big rivalry game. Everybody was just out there talking trash back and forth. ... We were just out there playing football and having fun."

I don't mean to bring it back up but this says a lot, IMO.

Ealey: Spikes shouldn't be suspended

Associated Press

ATHENS, Ga. -- A most unlikely person came to the defense of Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes, who was suspended for half a game for apparently trying to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey.

Ealey said Tuesday he doesn't believe Spikes should have been suspended.

In fact, Ealey seemed surprised the play from Saturday's game drew so much attention.

Florida coach Urban Meyer on Monday suspended Spikes for the first half of this week's game against Vanderbilt after the defensive captain stuck his hand in Ealey's helmet and appeared to try to stick his fingers in Ealey's eyes.

Ealey says he doesn't agree with those who have said the suspension was not stiff enough.

"That really didn't matter to me," Ealey said of the suspension. "That's their decision. He shouldn't, I think, get suspended at all. We were just out there playing football."

Ealey said he had his eyes closed when Spikes stuck his hand in his helmet and he wasn't hurt.

"He really didn't gouge my eyes," Ealey said. "He really didn't get a chance to get close to my eyes."

The freshman said he believes similar incidents happen all the time.

"I'm pretty sure it goes on back and forth," he said. "We probably do it and other teams do too. It's all football. We're just out there trying to have fun."

Top-ranked Florida beat Georgia 41-17. The Bulldogs play Tennessee Tech on Saturday.

On Monday, Spikes issued an apology.

"I accept responsibility for my actions and I accept the consequences of my actions," Spikes said. "I would like to apologize to my team and the coaching staff and Washaun Ealey. Football is a very physical and emotional game, but there is no excuse for my actions."

The Southeastern Conference issued a statement on Monday saying it reviewed and accepted the discipline handed down by Florida.

Meyer said he believed Spikes retaliated after getting his helmet ripped off and eye poked earlier in the game.

Georgia coach Mark Richt said Spikes' "helmet went flying off ... and there was one time he got hit with his helmet off."

"It was totally unintentional," Richt said. "They were totally just playing ball. That might have got him bent out of shape. I don't know about all of that."

Ealey carried 17 times for 70 yards against the Gators.

"It was just a lot of emotion in the game," he said. "We were out there fighting. It was a big rivalry game. Everybody was just out there talking trash back and forth. ... We were just out there playing football and having fun."

I don't mean to bring it back up but this says a lot, IMO.

Let me say, that this type of thing happens, and honestly you guys never see it most of the time. When I played in the mid 90's (GO DUCKS!)it seemed like it actually happened more. It just wasnt so blatant. Most of the time it would be after you were tackled, and heaven forbid you are at the bottom of the pile. I've had guys stick their fingers inside my facemask, pull and yank on it, I've been spit on, and puched and kicked. Its all part of the game, and honestly what do you think those players are doing when it takes 2 or 3 Refs to pull people off a pile? And that was the Pac-10...a Division people dont consider as Tough, or Smashmouth.

Sneakiest, dirty player I remember was Lawyer Milloy, he wouldnt necessarily be the first guy there, but he used to make sure he got a shot in anyway he could, AND YES, it was HIM who spat on me.