Pro Day Results

Probably a long overdue topic here, but I was blown away by one of the guys I had tagged as a possible pick for the Bengals in Aaron Maybin. I know it's slightly old news, but these numbers are startling from a 20-year old prospect:

Weighed: 252lbs.

Lowered his 40: 4.8 (Combine) to 4.59/4.63

Increased his vertical: 38" to 40"

Anybody who STILL doesn't consider him a Top 8 pick is drunk. I heard Casserly talking about Eric Wood's Pro Day, so I'll see what's available on him.

I'd like to hear about any notable Pro Day performances that you guys found notable. This is my favorite time of the year and draft talk is always good.

Quickly scanning, I was not able to find anything out on Wood's Pro Day, but the local radio reported that the Steelers and Patriots were in attendance, I think the Steelers will draft the best C available in the 1st, which might require us to trade up to get one of the two remaining of the big 3. Let me tell you, Eric Wood is the real deal and the fact he's a lifelong Bengals fan is only a plus. He might just end of being the best Bengals center since Kozerski, and he's head and shoulders above the rest, IMO. Just watch him play a full game, and you'll be impressed. He justified that thinking at the Senior Bowl, where most of the North team's long runs were complimented by his blocks. Unlike Mack and Unger, he played against one of the better defensive conferences in the country and performed well as a 3-year starter.

I might be a little biased, but I'd take him in a heartbeat in the 2nd if he's there, but don't be surprised to see Pittsburgh or New England draft him in the 1st. He's going to be a star center in the NFL. As far as Louisvile players go, he's the best in a long while, better than Brohm, Urrutia and Douglas, who were more recognized than Wood in his career. Just ask Eric Shelton, Michael Bush and Kolby Smith how well he blocks.

Probably a long overdue topic here, but I was blown away by one of the guys I had tagged as a possible pick for the Bengals in Aaron Maybin. I know it's slightly old news, but these numbers are startling....

I think the numbers that startled most observers have to do with Maybin's rather remarkable gain in weight/muscle over such a short amount of time. In fact, to my knowledge he's the only prospect from this draft class who has prompted tounges to wag about probable steroid use.

Just saying...

Probably a long overdue topic here, but I was blown away by one of the guys I had tagged as a possible pick for the Bengals in Aaron Maybin. I know it's slightly old news, but these numbers are startling....

I think the numbers that startled most observers have to do with Maybin's rather remarkable gain in weight/muscle over such a short amount of time. In fact, to my knowledge he's the only prospect from this draft class who has prompted tounges to wag about probable steroid use.

Just saying...

Yeah, I've considered that, too. I've called him a Shawne Merriman clone, so maybe the shoe fits. That said, he's going to be the youngest player in the NFL next season and I see him being one of the best pash rushers in the league in 3 years. Paterno called him a high-character guy, so I'll take it.

Yeah, I've considered that, too. I've called him a Shawne Merriman clone, so maybe the shoe fits.

A long time ago and on a message board far away I posted an article that documented the NFL's warning signs a player might be using steroids. Long story short, over a period of one full year it was considered impossible for most NFL players to gain more than 12 pounds of lean muscle mass without the use of steroids. Smaller players like CB's, WR's, and QB's typically gained no more than 8 pounds of lean muscle mass over a full twelve month period, and even the most massive NFL players could gain only as much as 14 pounds of muscle using strictly natural methods.

The study admitted greater weight gains were common in cases where adding bulk was desired, but those types of gains include added muscle, fat, and water retention. As for college prospects the study warned teams that in the few short months between the end of the college season and the NFL combine any gain in pure muscle mass of more than a handful of pounds, four to five at most, should be considered a strong warning sign of potential steroid use. Furthermore, the study suggested the types of intensive conditioning common with college prospects awaiting the draft may indeed lead to a small increase in muscle mass, but usually resulted in a net weight loss.

Last point. I no longer have the source material, but I do remember the article in question was posted by a Cleveland newspaper in response to Tim Couch's claim he had gained 18 pounds of muscle in roughly 4 months. That led to whispers Couch might be doing steroids, prompting the article. However, the doctors questioned in the article agreed that while it was impossible for Couch to gain even one third of the muscle gain he claimed...it was far more likely he was just being a blowhard who didn't understand what he was saying.

So what do you all think about Orakpo? He gained over 50 pounds of muscle in 3 seasons and as a fellow workout enthusiast, I can tell you that a 500 pound bench press is ungodly...especially from a 263 pound person. Pound for pound, it would make him nearly as strong as Larry Allen, who benched 700 while he was around 340.

I don't know... I'm not sure I even agree with those numbers in the article about how much lean muscle you can put on naturally. Minus being in the gym for the majority of your day, eating the cleanest diet imaginable, and taking the best supplements allowed, I find it hard to believe most of these guys are putting on THAT much lean muscle without the help of steriods or something else that is banned by the NFL.

Those pics of Maybin are just crazy though. All that in a couple months ?? I'm not buying it AT ALL...

So what do you all think about Orakpo? He gained over 50 pounds of muscle in 3 seasons and as a fellow workout enthusiast, I can tell you that a 500 pound bench press is ungodly...especially from a 263 pound person. Pound for pound, it would make him nearly as strong as Larry Allen, who benched 700 while he was around 340.

Orakpo is built differently. He's thicker across the chest and especially the waist. The type of build you develope over a period of time, not overnight. I've heard it desribed a number of ways...including being "blacksmith strong".

BTW, the photos of Maybin were eye opening. As for the accusations....I've got to wonder if it will matter. <_<

Orakpo is built differently. He's thicker across the chest and especially the waist. The type of build you develope over a period of time, not overnight. I've heard it desribed a number of ways...including being "blacksmith strong".

BTW, the photos of Maybin were eye opening. As for the accusations....I've got to wonder if it will matter. <_<

I know that the players are tested pretty thoroughly at the Combine, but I'm sure the players knew that long before they arrive in Indianapolis. I guess that doesn't mean they aren't juicing, but it really doesn't matter unless they test positive for steroids. Both Orakpo and Maybin look to be locks as Top 10 picks.

I agree with your assessment of Orakpo, but his workout numbers are incredible for a player who was 210 pounds just 3 years ago. I also agree with Army in understanding that it's incredibly hard to put on lean muscle mass. Both players probably have less than 8% body fat and Maybin is probably in the 3%-5% range. Even with a superior workout regiment and a low-carb, high protein diet, the average person can only add about 10-12 pounds of lean muscle per year. As far as comparing the two, Orakpo's frame is close to being maxed out, as far as adding additional weight without losing any flexibility or athleticism. On the other hand, Maybin is a very lean 253 and could top out in the 270-275 range. His body type reminds me of Julius Peppers, maybe a tad bit shorter.

Besides, Maybin is a one year wonder and his production 49-20-12 with three batted down passes and three forced fumbles is very close to Barwin's numbers last year 53-16-11 with 8 passes batted down and three blocked kicks. Barwin's pro day numbers are as folows, 4.47 40, 41.5 vert. leap, at the exact same height and 4 lbs heavier. So question, they both played in similar leagues, their production is roughly the same, Barwin is quicker, faster and more athletic (check out the rest of his combine results). They both had a single breakout year, the only thing Maybin has over Barwin is that he is two years younger, what Barwin has over Maybin is that he is a football junkie, can play special teams or Tight End and that he could be had in the second round.

Why waste a #6 pick on a guy who has one season of productivity when you can get a guy who is better in many aspects in the second round.

Oh and no one is accusing Barwin of Steroids.

Ignoring Maybin for a moment, they held UCLA's Pro Day yesterday, and QB Patrick Cowan was quoted in my morning paper about how pleased he was with his workout and how the team who had showed the most interest was indeed our own beloved Bengals.

Note: USC's Pro Day is today.

Given that one more team needs a QB now, and Sanchez seems to be closing in on Stafford, do you guys think it help or hurt the Bengals if he Sanchez has as strong a Pro Day (or better) than Stafford did?

WTF happened with Ball State QB Nate Davis? I know it's slightly old news, but only one NFL team (Indianapolis) attended his Pro Day? Wasn't he the 4th best QB in the draft last month?

Maybe he's not a late round gem, now.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/21/...-davis-pro-day/

He has a learning disability with a nack for making poor choices,Short with questionable awareness doesn't sound like someone you'd want for a starting QB.