Pro Day Results

WTF happened with Ball State QB Nate Davis? I know it's slightly old news, but only one NFL team (Indianapolis) attended his Pro Day? Wasn't he the 4th best QB in the draft last month?

Maybe he's not a late round gem, now.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/21/...-davis-pro-day/

He has a learning disability with a nack for making poor choices,Short with questionable awareness doesn't sound like someone you'd want for a starting QB.

He was one of the better QBs in the country last year, but I guess the learning disability would explain why he would come out early. Maybe he didn't bounce the idea of coming out against the NFL Advisory Board.

Any news from USC's pro day ???

USC's Pro Day is closed to the public, but students with valid ID can attend. It's still the middle of the day on the West Coast, so maybe some information will be leaked, although I imagine slower than usual. Hopefully, Krumrie isn't out there kicking defensive line arse again.

I was able to find this nugget on Rey, for the Maualuga enthisiasts.

http://usc.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/01/...great-40/12461/

Any news from USC's pro day ???

USC's Pro Day is closed to the public, but students with valid ID can attend. It's still the middle of the day on the West Coast, so maybe some information will be leaked, although I imagine slower than usual. Hopefully, Krumrie isn't out there kicking defensive line arse again.

I was able to find this nugget on Rey, for the Maualuga enthisiasts.

http://usc.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/01/...great-40/12461/

Another tidbit.

http://usc.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/01/...ghlights/12459/

...and more on Rey from Rob Rang (so much for that "Closed to the Public" thing)

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/14323081

They have a video on NFL.com and they sang Matthews' and Cushing's praises, but without badmouthing, didn't say much about Maualuga outside of scouts were concerned about him being a 3-down LB. They had his 40 time averaged at a 4.70. Some scouts had him at 4.68 and some had him at 4.72. Anyway, it's hard to tell what to think of him. I still wouldn't be to upset if he was the pick at #6.

Maualuga DID actually run his 40, but what I didn't know was that he waited until AFTER he completed all the other skill position drills and THEN ran the 40 hoping to save his hamstring. Hard to believe he did all the position drills first and was still able to post a 40 time that some had in the high 4.6 range. Everyone else ran their 40's first.

Sounds beastly...

They have a video on NFL.com and they sang Matthews' and Cushing's praises, but without badmouthing, didn't say much about Maualuga outside of scouts were concerned about him being a 3-down LB. They had his 40 time averaged at a 4.70. Some scouts had him at 4.68 and some had him at 4.72. Anyway, it's hard to tell what to think of him. I still wouldn't be to upset if he was the pick at #6.

Yeah, I just posted where he struggled in the LB drills, including some missed INTs, before rebounding late. IMO, the thing that seperates the Urlachers, Rays, Beasons and Pat Willises is the fact that those guys are all factors in the passing game on 3rd down. If teams are convinced he's only a 2-down player, is he worth even a Top 15 pick? The forty times look pretty good, though and should make it a discussion.

The way it's looking, he might be the 3rd LB taken from USC in the draft. Both Mathews and Cushing have had a far better offseason leading up to the draft.

Maualuga DID actually run his 40, but what I didn't know was that he waited until AFTER he completed all the other skill position drills and THEN ran the 40 hoping to save his hamstring. Hard to believe he did all the position drills first and was still able to post a 40 time that some had in the high 4.6 range. Everyone else ran their 40's first.

Sounds beastly...

I agree. You have to believe that he could've run at least a tenth faster, had he chose the forty first and I think it says something to the fact that he actually WANTED to do the LB drills in front of every NFL team. One thing's for sure, you cannot deny the competitive nature of the USC guys. Whether fans like myself would like to see Rey picked at #6 or not, it's good to see him improve his forty time, if nothing else.

So if we're realistically looking at Rey, Raji, Maybin and Everette Brown as possibly the best defensive players available when we draft in the 1st (assuming Curry and Orakpo are both gone and we wait to get an OT), who do you pick?

I guess that's the million dollar question on Bengals fans' minds these days.

i wonder, would cushing be a reach at #6?

Where would you put Cushing? SAM or MIKE? I personally like the drive and attitude that Rey has shown in dealing with his injury to get back out and compete. It is something that the Bengals lockerroom has been lacking. Not that Cushing isn't an excellent athlete, I would just prefer Maualuga for the intensity he brings.

Sounds beastly...

Perhaps even more beastly than you guessed. The local papers clocked Maulauga at 4.65 and 4.68 and said after completing his second run Maualuga removed his right shoe to reveal a blister said to be roughly the size of a quarter. After one of the writers wondered aloud why Maualuga would work out under such circumstances Rey explained he felt he had no choice after tweaking his hamstring at Indy.

While I'm still not sold on him at #6, him in a trade down wouldn't upset me in the least !!!

How does that work out for Dhani though ?? Do we put thought to moving Dhani to the outside ??

I just can't see drafting Rey and NOT having him start in the middle from day one...

I'm gradually becoming more Pro-Rey. I still think he's a risk/reward type, but Cincinnati might be a good fit with the number of SC guys on the roster, including one his good friends and teammates in Mr. Rivers. The Bengals would have to be convinced he could develop into a 3-down, though. Dhani is 31 years old and the only other true MLB on the roster is Abdul Hodge.

Completing a full NFL workout with a quarter-sized blister on your foot is incredible and it shows you his heart, toughness and competitveness.