How will the season end?

combatbengal

We're a shoe in for the second over all pick; cna we screw it up? Let's see what we have ahead of us.

Next game Colts. Colts looked pretty bad yesterdya, but will come to play us. Manning will make up for his poor performance! We'll go to 1-11-1

Then we have the Skins. They will not let us ruin their playoff hopes! 1-12-1

Browns are down to their 3rd sting QB. This will be a close one and we'll probably squueze out a win. 2-12-1

Last but not least, the Chiefs. another winnable game which we'll probable win. The Bengals don't want a top four pick and will try to mess it up with a win. 2-12-1

We'll end up with the 4th or 5th over all pick.

Indy plays its backups with one hand tied behind their backs, and wins in a walk.

For whatever reason, the Bengals have given the NFC East fits all season, two close losses and a tie. The dead cat bounce begins with a win here.

Cleveland is a wreck. The dead cat bounce continues.

The bounce is complete as the Bengals beat KC and finish 4-11-1.

The surge at the end of the season is used to argue that the team "is only one or two players away." The injury to Carson will be spun as the reason for the poor year, while the horrible o-line play and running game are swept under the rug. Lewis is retained, Chad is not dealt, and TJ is franchised. The 2009 o-line will be Levi, Whit, Santucci, Williams and Collins. The Bengals use their first three picks on RB, WR and, since Shayne is allowed to walk, K.

Indy plays its backups with one hand tied behind their backs, and wins in a walk.

For whatever reason, the Bengals have given the NFC East fits all season, two close losses and a tie. The dead cat bounce begins with a win here.

The surge at the end of the season is used to argue that the team "is only one or two players away." The injury to Carson will be spun as the reason for the poor year, while the horrible o-line play and running game are swept under the rug. Lewis is retained, Chad is not dealt, and TJ is franchised. The 2009 o-line will be Levi, Whit, Santucci, Williams and Collins. The Bengals use their first three picks on RB, WR and, since Shayne is allowed to walk, K.

You. make. me. sad.

You. make. me. sad.

Sorry. I just ask myself, What Would Mikey Do? and the rest is easy. ;)

On the brighter side, I do think we'll see some changes in the offensive coaching staff. Alexander chumming it up with 'Cuse is a pretty significant flag, since he's been here forever and was even given a promotion back in 2003 to get him to stay. And certainly nothing about our o-line play can possibly be creating any interest in him.

Especially if the FO retains Lewis -- and right now I see no reason to believe they won't -- someone(s) on the coaching staff is going to have to take the fall. Alexander and/or Ken Zampese seem obvious candidates to me. Jim Anderson probably get a mulligan. $64k question is, do they whack Brat?

Yup.

Who follows college ball? I want to know who the meanest defensive guy in the draft is. The Bengals haven't had a tough guy since Krumrie and that is what's needed.

Terence Cody - 360 lb DT from Alabama - the next Haynesworth / Kris Jenkins type player, meaning Mikey won't want him (probably thinks we have to pay him by the pound).

Spoken like a long time Bengals fan that has been paying attention.

After looking at who we have left, I believe we'll win one more game at the most, KC. And we may lose that. At this point the majority of players we're putting out there are second string or depth guys, and they are pretty overmatched against any team of starters in the NFL.

After looking at who we have left, I believe we'll win one more game at the most, KC. And we may lose that. At this point the majority of players we're putting out there are second string or depth guys, and they are pretty overmatched against any team of starters in the NFL.

Could be. The idea that the Bengals sweep the last three is driven more by my sense that Murphy's Law is in full force for Bengals fans right now, and a run at the end of the season would knock the team down to around 10th in the draft, meaning they miss out on the blue-chip linemen and end up drafting some offensive skill position guy like Wells.

To your point about the Bengals fielding a lot of second-stringers, well, let's face it, it isn't as if our first-stringers were knocking 'em dead.

I totally agree. There is a real lack of talent on the field for the Bengals right now. Add to that Marvin's refusal to play any of the rookies earlier in the season, and it's hard to see any more wins out of this bunch --- which is fine by me. I still have delusions that a one-win season will bring about the change needed to rebuild this franchise.

I totally agree. There is a real lack of talent on the field for the Bengals right now. Add to that Marvin's refusal to play any of the rookies earlier in the season, and it's hard to see any more wins out of this bunch --- which is fine by me. I still have delusions that a one-win season will bring about the change needed to rebuild this franchise.

I think more starters check out before the KC game and the Bengals actually start guys who were out of the league before the Bengals had even started losing. 1-14-1. Our bad luck continues cuz Detroit does worse this year and snags that number 1 pick.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear God... Hoosier looks like a prophet there with four games to go. Impressive.

I really hope you're wrong about the '09 draft and starting O-line... but why would you be?

Dear God... Hoosier looks like a prophet there with four games to go. Impressive.

I really hope you're wrong about the '09 draft and starting O-line... but why would you be?

No offense to Hoosier on this one, but he's more of a historian than prophet. I mean, for crying out loud, was this not the same book that defined the Bengals teams of the late nineties/early two thousands? Late season bursts, 'we're a draft away', the whole nine yards.

Seen this movie.

No offense to Hoosier on this one, but he's more of a historian than prophet. I mean, for crying out loud, was this not the same book that defined the Bengals teams of the late nineties/early two thousands? Late season bursts, 'we're a draft away', the whole nine yards.

Seen this movie.

You're absolutely right. And those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Yet, so many fans refused to believe that the Bengals could win out and actually finish 3rd instead of last. And this exact finish will be what causes so many to choose to have hope going into next season. After all, Palmer was hurt, and we'll get new draft picks... we can only get better, right?

At least that will be the thinking for those who have let the '05 season erase the memory of that decade known as the 90's. Exactly what Mike Brown is hoping for.

Chalk that one up to a blind squirrel finding a cache of four acorns. I'm sure it won't happen again. Generally speaking, my predictions aren't worth the virtual paper they're printed on.

Chalk that one up to a blind squirrel finding a cache of four acorns. I'm sure it won't happen again. Generally speaking, my predictions aren't worth the virtual paper they're printed on.

Very nice article, the 'stupidity' aside.