Bengals Ranked 16th on Defense

johnson85

Who would have thought last year that the following season we would be 16th on Defense (the highest in 7 years) and dead last on offense, after being ranked 10th last year. Well I guess that comes with the territory of being a Bengals fan huh, cant have both at the same time.

I attribute the admirable defensive improvement to many things. First and foremost the replacement of Bresnahan by Zimmer. (If we had only replaced Bratkowski too, we might be admiring both squads IMHO!) The addition of Odom in the FA market. The addition of Rivers and Sims in the draft. And lastly, the maturation/building of experience in Hall, Joseph, Jones, Jeanty, and Ndukwe.

The D is definitely better but I wouldn't get too hyped up yet. Remember, this ranking uses yards allowed, and thanks to our crappy O, teams haven't had to go very far to score. I think the longest scoring drive by the Jets last week was 47 yards.

We are something like 21 as measured by points allowed, which is probably a more accurate measure of the D right now.

The D is definitely better but I wouldn't get too hyped up yet. Remember, this ranking uses yards allowed, and thanks to our crappy O, teams haven't had to go very far to score. I think the longest scoring drive by the Jets last week was 47 yards.

We are something like 21 as measured by points allowed, which is probably a more accurate measure of the D right now.

How about that 15 yard punt today by Larson? The Steelers offense only gain 30 yards on the following drive for a td. Yeah our D is badass!

How about that 15 yard punt today by Larson? The Steelers offense only gain 30 yards on the following drive for a td. Yeah our D is badass!

The D held then to a FG on that drive. That actually was a case of good defense, since the Steelers got the ball already in FG range.

True. The Raiders D was top 5 a couple of years ago for similar reasons. However, quite a few 3 & outs for opposing teams is a really encouraging sign and more indicative of some improvements to the D. Especially our young secondary.

Who would have thought last year that the following season we would be.. dead last on offense, after being ranked 10th last year.

We have a very pass oriented offense, and after the 16th game last year the only two good receivers just plain quit showing up for work.

Then our offensive line went into free fall.

Then Carson got hurt.

Then Chris Perry did whatever it was he did.

In other words, the perfect storm of offensive suckness.

But you gotta counter your point with how often the defense is on the field. I know that's an immeasurable statistically, but if they could get more breathers during the game, they probably don't give up as many points in the late third quarter on. Regardless how you slice the situation, it's still promising this defense can be a (barely) top half team statistically and we should take all the positives as fans as we can.

The D held then to a FG on that drive. That actually was a case of good defense, since the Steelers got the ball already in FG range.

Well giving up 38 points isn't exactly a good defense. Getting once again 0 sacks and 0 pressure on the QB isn't exactly a good defense. Allowing a third string runningback to run for over 100 yards and score 3 tds doesn't mean the defense is any good. Yeah the Bengals offense sucked, but the D was just as bad, and the only reason why the Bengals pass defense looks pretty good is because teams don't have to throw the ball against the Bengals because their rush defense is so pitiful. If the Bengals could stop the run the pass defense would be worse because the Bengals cannot get pressure or sacks on the qb.

the problem is the same as the offense. it all starts up front and we don't have the players at those positions to win. this team has worried so much about skill positions, that the lines have deteriorated to what we have today. we really need to get collins on the field so we know what we have. then i would like to see how shirley and sims would do playing next to each other. a good draft and a couple freeagents signing could get this started down the right path, but we know this team has no clue so we are f**ked!!!!!!!!!