Steve "the colonel" Cropper - Atlantic Stax

Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits

David Gilmour - Pink Floyd

Duane Allman - Allman Bros.

Andres Segovia - eponymous

Brian May - Queen

Lindsey Buckingham - Fleetwood Mac

Buddy Guy - eponymous

Notice I say favorite not best, I can respect Clapton's ability while not "feeling" anything from him as a player. I really like guitarists that make me feel something.

I know that there is a forum for this stuff, but I ask to keep this thread or others in the Bengals forum to provide an escape.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about

Earl Klugh ???

Cray ???

George Benson ???

Can Ya'll play something funky for a brother to drive to ??????

George Benson's album "Breezin'" is an all time great. I grew up with that one and still listen to it today.

G.Benson-Breezin-f.jpg

In no certain order...just all badass guitar players. But in my opinion Satriani is the best cause he is not only great technically but he is also knows tons of music theory. its just amazing to hear him explain how to play some of things he plays. He knows his stuff.

Joe Satriani

Kirk Hammett

Jason Becker - If you don't know about him, check him out on Youtube

Alex Lifeson

Yngwie Malmstien

Steve Vai

Eddie Van Halen

John Petrucci

Buckethead

Prince

Slash

Randy Rhodes

Jimi Hendrix

Carlos Santana

Some newer Guitarists I like are

Mark Tremonti - Creed/ Alter Bridge

Mike Mushok - Staind, used to be in a shred metal band before staind. I've heard him solo in concert and he was pretty damn good.

Synyster Gates - Avenged Sevenfold

In no certain order...just all badass guitar players. But in my opinion Satriani is the best cause he is not only great technically but he is also knows tons of music theory. its just amazing to hear him explain how to play some of things he plays. He knows his stuff.

Joe Satriani

Kirk Hammett

Alex Lifeson

Yngwie Malmstien

Steve Vai

Eddie Van Halen

John Petrucci

Buckethead

Prince

Slash

Randy Rhodes

Jimi Hendrix

Carlos Santana

Mike Mushok - Staind, used to be in a shred metal band before staind. I've heard him solo in concert and he was pretty damn good.

Buckethead? He can do the retro thing, which I can dig, but I still wouldn't rank him this high.

Joe Satriani

Kirk Hammett

Alex Lifeson

Yngwie Malmstien

Steve Vai

Eddie Van Halen

John Petrucci

Buckethead

Prince

Slash

Randy Rhodes

Jimi Hendrix

Carlos Santana

Buckethead? He can do the retro thing, which I can dig, but I still wouldn't rank him this high.

I was randomly throwing them out as they came to me. Like i said "in no certain order" but he can rip it with the best of em.

Guitar One voted him number 8 on a list of the "Top 10 Greatest Guitar Shredders of All Time"

another I forgot is Matt Rach. He is no big name or anything but he is on youtube. He is like 17 or so, but he is awesome.

IN no particular order.

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Eddie VanHalen

Randy Rhoads

George Harrison

Eric Clapton

Forgot Carlos Santana and David Gilmour.

George Benson on "On Broadway"

The Edge

Andy Summers

Slash

Also for an absolute unknown, I saw a guy at a blues bar in Chicago about 15 years ago. His name was Deion Payton. He came in a side door with his guitar case in-hand, plugged his guitar into his amp and just played his ass off for a couple of hours. He was a combination of Bo Diddley and Jimi Hendrix among others. Very entertaining guy. Every bit as good, if not better, than the famous names in rock.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - no contest - he eats everyone else for lunch

Although a confirmed Duane Allman afficianado, I agree SRV is top 5 - but so is Jeff Healey (I just l-o-o-o-o-ve slide guitar.) Check this out: Little Sister

Stevie Ray Vaughn - no contest - he eats everyone else for lunch

Although a confirmed Duane Allman afficianado, I agree SRV is top 5 - but so is Jeff Healey (I just l-o-o-o-o-ve slide guitar.) Check this out: Little Sister

Thanks! I've seen that one before and I agree it's phenominal...

I was lucky enough to see SRV perform with Joe Cocker down at Riverbend the summer before he died. It is still the best concert I've ever seen - religious...

SRV actually openned for Joe Cocker but even Joe Cocker said that it should have been the other way around.

It's really hard to understand when someone like that gets taken from the world...