Brat -- "Rudi will be the main guy"

kingwilly

From da site:

Answering Hobson's ?

BB: Rudi will be the main guy. But there will be a series somewhere in the first half for DeDe and a series somewhere for Kenny. Or, maybe a special play at some point for Kenny or DeDe where we'll put them in for a snap. We'll utilize those guys and utilize their talents.

...what is it with these guys? DeDe might get a series? KW a series? a snap, here or there? No mention of Mr. Perry....hmm.

I sense something ugly this fall when the Bengals have the ball.

I'm willing to give Rudi the benefit of the doubt, especially with last year's injuries plaguing him, but if he doesn't open the season with spectacular performances, his rope has to be short. He posts 25 yards on the ground in game one on fresh legs, or 2.5 yards per carry, action has to be swift.

That said, at least no one mentioned Shaun Alexander. :D

I totally agree with Central, why go into camp with blinders, open the competition at the RB? Why not? Watson basically carried us last year he was the only constant thing in the back field.

Far as I am concerned Rudi/ Perry/ and will say Dede needs to prove and deserve the honor of being the #1 back. Is Rudi the only "starting back" with the fewest long runs? over 10 yards? 15 yards? over 20 yards?

I see other backs out there able to break a long run here in there.... Why would you play you secondary honest.... God knows if we run the ball it is not going far....

Guess Rudi has his Silver Platter

I am recalling that throughout this period LAST year, we'd get reports about how Rudi was (with the help of a full time dietician/chef) reshaping his body for less fat, more muscle, and an overall lighter/quicker form.

Based on that, and the less than desireable results this past season, I was guessing we'd b hearing by now about how he was adding muscle mass and bulk to get back to power running this upcoming season

But I've heard nothing

Just seems odd.

Okay, I know I'm gonna hear it for this, but seriously, IF Chris Perry is healthy(okay,okay big if) He's the best combination of Speed, power, and elusiveness they've got. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, He reminds me a lot of Garrison Hearst(who also had injuries the first couple of seasons with the Cardinals) then left(and after 1 year with the Bengals) went on to have some very good years with the 49ers. Perry(like Hearst) has a great blend of rushing and receiving skills.

Okay, I know I'm gonna hear it for this, but seriously, IF Chris Perry is healthy(okay,okay big if) He's the best combination of Speed, power, and elusiveness they've got. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, He reminds me a lot of Garrison Hearst(who also had injuries the first couple of seasons with the Cardinals) then left(and after 1 year with the Bengals) went on to have some very good years with the 49ers. Perry(like Hearst) has a great blend of rushing and receiving skills.

Can't we shoot for a little higher than the next Garrison Hearst? In the five seasons he played in which he played all 16 games, his year in Cincy was the lowest in yards and yards per carry. Plus, his one season in Cincy is the only season in which he had zero touchdowns, regardless of games played. He was never consistent nor durable.

I totally agree with Central, why go into camp with blinders, open the competition at the RB? Why not? Watson basically carried us last year he was the only constant thing in the back field.

In my view he will remain so. The more playing time he saw, the better he played. I feel Brat needs to shut his trap about who's the starter at this point, and let training camp/pre-season determine it like men. Not like some noodle headed, overly predictable, numb nuts OC.

i have no problem giving a healthy rudi the starting job. i also like the ideal of designing packages for watson a dede. rudi is the only back we have that is capable of 20+ carries every week. i don't see watson or dede being able to hold up for a whole season taking that kind of pounding. they can make plays but neither are a feature back. the thing that scares me the most is brat. in the past once if his first couple running plays don't gain a lot of yards he gets way to predictable and total forgets about the run game. also brat is not very good at making adjustment when his game plan is not working. to me the real question is.

A. can brat design a effective game plan to run the ball.

B. will brat stay patient with the run when it is not effective as they would like.

C. will brat fold under pressure like he has in the past. does he have what it takes to call a effective game and make the proper adjustments to put his team in the best position to make the right plays.

i don't think brat does. i think brat should have been shown the door along with bresh.

i have no problem giving a healthy rudi the starting job.

I do if he's clearly not the best RB on the team. How about we name Watson as starter, and design some two to three yard dive plays for Rudi, seeing how that seems to be his forte'. <_<

I am recalling that throughout this period LAST year, we'd get reports about how Rudi was (with the help of a full time dietician/chef) reshaping his body for less fat, more muscle, and an overall lighter/quicker form.

Based on that, and the less than desireable results this past season, I was guessing we'd b hearing by now about how he was adding muscle mass and bulk to get back to power running this upcoming season

But I've heard nothing

Just seems odd.

Actually, I seem to remember that both Curnutte and Hobson have made passing reference to Rudi having bulked up since the end of last season and the coaching staff's positive reaction to his offseason conditioning.

Chris Perry is done. He may be a 3rd down type at this point, but I doubt his speed is still there the first few months. Furthermore he can't run between the tackles for squat in the NFL. And with too many carries he will get hurt again.

If Rudi's healthy and feeling better, and holds up, there's nothing wrong with him being the #1 back and sharing carries with Watson or Alexander if he comes here.

Rudi's a downhill back who needs a head of steam, right now I question if this o-line is a good fit for that type, it seems someone who can avoid tacklers in the backfield or cut back might be best, as Watson proved last year.

I do if he's clearly not the best RB on the team. How about we name Watson as starter, and design some two to three yard dive plays for Rudi, seeing how that seems to be his forte'. <_<

How's he gonna get three yards when he can't get past his lineman?

C. will brat fold under pressure like he has in the past. does he have what it takes to call a effective game and make the proper adjustments to put his team in the best position to make the right plays.

i don't think brat does. i think brat should have been shown the door along with bresh.

I agree with this 100%, Brat's offensive play calling was one of the major problems last season. Maybe he will learn from his tape studies of last year and change.

How's he gonna get three yards when he can't get past his lineman?

I did consider this, but I thought with Willie back he could at least accomplish this.

How is he supposed to get past his linemen if hes running in to their backs.

You say that is though it's his intent.

The best thing the Bengals can do to help Rudi and the others is for Chad Johnson to play and play well in 2008. With him then defenses have to accept a mismatch with the offense because Chad commands a double team, without him, its mano e mano all the way. How many of you guys believe Rudi, Watson, DDD will win more than 3 games for us if the offense depends upon them? The wild card is Chris Perry, Simpson and Caldwell. If two out of the three can account for Chad's production, then things might be alright in 2008.

From the Enquirer:

He (Rudi) said Lewis already has talked to everyone involved about his goal to re-establish the Bengals as a run-first and run-well team.

"We play a bunch of down-and-dirty defenses in our division," Johnson said. "You have to pound the rock to win. Defenses didn't respect our run game last year."

Johnson also said he plans to gain weight. He wouldn't say how light he played in 2007, but he is returning to the 220-pound range at which he played from 2003-05.

"He has been in all winter," Lewis said. "When he arrived last Monday (for the start of the offseason program), you could tell he was already in a different mind-set. He feels like he has something to prove."

2005 Cincinnati Bengals 16 337 1,458 4.3 12 33

2004 Cincinnati Bengals 16 361 1,454 4.0 12 52

2003 Cincinnati Bengals 13 215 957 4.5 9 54

If he can get back to this form, I would be more than happy about that.

I seem to recall from last year's posts that the reason Rudi was trying to lose weight was to avoid wear and tear on his....knees, I think?

Also, from watching last year I believe a lot of Brat's "pass first" play calling was due to lack of confidence in the defence. This lack of confidence was usually justified. If you had a defense that actually wouldn't give up the 11 yard pass on 3rd and 10, that might be different.

How refreshing it was to see Zimmer insist that "every pass should be contested" and that an opposing receiver making a 10 yard reception and run out of bounds should "never happen".

Now THAT kind of defense would make a running game worthwhile.....

I seem to recall from last year's posts that the reason Rudi was trying to lose weight was to avoid wear and tear on his....knees, I think?

Also, from watching last year I believe a lot of Brat's "pass first" play calling was due to lack of confidence in the defence. This lack of confidence was usually justified. If you had a defense that actually wouldn't give up the 11 yard pass on 3rd and 10, that might be different.

How refreshing it was to see Zimmer insist that "every pass should be contested" and that an opposing receiver making a 10 yard reception and run out of bounds should "never happen".

Now THAT kind of defense would make a running game worthwhile.....

You mean you're not going to miss Breshnahan's "Cover None" defensive schemes?

The words sound promising so far. I'm looking forward to camp starting and watching the preseason games play out.