1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

Welcome to the 2008 NFL Draft weekend (Bengalszone Style) !!!

This is the place to discuss everything there is about who the Bengals take in the 1st round...

To start this up, I will still put all my eggs in either Ellis, Rivers, or a trade down. I'm hoping they just man up, get aggressive and make the trade UP to get either one of the top two DT's... Taking a RB (Not named McFadden) or WR at #9 might me me throw things at my new TV and that would be BAD !!!

I'm also still hoping to see Chad traded and pick up another 1st, but I'm now betting against it actually happening...

WHODEY !!!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the place to discuss everything there is about who the Bengals take in the 1st round...

To start this up, I will still put all my eggs in either Ellis, Rivers, or a trade down. I'm hoping they just man up, get aggressive and make the trade UP to get either one of the top two DT's... Taking a RB or WR at #9 might me me throw things at my new TV and that would be BAD !!!

I'm also still hoping to see Chad traded and pick up another 1st, but I'm now betting against it actually happening...

It won't. The Bengals are intent on hammering Chad, otherwise they would have jumped on Washington's offer. I'm behind them 100% here. Set a precedent. Make a stand. And most of all, Screw Drew!

As far as where your eggs sit, I agree, but it's one of three picks in the 1st. Ellis, River, or Mendenhall.

It should be obvious who I prefer. :rolleyes:

No clue. I have decided to stop hoping for certain players.

If Ellis is there, it is a no-brainer.

If he is gone, then the Bengals could go any of a number of different ways, each of which would be defensible, which means no matter what they do, they would be ripped by fans and media. Trading down would be ideal, but that's not going to happen. So I will just look forward to being surprised, and reading the cries of anguish on this board. It's an April tradition for me.

Every one of you are dead wrong. We're not going to pick an OL or DL. We're not going to pick a RB or a DB. In the first round the Bengals select, place kicker, who ever. OK, I'm kidding. We need Def so pick Def. However, if by a slim chance McFadden is still there, pick him. He can always trade him or use him. However, I want a pro bowl run stopper and or QB rusher.

Almost everyone is going to be pissed when the Bengals select Ryan Clady with the 9th pick...

Not I my friend. I'll always welcome good linemen no matter which side of the ball they play on. :sure:

Meh Well I want to see our Oline Improve I'd be happy with Levi and Whitworth on the outside...just sucks this draft is strong at tackle weak at interior.

Some many are hoping for Ellis tht it is unlikely to happen. So then i would want Rivers. Then McElvin. NO OFFENSIVE PLAYERS IN THE FIRST ROUND. WE NEED DEFENSE!

Ya let's select CB's 3 years in a row o_O...Give me Offense before you give me a 1st round nickel corner for 4-5 years.

Every one of you are dead wrong. We're not going to pick an OL or DL. We're not going to pick a RB or a DB. In the first round the Bengals select, place kicker, who ever. OK, I'm kidding. We need Def so pick Def. However, if by a slim chance McFadden is still there, pick him. He can always trade him or use him. However, I want a pro bowl run stopper and or QB rusher.

I actually heard a rumor on the rumor-mill ESPN that we were actually contemplating a RB in the first round. Having said that, I predict a major swerve and overreaction by the Bengals, who take...

"...and with the ninth pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Mario Manningham, wide receiver, University of Michigan.

:angry:

:lmao:

I actually heard a rumor on the rumor-mill ESPN that we were actually contemplating a RB in the first round. Having said that, I predict a major swerve and overreaction by the Bengals, who take...

Aslong as Ellis is Gone or His name is Mcfadden or Rivers is gone and we trade down.

Aslong as Ellis is Gone or His name is Mcfadden or Rivers is gone and we trade down.

I agree on McFadden, but two problems with that scenario:

1. May not be there by number nine.

2. Too much coin for SOP.

Regardless, even if we drafted him, he would either:

a. Hold out until the season started or

b. Get injured in the first pre season game on the first play and become another Carter/Irons.

Sorry, is my 'Bengals karma' showing?

1. May not be there by number nine.

This I am not worried about because I really don't want a RB at 9,Mcfadden for me is hard to say no too if there isn't a Defensive player that's not a CB worth 9#.....I would never take Mcfadden before ellis but I would take him before the toprated CB or S in this draft.

For the record, Mario Manningham scored a 6 on the Wonderlic. That is ridiculously hard to do. You almost have to be an idiot savant to score that low. That's lower than Chris Henry low. Low. Beyond low. LOW.

So, no, no Mario Manningham in the first round. I am hearing he may slip to the 3rd round, fwiw.

The guy talking about what the cowboys will do mentioned that Jerry Jones has shown intrest in chad but doesn't feel he would be compatible with T.O...

Which I find funny since I thought T.O and Chad were suppossed be friends and chad backed him up in his holdout.

PFT

BENGALS STILL AREN’T BUDGING

Posted by Mike Florio on April 26, 2008, 11:49 a.m.

So we heard ESPN’s Merrill Hoge claim earlier in the day that, based on discussions with the Cincinnati Bengals, he believes that the Bengals would only trade receiver Chad Johnson if someone gives up two first-round picks and an established player. And the Bengals would want $5 million back from Johnson in previously-paid bonus money.

Hoge also declares that the Bengals would also be forced to cut running back Rudi Johnson if such a deal is done.

Huh?

We’ll assume for now that Hoge has had another concussion. If not, where in the heck did Hoge get the idea that the Bengals would be compelled to cut Johnson? As we’ve previously explained, the $8 million in dead money that the Bengals would be carrying after a pre-June 1 trade would be offset by Johnson’s $3 million base salary, resulting in a net hit of $5 million in 2008.

The easy way to clear the money arising from the Johnson cap hit would be to reduce quarterback Carson Palmer’s base salary from $7.75 million to the veteran minimum by paying him a big chunk of it right now as a guaranteed amount, which then would be prorated over time.

Paying Palmer $7 million right now and spreading it over five years would clear up $5.6 million in 2008 cap room. And that would be more than enough to cover the net cap hit from trading Johnson.

Bottom line — if the Bengals wanted to move Johnson, they could do it without cutting a single veteran. The truth is they don’t w

PFT

RAVENS, SAINTS TO SWAP PICKS?

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 26, 2008, 12:02 p.m.

With just three hours to go before the start of the draft, trade talk is getting fast and furious, and John Clayton of ESPN reports that the Saints and Ravens could make a deal.

The Ravens want to draft a quarterback and they don’t think they’ll be able to nab their first choice, Matt Ryan of Boston College, with the eighth pick in the draft. That would then lead the Ravens to try to trade down and select their second-rated quarterback, Chad Henne of Michigan, and Clayton reports that they’d be willing to take Henne as high as 10th, the pick the Saints own.

That would be viewed as a major reach by just about every draft analyst, but according to Clayton, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

The Saints have made no secret this week that they’re willing to buck the recent trend of teams not wanting to trade up in the draft. New Orleans seems to think that it needs to bolster its defensive line and that the top four prospects — Virginia’s Chris Long, LSU’s Glenn Dorsey, Ohio State’s Vernon Gholston and USC’s Sedrick Ellis — will all be gone in the first nine picks.

One stumbling block in such a trade happening is that the standard draft trade chart would call for the Saints to throw in a fourth-round pick to make such a move, but the Saints have already traded their fourth-round pick to the Jets.

Mikey on phone now! make a deal with belicheat -_-

For the record, Mario Manningham scored a 6 on the Wonderlic. That is ridiculously hard to do.

I heard an interview on the radio with Manningham. I doubt he can bathe himself, use tools, or engage in any sort of abstract thought. But he did have the ability to move his mouth and produce sounds, some of which sounded like words from the english language. If he scored a 6, they must give out 6 points for grunting your name at the test administrator.

For the record, Mario Manningham scored a 6 on the Wonderlic. That is ridiculously hard to do.

I heard an interview on the radio with Manningham. I doubt he can bathe himself, use tools, or engage in any sort of abstract thought. But he did have the ability to move his mouth and produce sounds, some of which sounded like words from the english language. If he scored a 6, they must give out 6 points for grunting your name at the test administrator.

Which makes it sound as if Manningham is a good candidate to wear stripes...unless the Titans do shag him first. Hey, why not? They need receivers and let's have one '6' throw to another.

To start this up, I will still put all my eggs in either Ellis, Rivers, or a trade down. I'm hoping they just man up, get aggressive and make the trade UP to get either one of the top two DT's... Taking a RB (Not named McFadden) or WR at #9 might me me throw things at my new TV and that would be BAD !!!

WHODEY !!!

Yeah im with you. After all of these mock drafts its getting to the point where i'd be dissapointed if we didnt end up with Ellis. Im not as into Rivers as a lot of you but if we cant get Ellis i'd be fine with a trade down.