Fanene re-signed

TJJackson

from: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/benga...r-de-fanene.asp

Friday, February 22, 2008

3-year deal for DE Fanene

By Mark Curnutte

mcurnutte@enquirer.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- High-energy defensive end Jonathan Fanene has reached agreement on a three-year contract to remain with the Bengals.

Fanene, the team’s seventh-round draft pick in 2005, played in a career-high 14 games last season. He had six total tackles, including one sack in the season finale at Miami.

He has played in 21 games with one start and has 14 career tackles.

Fanene, slowed in his first two seasons by hamstring injuries, was eligible to be a restricted free agent. NFL teams have until Thursday to offer tenders to restricted free agents. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, offensive tackle Adam Kieft and wide receiver Tab Perry are the Bengals’ other restricted free agents.

Coach Marvin Lewis was asked today about Fanene and fellow defensive end Frostee Rucker.

"Both guys have ability to play," Lewis said. "Fanene got his opportunities last year and did a good job."

Coach Marvin Lewis was asked today about Fanene and fellow defensive end Frostee Rucker.

"Both guys have ability to play," Lewis said. "Fanene got his opportunities last year and did a good job."

Maybe that will bloom into "great" instead of "good" before too long.

Fear the Fanene?

It's all about staying healthy.

Fanane is a good young player for the Bengals and reasonable priced. He works hard too. Makes sense to me.

I figure Thornton, BRob and Smith are out the door, so Fanane, will get lots of new friends by training camp.

With all the picks they will have, the Bengals will be one of the youngest defenses in the league. Will any starter have over 5 years in the league?

Hope they have enough left over for a respectable, and/or fairly expensive FA who can help. Guard, Center, DT, LB, S...use the system Bingals, take part please. Aim higher.

Marvin's comments below seem to indicate they are letting some defensive guys walk (though they did low-ball Landon knowing he would turn it down) with the intention of replacing them in free agency. Just an unusual quote from cryptic Marvin, he nearly came out and said something in plain language that he actually meant. But I still take from this comment that they are going to use the system, as you put it.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...U8.html?sid=101

The Cincinnati Bengals are expected to draft a defensive lineman with the No. 9 overall pick, and they could lose up to four starters though free agency. Coach Marvin Lewis seemed comfortable with that turnover. The Bengals continue to negotiate with defensive end Justin Smith, linebacker Landon Johnson and safety Madieu Williams, but Lewis said any deal will be on the team's terms. "It may be the case where they need to go out and see what the market is for their services," he said, adding with a smile, "We're going into free agency just like they are."

Your stupid for that one (funny), I'm with you I don't believe in these guys who spend more time on ir then on the field in their career. If we get them cheap then I guess they are worth signing to be backups.

But are they really? Think of it like this. Our starter gets injured... Our injury prone #2 likely gets injured a few games in, now what? Sure if our starters are tough as hell and Mr. Hurt only sees a few snaps each season it might be worth it otherwise....

Your stupid for that one (funny), I'm with you I don't believe in these guys who spend more time on ir then on the field in their career. If we get them cheap then I guess they are worth signing to be backups.

But are they really? Think of it like this. Our starter gets injured... Our injury prone #2 likely gets injured a few games in, now what? Sure if our starters are tough as hell and Mr. Hurt only sees a few snaps each season it might be worth it otherwise....

Well we have to imagine that this continual loss of the majority of our draft picks and FA to IR will have an end, or else theres no point

in making any move at all. It isnt like the scouting report for Pollack said "Has a tendency to break his spine against the Cleveland Browns".