Big Willie, Rudi and the Running Game

rwalling

Our defense would have looked a far brighter shade of sucky if it had been on the field 28-30 minutes instead of 35!

Without Rudi and Willie Anderson, this team is incapable of running the football. Because of that and our defense's TOTAL inability to get off the field on third down, we haven't been able to win time of possession (or the game) all season.

I lay plenty of our problems at Bresnahan and the defense's feet. The rest fall squarely at the feet of the running game aspects of the offense.

I think Big Willie would help but I have to disagree about Rudi. I think he has had an inordinate amount of terrible blocking in front of him on many plays, but I really think Watson consistently does a better job overall- with and without good blocking in front of him. I'll take Watson's 4.6 ypc over Rudi's incredible 2.8 ypc anyday. I'm really not sure who wouldn't.

I think Big Willie would help but I have to disagree about Rudi. I think he has had an inordinate amount of terrible blocking in front of him on many plays, but I really think Watson consistently does a better job overall- with and without good blocking in front of him. I'll take Watson's 4.6 ypc over Rudi's incredible 2.8 ypc anyday. I'm really not sure who wouldn't.

Don't forget about Chad. Trade him...don't trade him. Whatever. His head is messed up. I've never seen him drop so many easy and catchable passes.

Having Willie in there makes a huge difference in the running game. Rudi is finished in my opinion. I'm not sure why Marvin keeps pounding him in there. Nostalgia, I suppose. For all our injuries on defense, I feel the injury to Willie has had the biggest impact on this season.

Having Willie in there makes a huge difference in the running game. Rudi is finished in my opinion. I'm not sure why Marvin keeps pounding him in there. Nostalgia, I suppose. For all our injuries on defense, I feel the injury to Willie has had the biggest impact on this season.

Watson didn't do anything either. The O-line is busted. They're getting blasted back into the RB's face on almost every snap.

I think Watson only ran the ball four times total DCB...not enough to decide that he "didn't do anything either". He should have been given the ball a LOT more than he was.

I don't understand this coaching staff and its decision-making right now.

Watson didn't do anything either. The O-line is busted. They're getting blasted back into the RB's face on almost every snap.

This team is aging while losing high draft picks over the last few years, so its begin ripped apart. Rudi and Willie are old in NFL terms. Bengals don't have any better replacements unfortunately. If they can get Chris Henry, TJ and Chad on the field at the same time, Carson will start killing teams and the running game will prosper. Still their defense won't stop anyone and the offense will have to score on almost all possessions in order to win. 8 games left, I think they win 3 of them and finish 5-11 for the year.