Depth

rwalling

As I look through this roster, I am struck by the improved depth at several positions. For example:

OFFENSE

OL - Kooistra and Andrews sit if the big fellas are back opening day! Nice. Stepanovich and Livings are solid pros as a backups too.

WR - Tab, Chatman, Holt, BB, Skyler and eventually Chris

TE - Coats and Day appear promising

Weaknesses

Irons/Perry are better than Watson as a change of pace/3rd down back

Carson goes down we're screwed.

DEFENSE

CB- Ratliff and Hall are nice security if Deltha fails

Safety - White, Jones, Kilmer, and Ndukewe all help us forget the days of Ohalete

DT - I like the Peko, Myers, Thornton, Mackenzie (with BRob available) rotation better than last year's

Weaknesses

Other than Hartell (who could beat out Brooks) and Caleb, LB is not deep. Losing Henderson and Odell hurts.

DE needs Fanene to stay healthy and Frostee to man up

Concerns ??

#1. WR- With all the injuries already, could we afford Chad or TJ being gone knowing Henry won't be there for the first 8 games ??

#2. QB- God help us all !!!

#3. OL- We have backups alright, but the injuries that already exist make this a concern.

#4. DL- What happens if Peko isn't there ?? Smith or Geathers ??

#5. LB- Everett looks to get a spot with the loss of Henderson, but color me unimpressed. At least we have some ST talent in the group...

#6. RB- Is anyone else PRAYING Chris Perry can make it back ??

#7. TE- This will always be a problem. Then again, do we use a TE ??

I do however, like our depth in the secondary !!!

WHODEY !!!

LB, LB, LB!

It is horrible. It is like Marvin has dedicated the draft to LBs and we have no one.

Caleb Miller, are you serious? He is ST and backup. We overreached for him. And Landon is a poor mans Brian Simmons when he was in his prime. Atleast Brian occassionally made some plays. Landon just gets ran over or pushed backwards.

DT, DT!

Peko is our only true player at DT. Maybe Myers. Allen has constantly been wounded in his career. JT should be a backup for Nickel packages.

Well this will be the first year that I won't rip the Bengals for not having Safety depth. B)

What I like,

1. Offensive Line. - Yeah, Levi's sore and Willie's hurting, but both are gamers especially Willie. Kooistra has been decent,Andrews has been a beast and Whitworth is a very solid and consistent player. He could get a pro bowl nod if the offense looks good this year, without some noticeable weapons.

2. Defensive Line. - While I'm not a fan of Justin Smith, John Thornton or Bryan Robinson, I do like the fact that this season we may finally have enough serviceable talent to keep guys fresh. The Run defense should be improved simply because Domato Peko is starting. - Marvin has had 5 years to fix this defense, and in year six, there will finally be a defensive tackle or END drafted in the first round.

3. Special Teams. - Considering that most of the players we insist on bringing in and drafting are meant to play special teams, this unit should continue to excell. The return game should be better, with Skyler Green returning punts.

What I don't like,

1. Line Backer, - This one isn't actually the Front Offices' fault. O'Dell's suspension, Pollack's injury would vastly improve this defense. Landon is an above average linebacker, Caleb Miller is , well he's just a guy on the roster if you ask me. Maybe Marshall improves us I don't know. Ahmad Brooks is an outside linebacker, not an Inside linebacker. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid Cincy might do to Brooks what it did to Francis. All World athlete, best used in moving around. Ahmad Brooks needs to freelance, He's built like a pass rusher, So let him pass rush.

2. Runningback. - Rudi is consistent, he'll get his 1350-1440 yards and 12 touchdowns. But the health of everyone else behind him remains the same concern of 4 years ago.

3. Wide Receiver. - Tab Perry looks lost. Chatman will be cut. Brazell doesn't have the hands to be a consistent threat. Chris Henry's suspension will hurt us. Reggie McNeal was a busted draft pick. Glen Holt and Skyler Green probably make the roster because of their return ability.

Word still out on .....

1. Cornerbacks. - Joseph can cover, Hall will be fine, and Deltha O'Neal when not disgruntled is a pro bowler, Ratliff was supposed to be better player this year, but he's not, and he's not on the field. Who is our 5th Corner?? Herana Daze Jones?? I hope not. What about Brandon Williams ?? Hard to say... T.J. Wright??? looks like a practice squad player to me. Blue Adams should not make this squad.

Ahmad Brooks is an outside linebacker, not an Inside linebacker. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid Cincy might do to Brooks what it did to Francis. All World athlete, best used in moving around. Ahmad Brooks needs to freelance, He's built like a pass rusher, So let him pass rush.

I can't argue with this....especially now. Last season Brooks seemed to have a great feel for the blitz, and looked like a wrecking ball despite his lack of experience. This preseason he's looked more like a slow read-and-react player who lacks aggression. If Brooks loses his spot in the middle....turning him loose in the Joker role that David Pollack and Eric Henderson have now abandoned might turn on the switch.

Ahmad Brooks is an outside linebacker, not an Inside linebacker. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid Cincy might do to Brooks what it did to Francis. All World athlete, best used in moving around. Ahmad Brooks needs to freelance, He's built like a pass rusher, So let him pass rush.

I can't argue with this....especially now. Last season Brooks seemed to have a great feel for the blitz, and looked like a wrecking ball despite his lack of experience. This preseason he's looked more like a slow read-and-react player who lacks aggression. If Brooks loses his spot in the middle....turning him loose in the Joker role that David Pollack and Eric Henderson have now abandoned might turn on the switch.

Looks like you both may be getting your wish...this from Curnutte's notes column:

Middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks said Friday that coaches now have him working as a pass-rushing end on third downs.

"They're starting to put my hand down on the ground (off the end)," said Brooks, the team's projected starting middle linebacker.

Well this will be the first year that I won't rip the Bengals for not having Safety depth. B)

What I like,

1. Offensive Line. - Yeah, Levi's sore and Willie's hurting, but both are gamers especially Willie. Kooistra has been decent,Andrews has been a beast and Whitworth is a very solid and consistent player. He could get a pro bowl nod if the offense looks good this year, without some noticeable weapons.

2. Defensive Line. - While I'm not a fan of Justin Smith, John Thornton or Bryan Robinson, I do like the fact that this season we may finally have enough serviceable talent to keep guys fresh. The Run defense should be improved simply because Domato Peko is starting. - Marvin has had 5 years to fix this defense, and in year six, there will finally be a defensive tackle or END drafted in the first round.

3. Special Teams. - Considering that most of the players we insist on bringing in and drafting are meant to play special teams, this unit should continue to excell. The return game should be better, with Skyler Green returning punts.

What I don't like,

1. Line Backer, - This one isn't actually the Front Offices' fault. O'Dell's suspension, Pollack's injury would vastly improve this defense. Landon is an above average linebacker, Caleb Miller is , well he's just a guy on the roster if you ask me. Maybe Marshall improves us I don't know. Ahmad Brooks is an outside linebacker, not an Inside linebacker. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid Cincy might do to Brooks what it did to Francis. All World athlete, best used in moving around. Ahmad Brooks needs to freelance, He's built like a pass rusher, So let him pass rush.

2. Runningback. - Rudi is consistent, he'll get his 1350-1440 yards and 12 touchdowns. But the health of everyone else behind him remains the same concern of 4 years ago.

3. Wide Receiver. - Tab Perry looks lost. Chatman will be cut. Brazell doesn't have the hands to be a consistent threat. Chris Henry's suspension will hurt us. Reggie McNeal was a busted draft pick. Glen Holt and Skyler Green probably make the roster because of their return ability.

Word still out on .....

1. Cornerbacks. - Joseph can cover, Hall will be fine, and Deltha O'Neal when not disgruntled is a pro bowler, Ratliff was supposed to be better player this year, but he's not, and he's not on the field. Who is our 5th Corner?? Herana Daze Jones?? I hope not. What about Brandon Williams ?? Hard to say... T.J. Wright??? looks like a practice squad player to me. Blue Adams should not make this squad.

Excellent write-up.

Here is a thought, and I have suggested it before but your "Brooks to Outside Backer" thought made me think of this again.

Justin Smith to MLB. Big, Fast, runs everywhere, good vision and could be a clear leader in a defense he knows very well. Then move Brooks to WSB and he could dominate....We need the beef up front and we need the high-motor guys to be that second level. Imagine giving Smith a 2 yard headstart on a guard blitzing up the middle, gives me shivers.

Couple of other things. If Breazell could catch, he would be great...Skyler Green will be in the slot more often than not until Henry can come back...Deltha might get cut, he looks gimpy and disinterested...Jeff Rowe's development will make Johnson expendible. I thought that he was a wasted pick but I was wrong. I am very impressed by Rowe's poise, game management and arm. He is our Schaub.

My BIGGEST concern is Levi's health and subsequently Whitworths ability to consistently protect Carson. This issue is the key to the season.

I really like the way the depth on the O line is shaping up. It makes me worry less about the lack of depth at running back. If Rudi goes down, and no one behind him can produce, these days there seem to be servicable backs available through the season. Sign one and plug him in, ala the Brocos. Not that we're the Broncos, but that's not a bad model to follow.

The one person that cannot get hurt is Rudi...Therefore I am most worried about the RB depth..

Second (and perish the thought) is QB....

Personally I'd reverse those choices, but those two positions are definitey 1-2 on the amount of "drop off" behind the starter. There's a sheer freakin' cliff in ability behind Palmer until you plummet down far enough to get to the Bengals #2 QB Dougie Johnson. He makes me long for Jon-boy, and that's hard to do. What I wouldn't give to see the Bengals get a backup like Josh McCown. That boy's got an arm, and knows how to run a pass attack offense as well.