4th Round: Marvin White

ArmyBengal

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MWhite's attitude in the post-pick teleconference reminds me of Odell when he got drafted.

Two quick points: though there may be a need for depth at DL and LB, the Ohalete experience makes me think depth at S is more significant. I don't think a waiver-wire scrub at DT or SSLB would give up as many big plays as a DB could.

Second, this talk of "right person, wrong round" makes me question how much value you guys put in a 4th or 5th round pick. We're not talking about picking a 2nd day guy in the 1st or 2nd round. It reminds me of my friend who drives 10 minutes out of his way to save 10 cents/gallon on gas.

Just how much do you really think we lose by taking a guy half-a-round early on Day 2?

Oh I Can't Hit a Lady? This guy will hit Yo Mama!

I just hope he doesn't confuse that with Who's Yo Mama during practice! SAME TEAM, people, SAME TEAM! :lol:

“My step dad did drugs,” White said. “My mom…she can’t defend herself against a grown man…I had to do what I had to do to protect my mom. That’s the only thing I have.”

That’s who White spent Draft Day with in Port Barre, La., along with the rest of his family. He let Cioffi know he just took the best safety in the draft, and he let the media know it, too.

“Cincinnati got a steal. They got the best safety in the 2007 draft,” he said. “I’m going to show it when I get my chance.”

Oh Yeah! This guy is a keeper.

:bengal:

Some people need to understand that any pick in the 4th round will have holes in his game. If he didn't, he wouldn't be in 4th round.

Last year our D was soft. We're talking brie cheese soft. Not only did it not stop anybody, it never even laid the wood (outside of one accidental hit on a QB who slid too late).

So we get a guy with good physical skills at a position of significant need who can play situationally at least at first and beat the s**t out of people. He's either pretty fast or faster than average at his position, apparantly depending on whether the guy holding the stopwatch is a Blind Homer ©. I wouldn't trust him in centerfield right off if he has trouble reading patterns, but we'll hope he has time to get coached up (pray that Madieu and Dexter stay fairly healthy).

I'm also totally on board with aaronburr, S is not the place you let your depth chart go a little thin. We've had the pleasure of experiencing that. It ain't pretty, folks.

So not a bad pick in the 4th. Doesn't make me cream my jeans, but nothing this late in the draft will. He's a high-risk high-reward type, which is OK. Hope it works out, we need all the help we can get.

Negatives: Size could be a detriment at strong safety, and with his quickness he would be better suited roaming the field at free safety, but lacks the ability to recognize the play in a quick and timely fashion … Exposes himself at times, as his leads tend to be a little long and he has just a marginal feel for routes, making him a liability in man coverage … Needs more than a few reps to retain plays and has struggled academically … Sometimes gets up on his heels before closing on his assignment in man coverage, causing him to be a step behind on his breaks … Good character type … Needs to use his hands more effectively in attempts to press or re-route the receiver … Will bite on play-action and gets a bit reckless in his pursuit when the receiver is able to get past him (needs to open his hips quicker).

Since when does "Good character type" fall into a negative catagory!?! :blink:

Bengals 4th round draft picks under Marvin :

2003 - Jeremi Johnson

2004 - Robert Geathers (Askew doesn`t count :P )

2005 - Eric Ghiaciuc

2006 - Domato Peko

2007 - Marvin White

Man, that's some successful s**t.

People ride Ghiaciuc a lot, but the kid is improving a lot. I'm sure that he's continuing to develop his lower body strength, and as he does he'll be able to anchor much better.

Marvin was type of Safety we needed though,

Someone who will add depth for now but will be given chance devolope in to a starter behind dexter...He does lack coverage skills but hopfully in time it's area he can work on.

Man, that's some successful s**t.

People ride Ghiaciuc a lot, but the kid is improving a lot. I'm sure that he's continuing to develop his lower body strength, and as he does he'll be able to anchor much better.

I really hope he does,hopfully with whitworth next to him we don't have worry about someone blowing through our interior line.

whats up everyone, im new to these boards, decided to branch out from bengals.com...personally, marvin white is my favorite pick. i really like his attitude and his physical demeanor, something our secondary has been lacking. down the road when we have JJ/Leon at corner and MW/MW at safety, we will have one of the most physical secondary in the league.

personally, marvin white is my favorite pick. i really like his attitude and his physical demeanor, something our secondary has been lacking. down the road when we have JJ/Leon at corner and MW/MW at safety, we will have one of the most physical secondary in the league.

Agreed.

This one is pretty questionable. The guy may well be a decent player, but couldn't he have been had in r6 or later?

Right position, wrong player for the round. It helps that he seems to be a high character, high motor guy.

Someone said his speed is "off the charts" - 4.53 is very average for a safety....so I don't understand that comment. He's fast enough, yes, but not "off the charts". Were you reading it as 4.35?

I'll grade this pick a C minus.

Reggie Nelson ran a 4.56 at the combine.

Because if you or anyone is dismissing his White's speed as not that good, thornton is pointing out that a 1st rounder ran basically the same time.

White's speed seems ample to me, from sifting through all the reports...

Reggie Nelson ran a 4.56 at the combine.

I show a 4.48 - http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/...ositions/s.html - but aside from that, I don't know how this comment is relevant?

I think the relevance with the comment is that Nelson and White ran very similar 40 times. If we're putting that much stock in the 40 (which I don't), you'd have to conclude that White isn't a huge step down from a 1st rounder.

Regardless... I love the pick. Not because of his 40 time (although a 4.53 time is pretty damn good for a safety), but because he's a great hitter and brings attitude to the defense.