2nd Round: Kenny Irons

ArmyBengal

The NFL, more and more requires a team to have more than one quality RB (Dunn/Norwood; Jones-Drew/Taylor; Dillon/Maroney; Addai/Rhodes). For the last several years the Bengals have been going to battle with Rudi as the only RB that can really carry the load. It would be nice to have a guy to split carries with, keeping both of them fresh for the entire season... and having Rudi with fresher legs in the 4th quarter with a lead could be devastating to an opposing defense.

Agreed.

I think the most similar offense to the Bengals' in the league resides in New Orleans, and we saw how well the Deuce/Reggie tandem worked for them last season. It's absurd to complain about Rudi Johnson considering his production here , but giving him some help can't hurt.

I agree that Rudi having a guy to help him out isn't a bad thing...but a second rounder is high for that. At this point the Bengals almost have to PUP Perry this year, otherwise they are paying first rounder and second rounder money for back-up RB's. It's hard to bring in free agents to improve a team when you are spending a lot of money on back ups.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on this pick is that

a) I still would have preferred a defender, and I can see several quality defenders remained available at that point, even if Durant was not available.

B) I have recognized all along that we needed a TE and a RB out of this draft, I just wanted them on Day 2 rather than Day 1

c) The Bengals must feel at some level that Irons is more the player he was in 2005 (when he was a phenom) than in 2006. Anyone can healthy and phenomenal in 2005, dinged and average in 2006. Ok, I can put my trust in them on this.

d) Based on his qualities and strengths\weaknesses, it does not appear to me - long term - that he is intended to replace Chris Perry, ie be a 3rd down receiving back. Said another way, what I have seen and read does not indicate he is a significant receiving threat. But I'd say that that his arrival probably does spell the end of Two Carry Perry. I am confident that a combination of Kenny Watson and Tab Perry (from the hback spot) can handle the 3rd down back responsibilities this year, and they will have to cut a running back to make room from Irons. I say that this year, that's Chris. But long term - I think you are looking at the replacement for Rudi, who's running style has gotten him pounded over the years. I like this guy's speed, elusiveness, and fire. I think his weaknesses (strength and blocking) can be worked over the next few years.

e) A lot of the online profiles for this fellow say he is "more quick than fast" or something roughly like that. I check his foot speed, and he's listed as a 4.45 guy. Heh. If he is more quick than fast, he must be greased lighting. 4.45 is plenty fast, and a lot faster than Rudi

f) Does anyone know if the Bengals had a private workout or interview with this guy?

g) I haven't gotten a handle on this guy's character and work ethic. Anyone have any input on that?

Bottom line:

I don't think this was a r2 level need, but it was/is a need, and based on what he did when uninjured (in 2005) this kid looks like a steal. It really comes down to if he can return to form, and pick up the strength and blocking he needs to be successful.

I call this pick a C+ - and that's nothing against this guy, really, it's mostly because the defensive needs were (and still are) greater

I agree that Rudi having a guy to help him out isn't a bad thing...but a second rounder is high for that. At this point the Bengals almost have to PUP Perry this year, otherwise they are paying first rounder and second rounder money for back-up RB's. It's hard to bring in free agents to improve a team when you are spending a lot of money on back ups.

Considering the reports that Perry's recovery isn't going well, I assume the Bengals have intended to PUP him all along. If so, the Bengals aren't restricting themselves to making a decision that has already been made.

Also, if Perry can ever get healthy and stay healthy, having all three of these guys playing together would be something to see. I still think Perry is by far our best third-down type back, and he'll remain in that role if he can.

All I would say is that I agree with your points a - e. However, how that translates into a C+/- grade escapes me.

I think it's a lot like my question with the pick. It's not a C+/- grade for Irons. It's a C+/- for the pick.

That said... I was about ready to concede a pick at the Center position despite having 3 on the roster because of how many of the defenders I liked had been removed from the board in the previous 15 picks... so all in all, I can give it a thumbs up.

All I would say is that I agree with your points a - e. However, how that translates into a C+/- grade escapes me.

I think it's a lot like my question with the pick. It's not a C+/- grade for Irons. It's a C+/- for the pick.

That said... I was about ready to concede a pick at the Center position despite having 3 on the roster because of how many of the defenders I liked had been removed from the board in the previous 15 picks... so all in all, I can give it a thumbs up.

I agree the Bengals are prolly still looking to upgrade the Center position but I believe it will be with a guy like Dan Mozes that can not only play center but all the interior line positions. Hmmm....West Virginia...remind you of someone?

*CougH*Rich Braham*CougH*

All I can say is this: someone (IIRC it was DC but I could be wrong) spoke of Bengals fans being "brainwashed" about offense. On my part, I think they've been brainwashed re: the defense. How they can expect the O to rack up top-10-performance year after year after year without an infusion of either succesful draft picks or good FAs escapes me. Yes, we need to improve the D...but that's more than a 1-year project given the talent that we have. You can't just let the O hang.

And yeah, center was looming large in my sights, too. Maybe there's hope for Wilkerson?

what I have seen and read does not indicate he is a significant receiving threat.

Yeah... I've read that too, but I wonder how to interpret it. Is it possible that Auburn RB's just aren't used in the passing game? I remember Jon Gruden commenting on how good a route runner and pass catcher Cadillac Williams is, and he couldn't believe that Auburn didn't utilize that part of his game.

I in no way am saying that Irons is going to be a great pass-catching RB. At least, that's not why he was drafted... because it is at the very least an unknown - but I think Rudi is an underrated receiver as a RB, and I'm willing to bet that Irons very well might develop into a perfectly cromulent pass catcher. But I agree, he's not being drafted to replace Chris Perry's role... but I'll be he'll replace Chris Perry's roster spot.

I love the fact that we are debating not whether Irons is a worthy second round pick, but simply whether we should have taken him or a different position. Here in the land of the black and urine, the t.v. shows have numerous local sports media types crying over both the first and third pick of theirs. I've heard repeated fears that they are "morphing into more of a finesse team" by selecting the likes of Timmons as a very undersized, slower end. And they talk about the same on the o-line side in terms of "getting smaller".

Trust me guys, our Bengals are moving forward just fine. And I love to hear the whining in Pissburgh.

I love the fact that we are debating not whether Irons is a worthy second round pick, but simply whether we should have taken him or a different position. Here in the land of the black and urine, the t.v. shows have numerous local sports media types crying over both the first and third pick of theirs. I've heard repeated fears that they are "morphing into more of a finesse team" by selecting the likes of Timmons as a very undersized, slower end. And they talk about the same on the o-line side in terms of "getting smaller".

Trust me guys, our Bengals are moving forward just fine. And I love to hear the whining in Pissburgh.

In fairness to the whining of the Steeler fans... those were a couple of reaches. I'm betting there would have been similar complaining by Bengals fans if they had selected at #15 a guy projected to go early 2nd round, and a guy in the 3rd projected by many to go late 4th early 5th.

Nope... this is just evidence of the Bengals taking the BPA. Not too much question about that for either of these picks, just a debate about whether the philosophy worked out today.

And I love to hear the whining in Pissburgh.

Whining in Pitt is always good. I tried to go to stillers.com earlier to see what they thought about the Timmons pick but the site was dead...:lol:

Really? Man... those guys are fair-weather. I hear a lot of people say they are the worlds most over-rated fans. They are spoiled because they have had a winning franchise for many years... but when they have down years, all the fans disappear.

I work with a big Steeler fan and tried talking to him about the draft the other day, and he basically blew me off because he wanted to talk about the Penguins. How could a fan of the NFL blow off the draft? Oh well... not the place for this discussion I suppose.

Some interesting aspects of this -

Since Irons is from Auburn, Rudi seems to be taking it as a reinforcement rather than as competion. Never hurts to avoid locker room problems. Also may help keep Irons from bad influences.

In a way this pick is a lot like last years 2nd rounder - Insurance pick rather than BPA. Whitworth wasnt a need at the time, but it sure looks smart now. The Chris Perry Pick too was Insurance that Rudi would be a one year wonder, or leave in free agency. His injury history has been unfortunate, but you cant know that at the time. He had had no injury history at the time.

Hopefully with Whitworth on the line and a new running back, the Bengals will run the ball more consistently. Sometimes I think the Bengals got too cute with all the flashy offensive toys last year.

At first, i was disappointed with the pick. I wanted a defensive player like Crowder

or Rufus Alexander, but that did not happen. I also had Pittman higher than Irons.

However, when Irons was healthy he was a threat to go the distance on each carry

and likely would have went in Round 1 (barring injuries).

Let's consider this as a cirteria when assessing a pick:

"Does ________ do the Team well to step up for ________ who has just been sidelined with serious injury?"

If I insert "Irons" and "Johnson" into that equation, I feel better than I did than before the draft.

I wouldn't use that argument because a person could say:

"Does Brady Quinn do the Team well to step up for Carson Palmer who has just been sidelined with serious injury?"

Brady was available for the Bengals first round pick....

Ok, here goes...F Quinn, especially since he is now in the division.

Scarey thought with Quinn throwing to Edwards, Jurivicious, and Winslow. If Jamal Lewis can give them one good year so they can draft a great RB next year to go with the improved line...they could be dangerous. Imagine that group of skill players with a guy like Steve Slaton, Ray Rice, or Darren McFadden.

:o:o

This is if their studs can even stay on the field.

Irons is def. a risk I just hope he pans out. He is gonna have a good battle with Kenny Watson for the #2 spot
A battle in the same sense that Tiananmen Square was fair fight. In other words... it'sa foregone conclusion. Irons is the #2 RB.

Anyway... they shouldn't be competing for the same role. Watson is a 3rd down back whose primary strength is catching passes. Irons is a traditional RB. Watson will still play as a Special Teamer, and a 3rd down back. Irons will get carries, Rudi will get carries. Perry will be on the IR. You know... the usual.

Exactly like the one they have? Irons is not another Rudi.

He is another Kenny Watson.

No, he is not. Either you are completely ignorant about Watson or K. Irons or both. In any event, you're ignorant.

n fairness to the whining of the Steeler fans... those were a couple of reaches. I'm betting there would have been similar complaining by Bengals fans if they had selected at #15 a guy projected to go early 2nd round, and a guy in the 3rd projected by many to go late 4th early 5th.

Most bengal fans seem to have wanted timmons if willis was gone :P

Kenny Irons is a terrific pick. This selection was an ideal combination of value and need. I think the team should be congratulated for not simply reaching out to take the next available defensive player. With Woodley, Durant, Harris and Zach Miller already having been selected, and no Safety worth taking at #49, Irons was an outstanding pick. The guy is tough, quick and very explosive-imagine that, the Bengals now have an RB that is a true threat to go the distance every time he carries the ball. Irons can contribute immediately AND be a difference maker from day 1. Outstanding!

what I have seen and read does not indicate he is a significant receiving threat.

Yeah... I've read that too, but I wonder how to interpret it. Is it possible that Auburn RB's just aren't used in the passing game? I remember Jon Gruden commenting on how good a route runner and pass catcher Cadillac Williams is, and he couldn't believe that Auburn didn't utilize that part of his game.

I in no way am saying that Irons is going to be a great pass-catching RB. At least, that's not why he was drafted... because it is at the very least an unknown - but I think Rudi is an underrated receiver as a RB, and I'm willing to bet that Irons very well might develop into a perfectly cromulent pass catcher. But I agree, he's not being drafted to replace Chris Perry's role... but I'll be he'll replace Chris Perry's roster spot.

derek, I mentioned it earlier in this thread and will repeat it...Auburn does not do a good job at using their backs out of the backfield in the passing game. At all. It's a scheme/philosophy thing. He will be fine in that role. Mark it. In addition to helping shoulder the carries.

Still love this pick. Love it.

Yes, I said it was a panic move and I now totally admit I was wrong.

I thought I guy like Garret Wolfe would have been there in the later rounds and I thought a better selection would have been Kalil or Patrick from Delaware but the way the draft fell out from our pick on would have left us with no good #2 RB options with Wolfe, Jackson, Henry, Booker, and Hunt all going Rd.2 or 3. Bush is still there but he does not fit the Bengals need. So again I cry Mea Culpa! on the 2nd round pick