Bengals vs Colts Game thread

Kazkal

The offense had a chance to make some statements and didn't. Settling for field goals in the red zone instead of scoring touchdowns is one of them. I really think the gameplans on both sides of the ball were terrible.

Oh, no doubt they ought to have gone for it, esp. the first time. But I don't have a problem with the offensive game plan, it was the execution, particularly the poor passing completion % that was the issue.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The offense had a chance to make some statements and didn't. Settling for field goals in the red zone instead of scoring touchdowns is one of them. I really think the gameplans on both sides of the ball were terrible.

Oh, no doubt they ought to have gone for it, esp. the first time. But I don't have a problem with the offensive game plan, it was the execution, particularly the poor passing completion % that was the issue.

I have a little problem with the offensive game plan. It didn't suit the style of play that best fits the Bengals. They didn't attack the Colts safeties, who are 4th and 5th string. Rudi is not the type of runner that gashes a defense for big gains. Not only that, but they ran alot of counters, and sweeps, which plays into the hands of a fast defense. The Bengals running game has been struggling for most of the season with Rudi only averaging 3.8 yards a carry. If the were to run they should have spread the Colts out and then ran the football. That is how the Bengals gash defenses in the run game. They get no push up the middle from Ghiaciuc and Steinbach missed a lot of blocks while pulling.

But I agree with you on the D, that gameplan was brutal.

Well when you start three back-up O-linemen, that is going to affect your runninggame as much as pass protection. Yet the Bengals didn't try and take advantage of the Back-up safties the Colts had in the game...WAIT! The Bengals don't have a decent pass catching TE to take advantage of situations like that. :rolleyes:

Steve Young deservedly just tore us a new one on our defensive scheme.

"The only time we have seen teams beat Peyton Manning is when they put pressure on him... So why are the Bengals playing soft cover 2?

Damn maybe I should get a gig as a TV analyst since I have been saying that same thing all night. :lol:

Steve Young deservedly just tore us a new one on our defensive scheme.

"The only time we have seen teams beat Peyton Manning is when they put pressure on him... So why are the Bengals playing soft cover 2?

When will they learn about the soft defense, Atlanta, SD and INDY have all gashed the soft zone defense the Bengals have played. The NO gashed us as well, but at least Drew Brees had 3 brain cramps in that game.

Throw that D out the window.

Be glad the Bengals ran the ball as much as they did or the score would've been much worse. Whitworth got schooled by Freeny and Stacy the Giant flat out blew in pass protection. But when Palmer did have time he threw the same kind of crap balls that he threw when the Bengals were lighting up the scoreboard with 13 points a game. The passing game stank courtesy of no line blocking off the edges and another garbage game by Palmer.

Course if the defense had done something, it might've been more like the Panthers game but between all the dumps to the RBs, the TE in the 1st half and the quick slants and deeper stops -- especially on James -- the Bengals had no chance. There was way to much open field over the middle and I believe a lot of this loss had to with playing Simmons instead of Miller. Simmons was horrible in coverage. Plus they should've manned up at brought 8 in the box the whole game. Couldn't have been worse.

I have a little problem with the offensive game plan. It didn't suit the style of play that best fits the Bengals. They didn't attack the Colts safeties, who are 4th and 5th string.

Well, IIRC it was one of those 800th-string safeties who knocked away a pass in the end zone, so clearly they came to play. Certainly, the Bengals o-line thinks they can run the ball. Remember Willie's comments earlier in the season concerned the supposed lack of faith by the coaching staff in them doing just that? And once Big Willie went out, and the way Whitworth was getting schooled...well, as I asked earlier, anyone have a better answer? How do you pass when the line can't protect the QB?

Be glad the Bengals ran the ball as much as they did or the score would've been much worse. Whitworth got schooled by Freeny and Stacy the Giant flat out blew in pass protection. But when Palmer did have time he threw the same kind of crap balls that he threw when the Bengals were lighting up the scoreboard with 13 points a game. The passing game stank courtesy of no line blocking off the edges and another garbage game by Palmer.

Course if the defense had done something, it might've been more like the Panthers game but between all the dumps to the RBs, the TE in the 1st half and the quick slants and deeper stops -- especially on James -- the Bengals had no chance. There was way to much open field over the middle and I believe a lot of this loss had to with playing Simmons instead of Miller. Simmons was horrible in coverage. Plus they should've manned up at brought 8 in the box the whole game. Couldn't have been worse.

Seconded.

Freeny did own Whitworth, that is the reason scouts said he may not be a LT in the pros, he is too slow. But the Bengals missed Perry in this game. They would have been able to counter act the upfield push by Freeny and Mathis with some draws and delayed handoffs, but Rudi is too slow and runs into the back of his linemen far too often. Perry may have busted some huge gains with the holes Freeny and Mathis leave. That would slow down their pass rush and give Carson some time.

Yeah, I think tonight it was revealed the Stacy project has failed

At tackle? Yeah. At guard he's OK. Where was Koo???????

He had a bad game, but I don't think the project is necessarily "failed." He has very little playing experience, and he was lined up against Robert Mathis. Given more time, I think he'll develop into a solid backup. I did want to see Kooistra though.

Freeny did own Whitworth, that is the reason scouts said he may not be a LT in the pros, he is too slow. But the Bengals missed Perry in this game. They would have been able to counter act the upfield push by Freeny and Mathis with some draws and delayed handoffs, but Rudi is too slow and runs into the back of his linemen far too often. Perry may have busted some huge gains with the holes Freeny and Mathis leave. That would slow down their pass rush and give Carson some time.

Perry wouldn't have hurt. He's best suited as a 2 minute RB or one where the O is down by 2 scores and up against a prevent. But we've all seen Perry in action and I just don't recall him getting over 40 yards on a screen the way Watson did...except of course when there was a hold. Watson is good enough for the position and a better blitz blocker. But it doesn't matter who's blitz blocking with screen doors as book ends and a QB who runs right into a sack and coughs it up. Chris Perry wouldn't have made any difference IMO. Not sure how the WRs were running routes but they couldn't have been doing too well. Still, way too many crap throws by Palmer when they were open. He looked like absolute garbage again.

Perry wouldn't have hurt. He's best suited as a 2 minute RB or one where the O is down by 2 scores and up against a prevent. But we've all seen Perry in action and I just don't recall him getting over 40 yards on a screen the way Watson did...except of course when there was a hold. Watson is good enough for the position and a better blitz blocker. But it doesn't matter who's blitz blocking with screen doors as book ends and a QB who runs right into a sack and coughs it up. Chris Perry wouldn't have made any difference IMO. Not sure how the WRs were running routes but they couldn't have been doing too well. Still, way too many crap throws by Palmer when they were open. He looked like absolute garbage again.

Damn, tell us how bad Carson really played. That has always been the book on CP, get pressure in his face or at his blindside and he will rush throws and be fairly inaccurate. I like Watson, they should have had him in there running draws and delays, anything to counter act the hard rushes on the outside and the spin moves to the inside of Freeney. Levi owned Freeney last year and Mathis was shut down as well, it goes to show you how important the tackle position is.

Damn, tell us how bad Carson really played. That has always been the book on CP, get pressure in his face or at his blindside and he will rush throws and be fairly inaccurate.

Well, that tends to be the book on any pocket-style QB. One big post-game complaint is that the bengals D never challenged Manning (which is true). Palmer wasnt good but let's face it, his o-line collapsed on the edges. You are right that Brat needed to adjust. More quick dumps, more Watson, anything. The three and five step drops were asking for it...and they got it.

Yeah it's all this and that right now because the Bengals laid an egg tonight. Palmer is definitely a time dependent pocket passer and he sorely missed missed Levi tonight. The Bengals still get a chance to redeem themselves vs. the Donkeys but it's real hard to believe after tonight that they're more than 1 and done if they get to the playoffs (unless they play the Ratbirds 1st). :D

it's real hard to believe after tonight that they're more than 1 and done if they get to the playoffs

Playoffs? You kidding me? Don't talk about playoffs!

:lmao:

Come on now Cat. :D The Bengals are still the 2nd wildcard right now and as much as I think Jay Cutler will be the next Brett Favre, he's not that yet. After the beating the Bengals defense took tonight, next week should seem a whole lot easier -- especially with less B Simmons and Tory James. They'll need to clog the middle too against a quick hitter like Tatum Bell, which means get the goldang beef back in there Shaun Smith style and quit playing a lightweight like Fanene, who got absolutely tooled on the 40 yard Addai run.

Course Brez will need help getting his head pulled out of his a$$ before then. :wacko: And so it goes.

I disagree that the problem was the focus on the run. The run was working fine. And for most of the game it was never so far out of reach that we needed to abandon it. Isn't it a constant source of bitching around here that they are are too quick to give up on he run?

The problem was that the defense could not get off their field. The defensive scheme the Bengals chose invited the Colts to use a short passing game, and chew up time, which they did excellently.

DING!!!!!!

Fold into the mix a misfiring Bengal offense that couldn't execute due to the latest round of offensive line woes and you've got the makings of a blowout.

The Bengals running game has been struggling for most of the season with Rudi only averaging 3.8 yards a carry. If the were to run they should have spread the Colts out and then ran the football. That is how the Bengals gash defenses in the run game. They get no push up the middle from Ghiaciuc and Steinbach missed a lot of blocks while pulling.

Rudi is the same back this season as the one who put up back to back 1400 yard seasons. The difference is in the play of the offensive line. Remember, we were all complaining about the O-Line play in the Kansas City game...which was before nearly everyone seemed to go down with an injury.

Frankly, the O-line play has been poor most of the season and even when the play improved of late the margin of error is just too slim to compensate for the loss of BOTH starting offensive tackles, the starting Center, and the once shocking but now routinely poor play of Eric Steinbach. (He was on the ground so much tonight that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's grown roots.) All things considered it's pretty remarkable that Rudi or Carson has produced at the level they have this season.

And for those of you screaming for a fast cutback style runner...don't confuse the issue. Rudi isn't the problem. He's reliable, durable, rarely fumbles, and produces at a high level if used properly. Chris Perry being constantly unavailable is the problem. He's hurt so often that he doesn't even provide depth that can be counted on, let alone the type of change of pace style RB that could have put intense pressure on the Colts tonight.

Damn, tell us how bad Carson really played. That has always been the book on CP, get pressure in his face or at his blindside and he will rush throws and be fairly inaccurate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the book on every QB that has ever played. More importantly, the book also says that if your QB routinely has his arm nearly chopped off by Jackie Chan or a large pass rusher the ball is going to hit the ground.

Let's put down our books for a moment. Does anyone want to argue the point that the Bengals did a miserable job of protecting Palmer tonight, as well as most games played this season?

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the book on every QB that has ever played. More importantly, the book also says that if your QB routinely has his arm nearly chopped off by Jackie Chan or a large pass rusher the ball is going to hit the ground.

Let's put down our books for a moment. Does anyone want to argue the point that the Bengals did a miserable job of protecting Palmer tonight, as well as most games played this season?

I've also noticed that the book on Rudi is to gang tackle him before he reaches the line of scrimmage. He almost never gets any yards if you do that to him. What a loser.