Bengals vs Colts Game thread

Kazkal

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And then, what's the reason we haven't done that? Have the LB's bitten on the play-action fake? Are the corners not good enough, and they need help from the LB's? We haven't been beaten deep (well, maybe once)...

Well, that's the good part of the strategy. But no, I wouldn't say the LBs have been bitten, it's that they see Manning with the ball and immediately turn their backs and run deep. Which leaves the middle of the field wide open. The Colts just took what the Bengals gave them...all night long.

They also didn't blitz much, Manning had all day most of the time.

I would rather they did what they did last year and offer Manning chances deep while stopping the run and the short pass. Worst case they score faster and we get more posessions. They bought the worst of both worlds tonight.

This game shows you why the Bengals need a fast number 2 running back. They need someone that can take it to the house at any time and a good cut back runner. The Colts can stop straight ahead Rudi, especially when they run counters and sweeps into the fast Colts defense.

What kills the Colts is draws, delay handoffs and cutback runs. Rudi missed alot of big gains tonight. The Bengals fatal flaw in their running game plan is if Rudi gets to the second level, he normally doesn't make people miss. They didn't attack the Colts through the air and that's what the Bengals do the best.

It goes to show you, the NFL has alot to do with schematics, and coaching. You can have talent, but you have to put that talent in the best position to succeed.

I would add to that, that Kenny Watson is the Bengal's leading reciever for the game...that should say it all.

The other guys not getting open at all? Dropped passes? General lethargy?

I seriously hope that the Bengals have learned their lesson, DONT listen to the media, they are a bunch of morons who flip/flop what they say daily....you bought into the "Hype" of the Colts terrible rushing Defense, and the game last week vs. the Jags. You guys should know better than anyone(considering the SD game)

That $hit like that can motivate

I would add to that, that Kenny Watson is the Bengal's leading reciever for the game...that should say it all.

Running the ball too much, Carson not getting enough protection, and recievers just seem out of sync.

Running the ball too much, Carson not getting enough protection, and recievers just seem out of sync.

I really think the receivers were out of sync, because the Bengals were running the ball so much. It's almost like you get amped up for a game, and then you just come out and run,run,run which is not your teams personality. It made the whole team flat. This is a quick strike, fast paced offense. They slowed down in this game and it backfired.

This game proved to me that our defense has really not improved that much, if at all. We took advantages of some very weak offenses. Its still our glaring weakness, and even if we do make the playoffs, which we probably will in my mind, it is not good enough to make a run to the Super Bowl. No Way.

I think this game is one that should put to rest this garbage about running the ball X times, etc. As a football team, you are how you are put together. Run first is simply not the way the Bengals are designed. That may or may not be a problem, and is arguable ... but to want this team to become who it isn't just produces what you saw tonight. They need to win or lose the way they are put together.

I disagree that the problem was the focus on the run. The run was working fine. And for most of the game it was never so far out of reach that we needed to abandon it. Isn't it a constant source of bitching around here that they are are too quick to give up on he run?

The problem was that the defense could not get off their field. The defensive scheme the Bengals chose invited the Colts to use a short passing game, and chew up time, which they did excellently.

This is two straight years that we've allowed the Colts to dictate to us. We were silly and went away from our strength last year by trying to stop Edgerrin James rather than key in on Manning and get turnovers. We all know how that turned out.

This year, again.... we let them dictate to us by trying to go away from our strength and running the ball rather than scoring on the arm of Carson Palmer. Interesting how it works when you go away from your own strengths.

This year, again.... we let them dictate to us by trying to go away from our strength and running the ball rather than scoring on the arm of Carson Palmer. Interesting how it works when you go away from your own strengths.

Carson throw the ball 28 times. Rudi ran it 22. How did we get away from the pass? Maybe the fact we only completed 50% of the passes had something to do with it?

We lost this game on defense, not offense.

I disagree that the problem was the focus on the run. The run was working fine. And for most of the game it was never so far out of reach that we needed to abandon it. Isn't it a constant source of bitching around here that they are are too quick to give up on he run?

The problem was that the defense could not get off their field. The defensive scheme the Bengals chose invited the Colts to use a short passing game, and chew up time, which they did excellently.

Too many third down completions. I have to question the logic of leaving the RB's open in the middle of the field. Hell even Manning rambled for a first down on a 3rd and 9. I know they wanted to prevent the long TD but an adjustment needed to be made and it never happened.

You can't trade FG's for TDs with this team just like last year. What happened to Willie anyway? Andrews was a swinging gate.

Time to regroup and go beat Denver. They have worked too hard to get back into.

Too many third down completions. I have to question the logic of leaving the RB's open in the middle of the field. Hell even Manning rambled for a first down on a 3rd and 9. I know they wanted to prevent the long TD but an adjustment needed to be made and it never happened.

You can't trade FG's for TDs with this team just like last year. What happened to Willie anyway? Andrews was a swinging gate.

Time to regroup and go beat Denver. They have worked too hard to get back into.

Glad someone seemed to watch the same game I did. :sure:

Carson throw the ball 28 times. Rudi ran it 22. How did we get away from the pass? Maybe the fact we only completed 50% of the passes had something to do with it?

We lost this game on defense, not offense.

The offense had a chance to make some statements and didn't. Settling for field goals in the red zone instead of scoring touchdowns is one of them. I really think the gameplans on both sides of the ball were terrible.

We lost for too many reasons to count tonight, but I'd most attribute it to these things:

1. Stupid defensive gameplan (second year in a row against the Colts).

2. Whitworth/Andrews/Palmer - No time to throw, too many fumbles.

3. Circumstance - This game was the Colts' to win, and they did.