Reality check

Army, question, what did you think of the hit KK gave Caldwell? He lit him up. But was that an actual penalty? Do you expect a fine?

I have now seen it a couple of times. Every time I have seen it I get more fired up.....

Personally, I loved the hit and think there is a bit of violence to the game that I love !!! Seriously though about the validity of the hit, it was mentioned before about other hits (like the one on Chad) not getting fined or flagged and think there is great disparity on the part of the officiating crew as to what condones a flag and or fine. I don't think that play with KK was a malicious hit, but more of one that couldn't have been avoided and he was trying to make a play on the receiver. That being said, he will probably get a huge fine !!!

Regardless of how much I personally enjoyed the hit he put on that dude, I still dislike KK greatly !!!

WHODEY !!!

If he gets fined, there is no justice in the world.

I cannot comprehend how the umps can throw a flag on that play, where the ball is actually in his hands, as compared to the Chad play, where he got lit up. To me, it is more than obvious. I must ask though, am I being a homer on this issue? Am I seeing things that I shouldn't see?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about being a homer or not... I'll just say, I liked the hit KK put on that dude and I thought the hit on Chad the week before was ok in my book as well... I think there is a difference in being malicious and trying to make a play at uncontrollable speeds regardless of which team we are talking about.

WHODEY !!!

I don't know about being a homer or not... I'll just say, I liked the hit KK put on that dude and I thought the hit on Chad the week before was ok in my book as well... I think there is a difference in being malicious and trying to make a play at uncontrollable speeds regardless of which team we are talking about.

WHODEY !!!

Pats fan here. As far as the hit, it was a penalty. A DB can't hit a WR in the head like that. Guys will get paralyzed from that. It was a very dangerous hit, too high. Some of the Pats db's have done that recently too and gotten away with it, but I don't like it. Ever heard of Daryl Stingley?

As far as the game, I wouldn't get too down. It wasn't as bad a blowout as the score indicated, it was more like a 10 point game, and it was in doubt until late 3rd-early 4th qtr.

The Patriots had a big emotional advantage coming into this game. They got smoked, and the Bengals won a huge emotional road game. The Bengals are still maturing and learning how to be a winner, it takes time. I could see this one coming all week, even though your passing game had me worried for sure.

Also, the Patriots have one of the best DL's in the game, as well as one of the best OL's. They are solid and are looking at a 13-3 type of year. They expect to win the SB this year. You didn't lose to the Texans.

WHODEY !!!

Pats fan here. As far as the hit, it was a penalty. A DB can't hit a WR in the head like that. Guys will get paralyzed from that. It was a very dangerous hit, too high. Some of the Pats db's have done that recently too and gotten away with it, but I don't like it. Ever heard of Daryl Stingley?

As far as the game, I wouldn't get too down. It wasn't as bad a blowout as the score indicated, it was more like a 10 point game, and it was in doubt until late 3rd-early 4th qtr.

The Patriots had a big emotional advantage coming into this game. They got smoked, and the Bengals won a huge emotional road game. The Bengals are still maturing and learning how to be a winner, it takes time. I could see this one coming all week, even though your passing game had me worried for sure.

Also, the Patriots have one of the best DL's in the game, as well as one of the best OL's. They are solid and are looking at a 13-3 type of year. They expect to win the SB this year. You didn't lose to the Texans.

First, welcome to the board !!! Always nice to have some other insight from the opposition...

While I understand DB's can't hit a WR in the head and yes it is dangerous as all hell, I think there has to be some clear guidance as to when a DB (Any DB, not just ours) is going in to make a play and is at full speed. Looking at that play, the WR had to go down to get the ball that was thrown low by Brady (leading him into the hit) and KK was coming in to make the play. Had the ball been thrown better, the hit would not have been as vicious as it appeared. Not dismissing any malicious play by any player, but to fine the player in this instance would be incorrect, unless they were going to fine Brady as well for throwing a low ball...

WHODEY !!!

ats fan here. As far as the hit, it was a penalty. A DB can't hit a WR in the head like that. Guys will get paralyzed from that. It was a very dangerous hit, too high. Some of the Pats db's have done that recently too and gotten away with it, but I don't like it. Ever heard of Daryl Stingley?

Tell that to chad.

Haven't read all the other posts in this thread so sorry if there's some repitition, I just need to vent anger/frustration.

1. O line not offering enough protection - 4 sacks allowed

2. D line not able to make a single sack

3. D giving up big plays - Maroney 40+yds, Watson 35yds, Gabriel 25yds, Brady 20+yds, others 18,15,15,14, etc

4. Allowing 5.8yds (average) per rush

5. Only 2 of the 11 3rd down conversion attempts were successful

6. 18 penalties against

7. 1 game behind Baltimore

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

There, I feel better now. Thanks for the opportunity of some therapy.

Classic let down game. Seems to me the players did the same thing we boardmembers did, relished that Pitt game just a little too much. Going out and partying like we won something. We got a bye week to figure things out.

Defensively, we are banged up. Third string LB starting(Miller) DJax out. No pressure on the ball(the lack of pass ruch is KILLING me), and we REALLY miss Braham calling the protection

We're still 3-1 B)

I couldnt agree more!!!!!!

Reality check indeed. Worst loss ever under Marvin Lewis?

As bad as this was, it wasnt as bad as the 03 loss at home to the Clowns week 17 when we still could have won the division at the time.

Though if you are talking in terms of just getting manhandled, I'd say yeah.

No, you're right. We got manhandled in that game to the tune of 178 yards and 2 TDs by LEE SUGGS!!!!! I got to go to the game as my xmas present from my wife that year. It literally took me weeks to stop feeling pissed afterwards.

The Pats followed the Steelers game plan from last week. They harrassed Palmer and ran the ball down your throats with 2 HUGE differences. They have a healthy QB (and a better one, there is only one Tom Brady in the clutch), and they did not beat themselves with turnovers.

I hate the Ravens but they are going to give you guys fits if you let Jamal put up 150.

Tell that to Chad.

Yeah I've heard of Daryl Stingley and I've heard of Jack Tatum, Thom Darden, Ronnie Lott or Mel Blount? The NFL sells video tapes with their brand of football on it. They call it agressive but I call it borderline cheap and dirty. But these guys are "gridiron heroes". So the league talks out of both sides of their mouth.

The hit Chris Henry took against the Steelers last week was pretty brutal too. I can see no difference between the three hits. But they have to be called the same way. You are not suppossed to lead with your helmet and you cannot "launch" yourself into a defenseless receiver. But it appeared that it happened in all three cases. In fact the hit that Madeiu Williams had early in the game was worse than KK's.

I also wonder what impact the Trent Green thing had with this ref?

Reality check indeed. Worst loss ever under Marvin Lewis?

I'd say no. But it is close. Losing to the Patriots is nothing to be ashamed of. The opening game against Denver a few years back was bad. There was a game against Tennessee that wasn't too good in 2004. I seem to remember a pretty bad game against the Steelers a couple of years ago, the Browns game mentioned above and the Buffalo/Christmas Eve game last year.

However, I felt that the effort and energy were severely lacking in all three phases at several points during the game yesterday.

What was KK supposed to do? Pat him on the back and say "tag, you're it?" - and let him catch it?

This is FOOTBALL folks - KK turned and went in with his shoulder - he did NOT go head first! It was a bad call.

Some times - guys get laid out when they are put in that position, it happens, it's football. It's happened for decades.

Maybe Wr's should just wear flags now and Db's can tear em off?

What was KK supposed to do? Pat him on the back and say "tag, you're it?" - and let him catch it?

This is FOOTBALL folks - KK turned and went in with his shoulder - he did NOT go head first! It was a bad call.

Some times - guys get laid out when they are put in that position, it happens, it's football. It's happened for decades.

Maybe Wr's should just wear flags now and Db's can tear em off?

There wasn't really anything KK could've done different, it was a bad call. KK was playing over the top in perfect position, Brady lead his reciever a little too much so he was running full speed and KK met him at the ball. Didn't make head to head contact or a "blow to the head".

As far as the topic, NO, we're not as powerful as some of you have been saying. Our LB's are playing like crap, except Simmons. Anyone who said losing Odell will not hurt this team is WRONG, including Marvin. Losing him was like losing Palmer on the Offense. Our Offensive line should be ashamed of their play, even with steiny out. The whole line looked great at the beginning of the game, but shortly started to fall apart. They better get it together or it's going to be a looooooooooong season. If our offense can't start to shoot it out, we'll be lucky if we go 9-7, b/c this defense will be one of the worst in the league.

They have a healthy QB (and a better one, there is only one Tom Brady in the clutch), and they did not beat themselves with turnovers.

People can say all they want about how "clutch" brady is, but id take at least 5 qbs over him.

Brady is a hoax...Highly overrated....And I thought that before yesterday....

I don't see that. Brady is THE best pocket QB in the NFL. As long as he has a pocket, he's going to pick the defense apart. Yesterday he had a pocket the size of the superdome. I said it last week he was going to pick our defense apart all day so the offense better bring their game. I've also said it several times, the Pats are one of the top 5 teams in the league.

I don't see that. Brady is THE best pocket QB in the NFL. As long as he has a pocket, he's going to pick the defense apart. Yesterday he had a pocket the size of the superdome. I said it last week he was going to pick our defense apart all day so the offense better bring their game. I've also said it several times, the Pats are one of the top 5 teams in the league.

Come on man, do you honestly think Brady is a better passer than Peyton Manning?

You said it yourself, he had a massive pocket yesterday, and still only threw for 190 yards, 58% completion, and threw a pick.

You can't really compare the two, they're completley opposite. Do you think Peyton would be as successful as Brady with the WR's Brady has? Brady is the best pocket passer in the NFL. Peyton is the Smartest and is deadly accurate. On a scale of 1-3 it'd probably be Peyton, Brady, Palmer. Brady's been doing this for awhile and he's very good at what he does. New England wouldn't be in the playoffs year after year after year without Brady....

Brady gets it done and wins games, its not about the numbers with him! lol, it was a tipped ball, can't really consider that his fault.

I will never understand why people say Brady is better than Manning. Manning has consistently shown he can put up great stats. Last year, he handed off more, and ended up with a nearly perfect record, thereby showing he can play Brady's game just as well as Brady can. Brady has never been known as a stats guy, but last year was probably his best statistical season, throwing for 4000 yards, however, he got owned by the Broncos in the playoffs along with a bad 10-6 regular season record, and showed that he can't play Manning's game successfully. The only reason Brady has more rings is that in the playoffs, Peyton's whole team puts everything on his shoulders, whereas Brady's team continues to play as a team.

Although, Manning does have 2 rushing touchdowns the past 2 games, so I guess you could call him a scrambler. :lmao: