Big Willie extended through 2011 - Merged

bengal4life

You know, I love Willie. I'm happy he was able to get this deal.

But is nobody else worried about how his body is going to hold up? It seemed like he was having to duct tape himself together to grind out the games last season...

Like I said, think of this as the Anderson/Whitworth version of the Webb/Jones deal. Just as Richmond's presence meant we could bring Levi along slowly, so Anderson's extension means that there's no need to rush Whitworth into the mix. I would not be surpprised to see them platooning before the years' end. Which puts less strain on Willie and means we can extend his career.

Personally, I would have gone for Eric first but I don't see much downside to this.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone mentioned Stacy Andrews possibly being able to replace Steiny since everyone thinks Whitworth is sticking to RT. I mean he's massive and fairly athletic. I think the Andrews project may be close to complete after this season.

I think everyone gets to caught up in players that have been around compared to players who are young without much experience. In a recent Playboy they had an NFL section and they asked TJ Houshmazoid, what would be the most surprising thing about the NFL that the average person doesn't know? He said, "that 80% of the players in this league would succeed if given the opportunity." s**t, Stacey's brother Shawn is turning into a dominant guard, Stacey is supposedly even better physically, and he's been getting coached in the NFL for a couple years now. I think he'd do more than fine if Steiny has to go. You can't give Steiny close to tackle money after paying both of our real tackles top money in the league.

I love Braham, way underrated, but I think Wilkerson or Ghiaciuc will be more than capable to supplant him next year. Not a worry in my mind.

***I think they signed Willie instead of Steiny first (besides willie being very good) because he is the bengal with tenure, he's stuck through thick and thin, and it gives legitimacy to the Bengals organization. It has a ton to do with image as well as football. If you play your ass off, are consistent and loyal, a good locker room leader, and don't ask for a ridiculous contract then we will take care of you. The NFL is a business, but if Willie was let go, then the others player would seriously wonder how in the hell we could not give respect to a top tackle who has never said a bad thing about the bengals or had off the field issues. What would the other players have to do if Willie can't even get his due, be f**king football playing angels sent from heaven directly to Cincy? I'm going overboard, but I do really believe that.

Like I said, think of this as the Anderson/Whitworth version of the Webb/Jones deal. Just as Richmond's presence meant we could bring Levi along slowly, so Anderson's extension means that there's no need to rush Whitworth into the mix. I would not be surpprised to see them platooning before the years' end. Which puts less strain on Willie and means we can extend his career.

I doubt Willie would have gone for that, honestly. He believes (and I have no reason to doubt him) that he has a good 3-4 years left in him. Unless injury plays a factor (and I'm talking Willie goes down for a bunch of games injury) Whitworth will NOT be an offensive tackle on this team.

I wonder if that's because the coaches didn't think he could... we signed both our tackles for a very long time (in NFL terms) AFTER signing and seeing Whitworth. Makes me think Whitworth won't be a tackle... at ALL.

ON the roster at Bengals.com Whitworth is listed as a Guard (not G/T). He's not even listed AT ALL on the depth chart as a tackle. Doesn't seem to me they are preparing him as a tackle.

ACTUALLY Whitworth is listed as Steinbach’s backup… HUMMMMMMM

Eh, what do I know. I'm just stoked we're getting ready for our Super Bowl season.

Has anyone mentioned Stacy Andrews possibly being able to replace Steiny since everyone thinks Whitworth is sticking to RT. I mean he's massive and fairly athletic. I think the Andrews project may be close to complete after this season.

I think he's also being groomed as an eventual Willie replacement. Whitworth might be competition for him, but with his versatility, I'd imagine him as a Steinbach replacement. I don't think Andrews would be as successful at guard... He's a beast, but I'm not sure he's as athletic as Steiny or Whitworth.

If Whitworth does eventually supplant Willie, I have a feeling Dancing Bear will no longer be with the team. Another young guy will probably be drafted at guard with superior potential before he can ever get a chance to shine.

Willie has been here through thick and thin... It'll be so awesome to have him here through the dynasty years. :sure:

Well TDB you did it again with another"Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" SIG..... :blush:

I think he's also being groomed as an eventual Willie replacement. Whitworth might be competition for him, but with his versatility, I'd imagine him as a Steinbach replacement. I don't think Andrews would be as successful at guard... He's a beast, but I'm not sure he's as athletic as Steiny or Whitworth.

If Whitworth does eventually supplant Willie, I have a feeling Dancing Bear will no longer be with the team. Another young guy will probably be drafted at guard with superior potential before he can ever get a chance to shine.

I honestly don't think Andrews will amount to anything. If they were confident in his ability to replace Willie, like guard Whitworth, they wouldn't have signed him to a long term deal. Marvin harps on this simple fact: "we will put the players in place that helps this team."

if Willie was let go, then the others player would seriously wonder how in the hell we could not give respect to a top tackle who has never said a bad thing about the bengals or had off the field issues.

Plus Willie is their friend, leader, and staple in that locker-room. Willie is the man. Him and Levi are great friends and, I believe, business partners. Keeping Willie around means the players have someone to look up to, a guy that will speak out when a player gets out of hand (i.e. Dillon and Chad), and respected tackle around the league. They trust him in the huddle and that picture of Willie pumping his hands in the air to a returning Palmer at camp gives me chills.

OK, fine, none of that is actually on the field. But it's that chemistry I think some of us don't understand.

The bitching about the arrests this off-season dominated the national spin on the Bengals, and certainly preoccupied most of us zealots, but, damn, the more important story for this team has been largely ignored nationally, but we ought to take a moment to reflect among ourselves.

Since last December, the Bengals have moved swiftly AND decisively to:

1. Lock up Carson long term

2. Lock up CJ long term

3. Lock up Bobbie Williams

4. Lock up Levi Jones long term

5. Lock up Willie Anderson long term

6. Didn't they also lock up Jeremi Johnson, too?

Toss in the Dexter Jackson and Sam Adams free agent signings, and this has been one of the more sustained runs of organizational front office proactive excellence I can remember.

Toss in the fact that Rudi and TJ were just taken care of the year before that, and it is mind-boggling how good the general mood must be in that locker room. The national perspective? A team in turmoil. The actual reality? A team where hard work and dedication to your craft is rewarded, and rewarded proactively and fairly (if not lavishly).

For years, killing the front office was a sport (and a deserved one). But, damn. I mean, damn! That's hella good work. And then some.

The focus for the lynchpins of this team for the rest of the decade will be solely focused on winning, contract shenanigans largely for other teams. I am stunned by this general turn of events.

Good lord.

I doubt Willie would have gone for that, honestly. He believes (and I have no reason to doubt him) that he has a good 3-4 years left in him. Unless injury plays a factor (and I'm talking Willie goes down for a bunch of games injury) Whitworth will NOT be an offensive tackle on this team.

I wonder if that's because the coaches didn't think he could... we signed both our tackles for a very long time (in NFL terms) AFTER signing and seeing Whitworth. Makes me think Whitworth won't be a tackle... at ALL.

ON the roster at Bengals.com Whitworth is listed as a Guard (not G/T). He's not even listed AT ALL on the depth chart as a tackle. Doesn't seem to me they are preparing him as a tackle.

ACTUALLY Whitworth is listed as Steinbach’s backup… HUMMMMMMM

Eh, what do I know. I'm just stoked we're getting ready for our Super Bowl season.

I could see in 3years if willie does have a dropoff or desides to retire but ya looks like he be our starting LG next year.

Add all that to a much maligned draft class that has done nothing but impress so far, membengal.

This offseason couldn't have gone better, character issues be damned.

Very true,outsides will say its been a horrible offseason but their freaking dumb Ya some of our young guys have had minor issues but on the other hand our draft class is looking good and weve extended some of the most importent players willie,JJ,Chad,levi & carson + brought in dexter and sam so I would say this offseason gets a A+ even with the character issues

Notable from da site:

It’s believed the Bengals are just one of about 10 teams scheduled to dish out more money in bonuses and salary in 2006 than the $102 million cap, otherwise known as cash over cap.

That the front office has plucked its collective head out of its collective arse and started competing financially is good news. I among others railed about their refusal to do so for years, and they deserve props for changing course. It was inevitable they would face the need to do so once a good team got put together, but it's nice to see my fears that they would let guys leave in order to maintain their profit margins were unfounded. So props to Mikey! :cheers:

I honestly don't think Andrews will amount to anything.

Agreed.

I'd say this year plus next year's training camp is Andrew's last chance to prove something - the project is over.

That said, you two need to review the film - Andrews played reasonably well at tackle much of the three preseason games

Thank you. I feel he has been impressive in the last two preseasons, and I'm not sure what you want him to do to prove himself. Takeover the job from one of our tackles? Guards? Obviously you'd have to be a pro-bowler to do that. He has been a decent backup with little football experience and I think he will only get better.

I didn't expect it, but I tend to be wrong frequently! Great news.

Can the Bengals continue to surprise us by locking up Steiny too?

I dougt it. Whitworth will replace him after this year.

I too thought the Bengals would lock up Steinbach over Willie, but Steinbach wants tackle money and the boating DUI probably doesn't help him.

Great move in locking up Willie. I tend to agree that they will go with Whitworth. However, it is possible (but only slightly) that they would tag Steinbach. Ghiaciuc and Wilkerson are also options at guard, whichever one does not replace Richie at center, but I think Whitworth is the guy.

You all have to admit, this offensive line is one damned versatile group, eh? :cheers:

No Doubt about that. I also like to look at the contract status of our offense that Hobson provided.

Once and Future Offense (contract status):

WR Chad Johnson through 2011

LT Levi Jones through 2012

LG Eric Steinbach through 2006

C Rich Braham through 2006

RG Bobbie Williams through 2009

RT Willie Anderson through 2011

TE Reggie Kelly through 2006

WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh through 2008

QB Carson Palmer through 2014

RB Rudi Johnson through 2009

FB Jeremi Johnson through 2010

Pretty Amazing.

You all have to admit, this offensive line is one damned versatile group, eh? :cheers:

No Doubt about that. I also like to look at the contract status of our offense that Hobson provided.

Once and Future Offense (contract status):

WR Chad Johnson through 2011

LT Levi Jones through 2012

LG Eric Steinbach through 2006

C Rich Braham through 2006

RG Bobbie Williams through 2009

RT Willie Anderson through 2011

TE Reggie Kelly through 2006

WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh through 2008

QB Carson Palmer through 2014

RB Rudi Johnson through 2009

FB Jeremi Johnson through 2010

Pretty Amazing.

Although it looks great on paper, I'm not sure how backloaded the contracts are. I think TJ and Rudi are frontloaded so they should be here through their contract. Some of the others may be backloaded and in no way locked up through the full term of the contract. Although it is nice to see 8 of the players on offense pretty much locked up through 2008. One more linemen draft pick and it should be the same offense for the next 3 years, and at a decent price for the return on investment. Now, here's to getting some money on the defensive side of the ball!

I'm not so sure about that backloaded angle there. I know Carson and Chads is, but Willies is $20 mil in the next three years, so there really is not much backloading on that. Plus if you look at it, backloading isn't a bad thing. It takes into account the idea that the salary cap will grow within that timeframe, so it shouldn't really bad at all. Especially considering where the Bengals are in relation to the cap right now....

This is very good news. I doubt Big Willie plays out entire contract, but glad to see him back regardless.

I guess Steinbach gets " franchised " next year, or maybe Justin Smith. Perhaps neither, with all the talent that we have at DE now, Rucker, Henderson,Geathers seems to be playing really well so far, plus a talented DE crop next year.

I love Willie, but I hate this signing. I think it is far too much money for a tackle in the twilight of his career. I still think he is a good player, but I feel he is always injured, which will only get worse in the upcoming years. I think Willie should have taken less money if he wanted to be a Bengal. How come Braham never gets the attention of Willie? He was the second ranked center in run-success blocking at over 80% and yet makes the league minimum? I just don't understand. As Cleveland knows, there is a premium for good centers as well.

Oh man. I'm calling you on this.

1. How is a guy that's gone to three straight pro-bowls in the past three straight seasons a "tackle in the twilight of his career"? He's just getting started... :D

2. Always injured? How many games has he missed? If you look at his NFL page, there's a "16" for every season except one. He's no more hurt than most NFL players. He always grits it out. IF he gets hurt for 30 straight games, then I'll agree with you. But he hasn't. He's remained in the starting lineup every game.

3. Would you take less money at your job?

4. Agree about Braham! But shouldn't be in comparison with Willie's deal. Braham may have alternative plans... and he's not a three-time straight pro-bowl player (although he should be!!!)

1. Willie did not have a probowl caliber season last year. In fact, SI just wrote an article on how high Braham was ranked, it was merely noted that Willie was in the top 40 for offensive lineman (I realize this is good, which I said willie was good).

2. Willie has been injured the last 2 season, he just continues to play. Playing injured decreases your productivity. He is 31, carrying well over 300 pounds of weight, and has repeated injuries. I'm eighteen and weigh less than half of Willie, yet my knee injuries can cause me tremendous pain. Imagine what Willie will deal with at age 35. This was a long deal for a player who clearly has played his best football. For a tackle, you only have a very limited number of good years, I think Willie may have 2 left. This does not warrant that kind of money.

3. This was a smart move for Willie. It was a dumb move for the Bengals. I can see a three year deal that would have been smart money, but this was over-the-top.

I love Willie (in a completely platonic way), but how can this be justified as a football move. 2 years ago he was a probowler, last year he wasn't nearly as good. I just can't agree with this deal.

1. Willie did not have a probowl caliber season last year. In fact, SI just wrote an article on how high Braham was ranked, it was merely noted that Willie was in the top 40 for offensive lineman (I realize this is good, which I said willie was good).

Since we're using metrics, let me point something else out to you. The Bengals Adjusted Line Yards (4.78) ranked 3rd in the NFL. To the left? The ALY is 4.57 (11th). Take out the generalistic 58% of the team's rushing attempts up the middle, and it clearly shows the Bengals offensive play-calling goes right behind Willie (17%). Willie's metrics actually increased from 2004 and 2003.

2. Willie has been injured the last 2 season, he just continues to play.

He's not injured. He plays hurt. There's a huge difference. Injured donates you have an ACL tear or some other dilibating condition. Playing hurt, bum knees, is different. You can play through the pain. For example, Rudi Johnson the entire 2005 season, was listed as questionable and didn't even practice during the week. He had one good leg. Willie plays through his aches and pains, just like every other NFLer. But as the metrics above show, his productivity has actually increased!

3. This was a smart move for Willie. It was a dumb move for the Bengals. I can see a three year deal that would have been smart money, but this was over-the-top.

The deal is done, so there's no use worrying about numbers and justification. I think now you should sit back and just observe. If you're right, I'll buy ya a couple of drinks (in three years). :cheers:

In case you haven't figured it out, my favorite player is Willlie so I'm pretty stoked we got him back -- plus it keeps the best talent in the league on the front line. We're going to win five super bowls because of it.