Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5450

Big deal for Big Willie

By GEOFF HOBSON

August 31, 2006

Posted: 4:15 p.m.

Anderson

Willie Anderson stands on the verge of joining Ken Anderson as the longest serving Bengal after the club extended the three-time Pro Bowler’s contract five more years through the 2011 season Thursday in an undisclosed deal that could make him the NFL's top paid right tackle.

Anderson, 31, would be in his 16th season on that final year and would tie the Bengals’ longevity record set by another Anderson, the club’s all-time passer in records set from 1971-86.

The deal comes on the heels of last month’s six-year extension for left tackle Levi Jones totaling $40 million as the Bengals make sure quarterback Carson Palmer is going to be their next all-time leading passer by locking up his bookend tackles. Anderson and Jones were the linchpins of Palmer’s pass protection that allowed him to get sacked the fewest times of any other regular quarterback except Peyton Manning last season on the way to his first Pro Bowl.

On the eve of the preseason finale in Indianapolis, the Anderson extension fittingly wraps up an all-out offseason offensive by the front office to secure long-term deals for several members of one of the league’s top offenses. The bonanza began with Palmer’s own six-year, $97 million extension back in December, followed by new deals for fullback Jeremi Johnson, right guard Bobbie Williams, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson and now Jones and Anderson.

With Jones now the NFL's fourth highest-paid left tackle and Anderson already the second highest paid right tackle before Thursday, it's going to be hard for the Bengals to sign left guard Eric Steinbach to an elite deal. But they have locked up three-fifths of what is viewed as one of the top units in the NFL and the Bengals' best line since Hall of Famer Anthony Muñoz anchored the 1988 run to the AFC championship.

Anderson hasn't missed a game in this decade with 96 straight starts and is closing in on Tony McGee's 117 straight for fifth place on the list. His 158 games

Good deal. Woould like to see the numbers.

Bye-bye Steinbach? Have to thinkn they could still get him wrapped up with the expected massive cap space expansion over the next couple of years...almost certainly won't happen until '07 offseason, tho.

That gives us plenty of time to find someone to unseat him as his career tapers off.

Nice thing is that you can extend his career by platooning him with Whitworth, who is better suited as an RT anyhow. It's a Webb/Jones scenario all over again.

As for Steinbach, the cap is currently projected to grow by $7 million next year. Not to mention potential space recouped if they don't resign James, Braham, Thornton, and/or Justin. Should be plenty of space if they so choose.

You're right Hoosier... but we've got Whitworth now at a much cheaper price. It's time to start spending money on the defense. I say we use his money on Justin Smith (I know a lot of you Smith haters just blew a gasket... but I like him!)

Whitworth will be an awesome RG. I believe he'll be close to as good as Steiny. Not better, but almost as good... and at a much cheaper price. Our O-Line is going to continue to be good for several more years.

I love Willie, but I hate this signing. I think it is far too much money for a tackle in the twilight of his career. I still think he is a good player, but I feel he is always injured, which will only get worse in the upcoming years. I think Willie should have taken less money if he wanted to be a Bengal. How come Braham never gets the attention of Willie? He was the second ranked center in run-success blocking at over 80% and yet makes the league minimum? I just don't understand. As Cleveland knows, there is a premium for good centers as well.

Does this mean that Justin Smith is even more less likely to be around much longer with his contract?

depends how they make the contract but the thing is willie was 2nd highest paid RT now he'll be the highest so his cap number cant be much worse then this year + the cap goes up what 7million next year? and we lose tory james and mybe cut some other $$$ vets

If you ment cutting Justin then yer a freaking idiot if you diden't then yer not ^_^

You're right Hoosier... but we've got Whitworth now at a much cheaper price. It's time to start spending money on the defense. I say we use his money on Justin Smith (I know a lot of you Smith haters just blew a gasket... but I like him!)

Whitworth will be an awesome RG. I believe he'll be close to as good as Steiny. Not better, but almost as good... and at a much cheaper price. Our O-Line is going to continue to be good for several more years.

Could happen (Smith, I mean) and I wouldn't complain. Personally, I think not giving Steinbach what he reportedly wants is foolish, given his talent and versatility. But if they choose to let him walk, all I can say is they better find a way to keep Wilkerson.

James, Braham, and Smith are all up after '06, and combined chew up about $8.5 million in cap space. So just with them plus the projected cap expansion we are looking at $15-16 million in cap space. Of course, people get raises, and there's the usual Hobsonization to do to the numbers (rookie pool, injury reserve, etc.). But still, they are hardly going to be in cap hell. Plus if they let Thornton go they'd save about $2.4 million against the cap in '07 and more than $4 million in '08. So if they wanted to keep Justin and Steiny they could.

As for Willie's deal, I will be surprised if it isn't at least cap-neutral for '06. He already counted more than 5 big ones against this year's cap (and between the Askew and Navies cuts alone the Bengals freed up another $800k or so). Mite even save some $$$.

EDIT:Per espn, a $32 million deal, $20 million in the frst 3 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2567874

If espn's premliminary numbers are right that is a very good deal for Willie. Averages out 06-11 (6 years) to about $5.3 million per. I'll bet the SB & guaranteed coin over the first three years is about $9 million, accompanied by salaries in the $3-4 million range. Then salaries in the $4-6 million range the last 4 years. Figure that by about 2009 the cap hit for cutting Willie and the cost of his salary meet -- but that makes this a nice (from Willie's perspective) 3 year, $20 million deal. At least that's my guess.

Steiny should fire his agent mr I wont talk once camp has started ^_^

The Bengals are staggering their big signings. I would not be surprised to see Steinbach signed at the end of next year.

Justin Smith though? Goners. I hope.

I hope yer wrong ,anyways we drafted whitworth he needs a spot on the Oline somewhere :P

I love Willie, but I hate this signing. I think it is far too much money for a tackle in the twilight of his career. I still think he is a good player, but I feel he is always injured,

When was the last time he missed a game? what about when he hasen't played at a probowl level?

I love Willie, but I hate this signing. I think it is far too much money for a tackle in the twilight of his career. I still think he is a good player, but I feel he is always injured, which will only get worse in the upcoming years. I think Willie should have taken less money if he wanted to be a Bengal. How come Braham never gets the attention of Willie? He was the second ranked center in run-success blocking at over 80% and yet makes the league minimum? I just don't understand. As Cleveland knows, there is a premium for good centers as well.

Because no one else offered him more then a league min

Oh man. I'm calling you on this.

1. How is a guy that's gone to three straight pro-bowls in the past three straight seasons a "tackle in the twilight of his career"? He's just getting started... :D

2. Always injured? How many games has he missed? If you look at his NFL page, there's a "16" for every season except one. He's no more hurt than most NFL players. He always grits it out. IF he gets hurt for 30 straight games, then I'll agree with you. But he hasn't. He's remained in the starting lineup every game.

3. Would you take less money at your job?

4. Agree about Braham! But shouldn't be in comparison with Willie's deal. Braham may have alternative plans... and he's not a three-time straight pro-bowl player (although he should be!!!)

I don't know about being "cheaper".. I think that's the old Mike Brown mindset for justifying playing/starting someone. But I agree with you. Whitworth, TALENT-wise, has done well. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Eric G. becomes a guard/center type of player and moves to guard based on neg. with Steinbach while Wilkerson (if the team believes he could) readys for center. I'm not too worried about forcing Whitworth in though.. he'll get his chance in time. But Eric G. replacing Steinbach if he leaves??? Hum.... but personally, I leave the money to people that have the books and the MBAs (for example, I accidently paid for 2 xbox 360s this past week...don't ask...)