Big Willie extended through 2011 - Merged

bengal4life

As I was coming off my run early this morning I heard Willie talking about the signing and he was very,very happy about it. way to go BENGALS BRASS..... :bengal:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't think Andrews will amount to anything.

Agreed.

I'd say this year plus next year's training camp is Andrew's last chance to prove something - the project is over.

That said, you two need to review the film - Andrews played reasonably well at tackle much of the three preseason games

Thank you. I feel he has been impressive in the last two preseasons, and I'm not sure what you want him to do to prove himself. Takeover the job from one of our tackles? Guards? Obviously you'd have to be a pro-bowler to do that. He has been a decent backup with little football experience and I think he will only get better.

Shrug. Jamal Broussard and Rhonnie Ghent always look(ed) good during preseason, too. The trouble with Stacey is just that there's nowhere to put him. We've got solid starting and backup tackles in Willie, Jones, Koo and Whitworth. Toss in Bobby, Eric, and Richie, plus Bluto, and you're already up to 8 on the o-line. They'll probably keep 9, so that leaves Stacey in a scrum with Keift and Wilkerson. If Keift hadn't blown out his knee, you have to think Andrews would have been gone already.

Is it really a problem that there is nowhere to put Stacy? Isn't that a good thing?

If they have been able to take fourth round flyer on a project like Anderws and turn him into a back-up that is capable of stepping in and helping this team if an injury occurs, than I consider that a success.

I guess we have different measures of success.

Is it really a problem that there is nowhere to put Stacy? Isn't that a good thing?

If they have been able to take fourth round flyer on a project like Anderws and turn him into a back-up that is capable of stepping in and helping this team if an injury occurs, than I consider that a success.

I guess we have different measures of success.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Is it a problem there's nowhere to put Stacy? Well, if you're him, yeah. If you're the Bengals, no, but that's pretty much my point.

I agree that if they had been able to turn Andrews into a solid backup, that would have been a success. Are you saying that they have? I don't think that's clear at all.

Yeah, I am saying that they have. He's the primary back-up at LT, right?

Not per da site. Lougheed and Keift are the backup LTs. Koo is No. 2 at RT. And Whitworth isn't even listed on the Bengals depth chart yet.

And in the back-up mix at guard?

He's listed behind Bobbie at RG, that's it.

I think he has been a success by that measure...

Not much of a measure, IMHO.

My standards for fourth round picks who have played only seven downs of college football are not all that high. If he is a primary back-up at this point, he has met my hopes for him.

Anything above that would have been an insanely good payoff.

My standards for fourth round picks who have played only seven downs of college football are not all that high. If he is a primary back-up at this point, he has met my hopes for him.

Anything above that would have been an insanely good payoff.

Probably. I'm not saying he's a bust or a bad pick, just that the numbers game on the o-line isn't in his favor. Out of nine spots, I think there are seven locks: the five starters plus Bluto and Whitworth.

Setting aside "camp fodder" like Takavitz and Lougheed, that leaves Kooistra, Andrews, Keift, and Wilkerson battling for two spots. Figure Keift gets PUP'd, so that leaves Koo, Stacy and Ben. It would stink to have to cut any of them. Koo showed he could hold up against the big boys last year in relief of Willie. If Ben's healthy, and he appears to be, cutting him would be tantamount to handing the Browns their center of the future. And, of course, letting Andrews go means flushing two years of work with an amazing athlete (if not yet an amazing football player) down the drain.

They could decide to keep 10 o-linemen if they go with just two TEs -- but there are other positions, notably LB, DE and WR where that extra slot might be better spent.

I'm coming in on this one late... Moving SUCKS !!!

To start, I think this signing shows that leadership and professionalism go a long way and are being held in high regard within the organization. Not to mention 3 consecutive pro-bowls !!! This seems more than I thought (and was hoping for) in regards to resigning Big Willie. Sure reward the guy, but it seems the deal is going to make it more difficult to keep Steinbach in the fold. I know things are workable, but this is not making it easier whatsoever. Forget the DUI boating incident, the guy is a pro bowl level player and will get paid by someone if not the Bengals. I still just don't get how you let your pick (the top pick) of the second round walk away...

I can't say as I'm thrilled with the depth behind Braham at this point either. How about having Steinbach take over at center and then be able to get Whitworth in the starting lineup ?? That would make me smile mucho big !!!

Anyway, I'm happy with it and glad the positive leadership will be around for a while longer...

WHODEY !!!

I'm going to be a bit self-promoting, and say "I told you so." Here are some of the things I said about Willie about 3 weeks ago. There was a lot of complaining about the potential of signing Willie instead of Steiny... so, to quote myself:

Just from the importance of their positions, spending the money on a proven RT is much more important than a LG. If you're going to have to spend the money to get a top notch guy, the tackle position is simply the more important of the two. Guards are getting paid huge amounts of money right now... so it makes more sense to replace Steiny with Whitworth for the next couple of years anyway.

Willie is one of the few great leaders on this team. Any time you need a sound-byte of a guy being a leader on the field, you turn to Willie. You don't hear a peep out of Steinbach. Palmer is more reserved. Chad just likes to have fun. Willie is the vocal leader on this team. If you lose him, you are losing more than just his production on the field.

http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?sh...c=12060&hl=

I don't much know why I felt the need to post this... other than to say, I've been in favor of re-signing Willie from the beginning. I wuold have been okay with Steiny too... but this makes me really happy. I'm with Kirk. 5 Super Bowls baby!