Off-season workouts/OTAs up to training camp thread 2022

membengal

I "almost" always root for the AFCN rival teams to lose. I hate them all.
If they suck and are in last place, I want them to suck more.  I want to see their fans (especially the Steelers) losing their minds over it.
I won't wish injuries upon anyone, but right up to that line of hate is where you will find me camped out.

Steelers? Ravens? Browns?
Yeah, SUCK IT !!!

16 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Don’t get me wrong. I am very pleased when those goons lose.

I just appreciate the feeling of dismissing them as irrelevant gnats.

That does carry it's own special happiness I suppose.
When it comes to football though, I'm more of a kick you when your down kind of guy, then kick you again.
I'm the guy pissing in their Wheaties.

Probably doesn't speak highly of my character, but I've long gotten over caring.

Burrow is sneaky fast, because his combine and I think pro day were canceled via COViD.  Thus the media never-picked  up on his 40.   Once drafted, I have never heard of a QB being officially timed or people paying attention to it. 

In the National Championship game I can remember Burrow beating Simmons to a first down.  That guy tested fast and was a first round pick.  

23 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I've been watching highlights from the season lately.

Speaking about my above last post, have any of you watched the highlights of the playoff games knowing damn well what happens next, and yet when they pick up a big first down you find yourself pumping your fist and getting excited like the shit just happened?  I was like, what the hell am I doing?

Yeah, that's how great last season was !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Speaking about my above last post, have any of you watched the highlights of the playoff games knowing damn well what happens next, and yet when they pick up a big first down you find yourself pumping your fist and getting excited like the shit just happened?  I was like, what the hell am I doing?

Yeah, that's how great last season was !!

Yes.   Absolutely. 

Eh,  Burrow is elite.  You can slice stats any number of ways.  There was that one floating around about mid season of Zac/Burrow lack of wins when trailing in 4th or something.    How did that work out,lol? 

IMO, Burrow showed his ability to be elite during crunch time in his very first start.   Only a bad offensive PI call on AJ Green and Fat Randy pulling both calves after a missed easy FG robbed him. 

Heck supposedly he check into a play in the Super Bowl 4th and 1 that got him Chase open down the sideline.   Only bad tech of Spain spoiled it.   

If not for Spain,  that would have been the all-time post season play in the NFL bar none.    Instead we get watch Donald point to his finger.   

I have no idea what Burrow or Awuzie are going to do.   My thought is Bates will hit URFA next offseason.    Get a bunch of money making him a top 5 paid Safety.

Then in about 2 years with his new team fans will think he is overrated because he has not delivered splash plays that should come long with the premium dollars.

I would like to have him back but I would not mind having his dollars thrown over to Bell or a Jonah Williams extension either.

I've always been a fan of Bates, the player and wouldn't mind him coming back.
Thing is, we all know it's not happening.  Not with both Burrow and Chase extensions coming, which will make them the highest paid at their respective positions.  Considering other players that will also need extending soon, there's just no way the Bengals can or should be paying him 16-18 million per year.

Honestly, I think the mistake in all of this is not trading him when there was (is) potential for multiple picks to come in return.  Instead they will let him walk next year and hope to get a 3rd round comp pick.  Again, I'd rather have him on the team than not, but I would have traded him (and still would) if it were my decision.

• Like 1

Army: If a team with playoff aspirations loses a starting safety in training camp, preseason, or early regular season, they will come a-calling for Bates with 2023 picks in hand

Im a little torn.  I love Bates as a player, no longer like him as a person, but we are still in the Superbowl window - so why not maximize our chances of winning this next one?  But yeah, if someone offered at least a r1 pick in 2023, I'd think about it.  We do know with near 100% certainty that either he or Bell or possibly both are gone after this year, so any serious trade offers do have to be considered, and a 1 is far better than a comp 3, which is essentially an early 4th round pick. 

One thing additional here.  Not many people believe that Bates will make good on his threat not to play under the tag, but it remains a slim possibility.  You or I would never walk away from 12 million dollars, but he's already made enough money to live on comfortably, so he isnt desperate for the 12M.  He could sit out.  The Bengals should have a better grasp of the truth (or lack thereof) of that, and if they know or are close to certain that he will sit out, they should be making every effort to quietly unload him for whatever they can get

The Bengals typically haven't found themselves in this position much, if ever.
In that they are going to decide which of their really good players they pay and which ones walk.
I don't see any way in hell either Burrow or Chase leave this franchise.  You can't allow THAT to happen.

Bates, Bell, Apple, Hurst, and Pratt among others are all UFA after the season.
Decisions coming the following year for Hendrickson, Reader, Boyd, Awuzie, Williams, Wilson and Higgins ??

They simply cannot pay all of those guys their market value.  While I think they have done a good job in drafting replacements, you can't simply start all over either.  Knowing that's the case, I would prefer seeing them make moves with some of these guys that bring additional picks back to the team to supplement that loss, as opposed to taking what's given in comp picks.  That comes across as lazy to me.

I'm not suggesting that's going to happen, but there's no denying the decisions facing the front office.