Offseason Thoughts

cincyhokie

I understand the thought process here, Army, but Im guessing that they prefer 1 more year of Bates while we're in the championship window plus a comp 3 over a r1 or r2 pick, presuming we could get a 2 or a 1 for him (not a sure bet)

There is also the fact that his franchise tag number still wont be excessively big if we tag him a second time, due to the low number for the safety position

LB just isn't one of those positions that anyone ever speaks about when talking about the Bengals.
The coaches, fans and apparently everyone else is ok with just addressing the position periodically and rolling with the results.
While I will readily admit that I like Wilson, and Pratt came on as the season moved forward, it's still a concern in my book.

I haven't spoken much about it, because for the most part no one seems interested.
However, when looking at the LB depth, you will currently find Bailey in the starting position with ADG as a back up and nothing much else.
Nothing to see here though.  No mention of linebackers, let alone a starting one, when in fact should they go that route they just might find one.

They won't though and no one will bat an eye with Bailey starting out the season as the starter.  It's just what we do.

To you UK....  I applaud your thoughts and raise a glass of bourbon in your direction.
CHEERS !!

• Like 1

My views on the Bengals linebackers:

I love Logan Wilson. I think he is primed for an awesome season and could be a Pro Bowl darkhorse. He was already on that trajectory over the first half of 2021. He slid back a bit over the latter half of the season, but then he was better than ever in the postseason.

Germaine Pratt is solid. He isn't spectacular, but I don't think he is a weakness. He also sealed the end of a playoff wins drought that I wasn't sure would ever die, so I will give him my fierce loyalty at least for now.

Akeem Davis-Gaither has flashed capably when he has been able to play. If he can stay on the field I would say he provides adequate depth. I am not sure he provides better than adequate depth. I don't spend a first round pick to improve LB depth though.

Everyone else is either unproven or meh. I have never quite bought into Markus Bailey, but who knows. He seems vaguely okay on special teams if memory serves. Joe Bachie looked good for about a half before he got hurt, so the sample size is too tiny for me to do anything with that.

I don't think LB is a first round need. I could see it only if a top top player dropped (e.g., Devin Lloyd), and even then I wouldn't feel that great about it. Pratt can be upgraded, but I'd much rather upgrade Apple or add another capable pass rusher.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

My views on the Bengals linebackers:

I love Logan Wilson. I think he is primed for an awesome season and could be a Pro Bowl darkhorse. He was already on that trajectory over the first half of 2021. He slid back a bit over the latter half of the season, but then he was better than ever in the postseason.

Germaine Pratt is solid. He isn't spectacular, but I don't think he is a weakness. He also sealed the end of a playoff wins drought that I wasn't sure would ever die, so I will give him my fierce loyalty at least for now.

Akeem Davis-Gaither has flashed capably when he has been able to play. If he can stay on the field I would say he provides adequate depth. I am not sure he provides better than adequate depth. I don't spend a first round pick to improve LB depth though.

Everyone else is either unproven or meh. I have never quite bought into Markus Bailey, but who knows. He seems vaguely okay on special teams if memory serves. Joe Bachie looked good for about a half before he got hurt, so the sample size is too tiny for me to do anything with that.

I don't think LB is a first round need. I could see it only if a top top player dropped (e.g., Devin Lloyd), and even then I wouldn't feel that great about it. Pratt can be upgraded, but I'd much rather upgrade Apple or add another capable pass rusher.

Don't get me wrong, I believe there are needs for both CB and a 3T DT and think the pick will be with one of those two positions.
However, if the thought is where do we take a player that has a chance to start his rookie season, I contend LB is just as likely as any other.

A CB will have to fight off Apple and while some think that's going to be easy, I disagree as Apple came on here and seems motivated to continue.
A DT will have to beat out BJ Hill and I don't think that's going to happen either.
DE, Safety ??  Nope not there.

Maybe Linderbaum, because that would be nothing more than moving Karras to LG, which was a better graded position for him than Center.
OT, OG, WR, RB, TE ??  Nope don't see that happening either.

My take is that no one can tell me a rookie linebacker like Lloyd, who can play inside or outside (thought to be best on the strong side) can't beat out Bailey.
No disrespect to Bailey, but I simply don't view him in the same light as any of the first round LB's this year.
Seeing as how Lloyd is considered a top15-20 player, should he drop, he would also more than likely be the BPA.

I know, I know, linebackers could be had in the later rounds...  What else would a Bengals fan say ??
Personally, I would be happy looking at Pratt, Wilson and Lloyd as our starters.
Even then, the depth would still need major help.

Bring on tomorrow and our new first round player who won't be a LB even if they fall.

I think the problem with a rookie LB starting is that the Bengals only really have two starters. They operate out of a nickel base more or less, so the 3rd LBer is effectively a backup or a rotational piece. I don't figure a rookie starts over Pratt or Wilson.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I think the problem with a rookie LB starting is that the Bengals only really have two starters. They operate out of a nickel base more or less, so the 3rd LBer is effectively a backup or a rotational piece. I don't figure a rookie starts over Pratt or Wilson.

That's a good point Stripes.  
I tend to forget that part of our defense.
Still, I would take some more talent at the position.

Mel released his final player rankings today. The only category I care about:

Returners

1. Marcus Jones, Houston
2. Calvin Austin III, Memphis
3. Britain Covey, Utah
4. Velus Jones Jr., Tennessee
5. Jequez Ezzard, Sam Houston State
6. Justin Hall, Ball State
7. Jalen Virgil, Appalachian State
8. Trestan Ebner, Baylor
9. Deven Thompkins, Utah State
10. Travell Harris, Washington State

I so want Jones. Like “sell my soul” want Jones. But he’s a slot corner, and a good one, but that’s not where their need at CB is. Can’t take him at 31 and he’ll be gone before the next pick. If they can at least get one of the top 3-5 guys I’ll take it.

• Thanks 1

No can’t take him at 31 and some would argue you can’t really take a small slot guy in the 2nd either. I’m just not one of those guys.

Hilton is 28 and is signed through 2024. Maybe he loses a step, maybe he gets hurt, maybe they cut him in two years to save 6 million. Taking Marcus Jones is perfectly fine by me and I always had them taking 2 CB’s this draft anyway.

Him falling to the 2nd would be a no brainer for me. If it helps, I’ll stand on the corner with a sign helping you sell your soul to make it happen.

• Like 1

Ok I know I said I wasn’t going to do this, but I spent more time looking into this kid the Bengals had in for a visit. I couldn’t place his name but knew I had heard it.

Grant Calcaterra, TE, SMU

He played two seasons at Oklahoma and tore shit up. On the Mackey list and all. Then he stepped away in 2019 due to concussions. He comes back to football after transferring to SMU and is now thought of as a late round pick.

Dont know why I hadn’t seen this video of his two years in Oklahoma but take a look who his QB’s are. Baker Mayfield and then Kyler Murray. He goes to SMU and has Skinny McDickweed throwing the ball.

In my book, he’s worth the late round flier, concussions and all. 

https://youtu.be/mZbEEghl8U0