O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

2 hours ago, gregcook68 said:

Will MB allow spending to get close to cap ceiling to keep players he should AND get some help here, and draft depth? :flushed:

If you are suggesting the same narrative of "Mike Brown is too cheap", I would recommend taking a look at the previous 5+ seasons of spending.
This isn't something that just occurred this year and they just happened into things.  They've been spending near the cap for quite some time.
Seeing the money spent on free agents is something new over the course of the last two off seasons, but they are spending nonetheless.

While Mike Brown might be "involved" in what the team has going on, there's nothing to suggest he's holding the purse strings in any fashion.

He's probably lucky to hold his dick while taking a piss at 86 years old.

15 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

If you are suggesting the same narrative of "Mike Brown is too cheap", I would recommend taking a look at the previous 5+ seasons of spending.
This isn't something that just occurred this year and they just happened into things.  They've been spending near the cap for quite some time.
Seeing the money spent on free agents is something new over the course of the last two off seasons, but they are spending nonetheless.

While Mike Brown might be "involved" in what the team has going on, there's nothing to suggest he's holding the purse strings in any fashion.

He's probably lucky to hold his dick while taking a piss at 86 years old.

You can see all the OL drafts since '13.  The  OL issue hasn't just been a 2 year problem.  It was bad before Whitworth left, so maybe it's time to start trying FAs or trading for OL, duh?

• Like 1

Ok, maybe I didn't understand your post then Greg.  I'm not trying to be funny with you.

However, what does "MB allow spending to get close to cap ceiling" have to do with their draft results ??
While I will easily agree that they haven't had the success come from their o-line drafts as they would have liked, it isn't for not trying.

They have tried trades and started to bring in free agents.  Is it as much as we would probably like ??  Not by me, but what the hell do I know about that stuff ??
I was simply responding to your comment above about MB allowing for spending.

Duh ??  Ok I guess...

6 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Ok, maybe I didn't understand your post then Greg.  I'm not trying to be funny with you.

However, what does "MB allow spending to get close to cap ceiling" have to do with their draft results ??
While I will easily agree that they haven't had the success come from their o-line drafts as they would have liked, it isn't for not trying.

They have tried trades and started to bring in free agents.  Is it as much as we would probably like ??  Not by me, but what the hell do I know about that stuff ??
I was simply responding to your comment above about MB allowing for spending.

Duh ??  Ok I guess...

He beefed up the defense with FA, but OL was neglected AGAIN.

Its been years. What I'm asking is will he fix OL and keep players if it means rising to the top of the cap limit, or will he continue to try and draft the OL which has been a failure?

You seem butter and frustrated AB in a lot of your posts lately. Hope it's just franchise frustration and not something else going on.

Life's too short to have ongoing irritation.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

God no!  RG is the biggest hole on the oline

Not much of an argument on that statement.   I'll just say I don't expect them to be players for any sure fire FA guard that would require a deal in the double digits COMBINED with Spain, Adeniji and Carman coming back.

Just don't see it happening.  

Mike Brown?  Is this a 90s message board?    They don't spend top money on guards and quite frankly they just got proven right by dumping money into other positions.

Unless we are moving goal posts and the real purpose of an off season is avoid sacks instead of winning on the scoreboard.

Even the champions have areas they have to manage through out a season.  The whole OL or bust mentality we saw last off season blew up in the face of anyone  defending that hill.

The Bengals could have brought in Zietler, Rief, and Sewell at the expense of Chase and whatever Defensive Free Agents.   I don't think they make a Superbowl because Chase, Hendrickson, Hilton, and Chido were more impactful. 

5 hours ago, gregcook68 said:

He beefed up the defense with FA, but OL was neglected AGAIN.

Its been years. What I'm asking is will he fix OL and keep players if it means rising to the top of the cap limit, or will he continue to try and draft the OL which has been a failure?

You seem butter and frustrated AB in a lot of your posts lately. Hope it's just franchise frustration and not something else going on.

Life's too short to have ongoing irritation.

Nope, I'm good but thanks man.

I just think they have done about as much as they have been able to when considering all the holes this roster had to fill when Zac took over.
Again, I could be wrong.  I think this is the year where the o-line gets the focus in the off season.

Agree with the thought of them addressing it last offseason, but at what cost ??
As much of an irritation this o-line was, the team still made it to the Super Bowl.
Something definitely went right.  I think it continues to get better moving forward.

this pisses me off

https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1493966409600315396

yeah Zakky, we were lucky

YES LUCKY

this year that 70 sacks (and god knows how many additional hits) didnt result in a hospitalized New Guy

dont fucking count on such luck again, especially when it comes to the most important player on this team

(posted this on the extension thread as well)

9 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I'm wrong?  God, I hope so. 

Similar statements were made last Spring, and what they did was too little too late

WRONG IN THIS THREAD TOO. YOU ARE BITCHING OVER TOO MANY THREADS FOR ME TO PUT THE SAME SHIT IN EACH ONE. SEE THE OTHER THREAD. 

Yeah, I have seen the calls for Terron Armstread as well.
I'd like to say that I'd have little issue seeing them snag an elite OT like him, but no, not expecting that.

Scherff would be a cheaper option and there are others that would be less and still be a large upgrade.
Again, while looking into the future for players who have contracts coming up in the next couple years, there are also opportunities for a trade.

There are multiple ways to make this happen and the money is there.
I will patiently wait a few more weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I'm wrong?  God, I hope so. 

Similar statements were made last Spring, and what they did was too little too late

What did you expect him to do?  Zac doesn't make player personnel decisions so for all he knows we could indeed be playing the same guys, so you want him to slag them in public?  That will go over well in the locker room.

Please save the outrage for the end of April, if they haven't sufficiently upgraded the line then, then I give you Carte Blanche to complain to your heart's content....and I will be with you in lock step. There will be substantial upgrades to the oline, the organization knows that any and all good will that they have built will disappear if they don't, they aren't idiots.

As for "too little, too late" which moves would you have asked them not to do in lieu of oline....Trey Hendrickson?  Chido Awuzie?  Mike Hilton?  Ja'Marr Chase?  Even Ossai in the third, I think you are going to be happy he is here come next season.  The facts are that this team had huge holes to fill the last two seasons, more than you could possibly fill in two off-seasons.   They did their best and because of it they almost won the SuperBowl, no reason to expect that they won't evaluate the roster and make good choices this year as well.

• Thanks 2

Let's not get all fuzzy and warm about these o-line guys, 90% of them are absolute garbage, period, end of story.  Replace all of them if you can, and don't count on Carman.

Change coaching, scouts, development and/or evaluation if need be, change their diets, strength plans, whatever it takes.

After I saw Burrow leave the SB with yet another knee injury, I've had enough of this bullshit. I'm sure he has as well, but isn't going to call guys out publicly of course.

I certainly hope Taylor and Burrow take Mike Brown kicking and screaming into the FA conference room to make him actually spend money on a FA Guard, when it starts, for starters.