2022 Offseason Roster Notes

HoosierCat

Hobs:

Duke on the O-Line draft picks from last year: We’re bullish on those guys. They are not throw away guys at all. The biggest jump for O-linemen is between year one and two. Ha ha suck on that TJ no lineman for you!

(I may have added a sentence to that… :) )

• Haha 1

I don't think anyone has suggested throwing them away, but certainly adding to the mix and competition this year should be a priority.
No one should be handed a job on that o-line unless they are named Williams.

What did they carry on the o-line last year? 10?  Ok, well Williams is 1 of that 10.  Everything else is up for grabs.
Carman, Smith, and Hill = 4 along with Williams. Adeniji is still on the roster with the others as possible FA additions.
So there's at least 5 guys, which Spain or Reiff may or may not be a part of.

In my estimation that's at least 3-4 new guys vying for a starting or back up role on the o-line.
They should ALL be competing for the starting spots.

If they do in fact bring in Jensen from the Bucs, hell keep Hill and cut Hopkins, which would save them nearly 6 million.  BONUS !!
My point is that no one is calling for the 2021 rookies to be cut, that's a bullshit argument on all fronts.

EDIT: Calling ANY of the 2021 rookies a starter at this point is equal bullshit.  Carman is the closest and that's still in question.

45 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Josina Anderson:

#Bengals’ Duke Tobin says he expects that they’ll decide on S Jessie Bates’ tag status over “the next few days.”

I guess that's where this is going to end up. 
That number must be too high for the Bengals despite reports Bates stated he didn't need to be the highest paid safety.

I put the odds of them "deciding" not to tag him at roughly 0%.

I for one will be pissed if they tag Bates without giving him a new contract before the season starts.  It is not only about the player himself but also the players coming up behind him.  If you want to shed the cheap label you have to pay the guys that do everything right.

Ill ask again, since Army brought up Hopkins, if anyone with access to paywalled PFF data can get the ratings for Hopkins for the last 6-8 games and the postseason

He finished 2021 with a 51 overall, which isnt gonna cut it, but I personally believe he started weak and finished strong, so I'd like to see those numbers to validate or invalidate my  belief

also: we just extended CB Jalen Davis into 2022.  S U P E R B O W L ! ! !  yeah baby yeah!

Trey Hopkins PFF pass blocking grades

Week 11: 79.6

Week 12: 75.4

Week 13: DNP

Week 14: 57.8

Week 15: 64.7

Week 16: 71.5

Week 17: 68.4

Week 18: DNP

WC: 84.1

DR: 70.2

CC: 75.3

SB: 50.9

We have a picture of a player that is wildly inconsistent.  Trey Hopkins is a valuable backup but not a starter quality player.

16 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I guess that's where this is going to end up. 
That number must be too high for the Bengals despite reports Bates stated he didn't need to be the highest paid safety.

I put the odds of them "deciding" not to tag him at roughly 0%.

Have no idea, I would love to have him back but there is a limit to what you pay Bates, IMO.   I think he is a little bit closer to Lawson and Will Jackson.   Certainly upper tier starter but you always need some stat splicing or magic to make a case for top tier at the position.

thats exactly what I was looking for, Wraith, thanks :-)

all of those numbers save for that final game are better - far far better, in most cases - than his full season grade of 51, so yeah, he got better

based on that, I'd recommend (at worst) keeping him around as the first interior lineman off the bench.....could push both OC and OGs for starting time.....and yes, i see his cap number is in the range of a starter but I think he'd be an extremely valuable backup

If you ever spend time watching All-22 film reviews.  The Center is constantly in help mode very few 1 v 1 pass pro situations.     The biggest difference is getting a Center that can knock interior line man off balance in their pass rush or root them out of their gap in run blocking and working their way up to 2nd level. 

I don't know how they arrive at the pass blocking grades for a Center.  I'm guessing 90% of the pass plays he's turning to a guard and protecting a gap and in help mode.

The thing that sticks out from the Superbowl was the Bengals sliding protection which was successful but then looping stunts really started to get home.   I think a higher tier Center should help on that, I guess.    

I assume Pollack is looking for a more athletic center that maintains power which isn't Bozeman from what I've read (not very athletic).      That's why I have a hard time thinking they drop 13 mil of cap room on a center.   The biggest part of them playing is help mode.    But whatever, we'll see.

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

I would have my doubts about Hopkins surviving as guard.   He'll be covered more and have way more 1 v 1 pass rush assignments.  

Agreed he is a center all the way, and if they think Trey Hill is a better long-term backup then cut him and recoop the cap space.  Either way I am fine as long as we get a starter in FA or the draft (for the draft it is Linderbaum or bust as starting Centers go IMHO)

I look at these grade as being better than purely looking at stats, but not a definitive.

However, the average PFF grade for centers in 2021was 68.5.
That being the case, Hopkins had nearly 7 games in the last 12 games of the season, including the post season, which were considered at least average.
Hopkins had the lowest overall grade for the year for starting centers.  He wasn't even close to being average.
In those weeks he scored low, you could spot him 40 points for fun and he would still be below average for the year.

If they keep him as a backup, I really don't care, but savings is savings when trying to maintain a Super Bowl roster and improve other positions.
So again, give me Jensen and move on.  The other aspect about him I like would be him sharing thoughts on Brady as a QB with Burrow.
That type of access and the leadership he would bring I would guess to be very valuable.

Interesting - more confirmation of what we have been suspecting...

INDIANAPOLIS — It’s amazing what a Super Bowl appearance and an ascending, young quarterback can do for the reputation of an NFL franchise.

Completely unprompted, an agent for a prominent free-agent tight end told PFF recently how badly he wanted his client to sign with the Bengals and play with quarterback Joe Burrow.

Rob Gronkowski, who’s also a free agent and lost his longtime quarterback to retirement, expressed a similar sentiment publicly last month.

“I kinda like this young buck quarterback. He's in the Super Bowl now: It's Joe Burrow, man,” Gronkowski said in February. “I watched him in college. I just love the way he presents himself out on the football field. In the pocket, he's just so calm and he just slings it out on the field. … I just love his swag, too.”

Burrow was PFF’s top-graded quarterback in 2021 and exudes the confidence that earned him the “Joe Brr” moniker. The Bengals don’t need help at wide receiver or running back, but they could certainly use upgrades on the offensive line and at tight end. Would a player sign with the Bengals for less money to play with Burrow? Maybe not. But if it’s for the same amount, then at least one agent is pushing his player to Cincinnati to play with Burrow.

“I want to stay there,” Bengals GM Duke Tobin quipped when asked if Burrow makes Cincinnati a destination for free agents. “The people that cover him, they don’t want to trade him out to cover someone else. He’s the real deal. Our job — like I said when we drafted him — is to support him in the best way we can. … Having Joe, I think players really respect Joe.”

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-nfl-scouting-combine-joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals-free-agent-destination-washington-commanders-qb-2022

That's someone other than Gronk. Really happy to hear that players are indeed asking about coming to Cincy now. 

• Like 1

Yes interesting for sure.

Honestly though, I would guess that any player that views a team as a Super Bowl contender would be somewhere they would want to go or that their agent would push them to.  The fact that it appears to more "Burrow specific" as opposed to just being a contender is what is really intriguing to me. 

I'm sure it will come in time, but I'm happy to not see commercials with Burrow plugged into a charger, giving some corny ass line.  Or maybe promoting some hot dog company with a big wiener getting sucked into your mouth.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Interesting - more confirmation of what we have been suspecting...

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-nfl-scouting-combine-joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals-free-agent-destination-washington-commanders-qb-2022

That's someone other than Gronk. Really happy to hear that players are indeed asking about coming to Cincy now. 

Hopefully Njoku. 

I am surprised by this drawn-out negotiation with Bates.  He just did the now standard scrubbing of anything bengals related from his IG.  Seems like a pretty straightforward negotiation.  He’s a leader, been very good for us, has a lot left in the tank.

They can’t be that far apart, there is no way they have wildly different views of his value.