2022 Offseason Roster Notes

HoosierCat

There's nothing I look forward to every year than the annual Hobsonization of the numbers. Sadly for Geof, this year he will have to get more creative since his best buddy, the Ookieray Oolpay, is much smaller this year. Last years No. 31 got a mere $11.3 million over four years, with a cap hit of just $2 million and change. Humphrey got $5.5 million at the end of the second and Stephens $3.8 million. Probably won't need more than $5 million total cap space to deal with the noobs.

Katie: "What's the matter dad?  Here's your favorite dip pen, and your sitting in Mr. Potter's actual wheel chair from 'It's a Wonderful Life,' why so glum?"

Mike: /Stares a thousand yard stare out the window, remains silent for several moments/ "Pumpkin, I literally see a mushroom cloud of red ink.  It's an apocalypse."

Katie: "What is dad?  What's the problem?"

Mike: "The problem?  A problem is an ingrown toenail, and by the way I currently have three, that's a problem.  This isn't a 'problem'" /attempts air quotes, pokes self in eye/ "This is a financial cataclysm.  I've tried to shield you from it pumpkin, but I guess you're a grandmother now so you're old enough to hear it.  I'm talking about Injury Settlement."  /experiences emotional breakdown, flees in Mr. Potter's actual wheelchair from "It's a Wonderful Life", powered by chassis and electric motor retrofitted from Rascal Freedom Power Wheelchair ($1,498.20 at Sam's Club)/

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Just came in from picking up some food and the radio notes that the Bengals and Jessie Bates were working on an extension they hoped to have done by weeks end.

Fingers crossed…

Yeah, he’s being a tease on Twitter tonight so I expect it’s done or nearly so.

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

He will get tagged no matter what if they can't get a deal done - so it isn't FA posturing. he won't be in FA this year. 

Well, stranger non-tags have happened…but yeah, I would be surprised if they let him test the market.

BENGALS TALK @BengalsTalk·39mWatched the Jessie Bates interview on @nflnetwork and my takeaways:

•He wants to remain in Cincinnati 
•He doesn’t have to be the highest paid at his position 
•He doesn’t want to be franchise tagged
•He is an impressive person, still can’t believe he is only 24 years old

Feels like a fairly typical standoff. Bates stands to make a fortune if he gets into FA. He might not feel the need to be the highest-paid safety, but in an open market he would be very likely to end up as that.

So. In order to induce him to sign and skip all that, the Bengals need to step up. But the Bengals have an ace in the hole in the tag. No, Bates doesn't want to be tagged, but few players do, for reasons that ought to be quite obvious.

Once that happens, maybe a deal gets done and maybe not. We've seen it go both ways. I've been fairly gloomy about re-signing Bates long-term. Still hoping the Bengals prove me wrong.

If this team doesn't re-sign him and doesn't tag him, then they deserve every bit of outrage the fan base will deliver, and more.

4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

If this team doesn't re-sign him and doesn't tag him, then they deserve every bit of outrage the fan base will deliver, and more.

I think you'd have to wait and see how it plays out.   Bengals have been burnt and they have also been very success at backfilling.

Last year with Lawson and Jackson being the most recent example.  Of course we played and lost to Whitworth a couple weeks ago. 

I would love Bates back, but its not impossible to back fill his spot.  It would be a risk in doing so but hopefully the deal is close enough that it gets done. 

Unfortunately, I could easily see a scenario that honors both sides presented by the FO. This would mean the Bengals don’t offer Bates something he can accept and they also honor his wish to not tag. I hope that doesn’t happen but when was the last time they used the tag?

Then consider what they are planning into the future with Higgins, Mixon, Reader, Burrow, and Chase all coming due for an extension.

The Bengals tend to undervalue the safety and guard positions more than others on the roster. 

• Like 1

I'm with Mem on this one.  If there's no long term deal there is no chance they don't tag him.
Now if the tag results in him leaving in 2023, then so be it, but he's in stripes for 2022.

13 million is probably a little less than what his market value that a new contract would be anyway.
I love Bates, but I want to see NO PART of honoring his wish.

Just get the deal done and continue with the defense they have spent money on to build.
Letting him go in absolutely going in the wrong direction.

They should sign Bates.  

The old thinking: be very careful signing 2nd or 3rd deals with safeties because they wear out quickly, one day he’s good then he falls off a cliff.

The new reality:  safeties are no longer glorified linebackers who deliver 8 million hits as they stop the run.  Now the offenses dictate that safeties play more and more coverage, and Bates and his fellow safeties are going to have longer careers.  They’re not even allowed to deliver knock out hits anymore.  Safeties have greatly benefited from the dual effect of rules that encouraged the pass and rules that encourage player safety.  

Sign Jessie Bates!  He’ll be good for another 4 years.  Maybe more.

• Like 1