2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Well with the Vikings TE Conklin signing with the Jets at 7 million per year and that being too much for the Bengals, I think it's safe to rule out Hooper as well.
There's simply no way they are going to get someone in here that cheap.  You can want a younger guy around his second deal all you want.
However, the market simply suggests you aren't going to get those guys for 5 million a year any more.  Well, unless they simply aren't that good.

I'm beginning to think TE moves up the pecking order for the draft where they can get a guy for 4 years and peanuts.
Think about it, Uzomah signed a deal with the Jets that pays him more annually than Ja'Marr Chase's rookie deal pays him.

30 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Well with the Vikings TE Conklin signing with the Jets at 7 million per year and that being too much for the Bengals, I think it's safe to rule out Hooper as well.
There's simply no way they are going to get someone in here that cheap.  You can want a younger guy around his second deal all you want.
However, the market simply suggests you aren't going to get those guys for 5 million a year any more.  Well, unless they simply aren't that good.

I'm beginning to think TE moves up the pecking order for the draft where they can get a guy for 4 years and peanuts.
Think about it, Uzomah signed a deal with the Jets that pays him more annually than Ja'Marr Chase's rookie deal pays him.

The only move we make regarding TE will be in the draft....at least that is my opinion.   There just aren't enough footballs to have Chase, Higgins and Boyd approach 100 targets and a TE to be a major impact on this offense.  I would 1000% rather spend the money on JC Tretter than Austin Hooper.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

The only move we make regarding TE will be in the draft....at least that is my opinion.   There just aren't enough footballs to have Chase, Higgins and Boyd approach 100 targets and a TE to be a major impact on this offense.  I would 1000% rather spend the money on JC Tretter than Austin Hooper.

They had an offer out to CJ and then tried to get this Conklin guy.   I think if there is a TE they like they'll try to get him for the right $$

When considering all the weapons at Burrow's disposal and thinking about how much people should get paid, it sounds like a game show.

Johnny, welcome to the stage our next group of contestants for a round of... "WHAT'S YOUR TARGET SHARE" ??

I took a look out of curiosity and here's where we were when looking back at 2021 targets among the position groups.

8 WR's - 359 Targets or 67% / 332 or 92% of those were by Chase, Higgins and Boyd
4 RB's - 98 Targets or 18% / 79 or 80% of those were by Mixon and Perrine
3 TE's - 83 Targets or 15% / 63 or 75% of those were by Uzomah

Seeing as how the Bengals were interested in bringing back CJ and then showed interest in Conklin, only to not want to pay them what they got, I can't say that I blame them. The Bengals only targeted the TE's 15% of the time with Uzomah's share of the 540 total targets at only 11%.  The problem, as I see it, is the market for TE's in the space they are looking for one are going to cost them more than what they appear to be willing to pay.  With that being the case, the draft is looking like where they will fill that void.  A 2nd or 3rd round pass catching TE to go with Sample seems about right. 
I like this TE draft class as well for that need.

Take all that for what it's worth.

Don’t really understand the whole free agency money thing, I however do like to see who they pick up. Just find it interesting that the guys who they got still have not signed, guess because they didn’t show up to the building yet? Either way not sure they did enough on that o-line for my liking yet, would really like to see them out some money into protecting Burrow, guess will see if anything happens today. 

The way I see it specific to Cappa and Karras is that they brought in two above average interior o-linemen, that have experience and had success.
Both present as significant upgrades to what we had in 2021.  Doing that without dropping 20 million per year represent pretty solid moves to me.

Can / should they do more ??  Yes.  RT is still a glaring need to address and there are two players specifically that I would like to see them sign.
That no one else has signed them yet means the league sees them pretty much the same way the Bengals do.
Something tells me something will shake out.

Fingers crossed.