Broncos Eye Callahan; Raiders Trey Brown: Giants Lou; Golden gets ND DC job

HoosierCat

I'm just as baffled as everyone else. I wasn't aware being a competent NFL player made you HC material. Did Whines Hard coach a girl's softball team somewhere and we missed it? What experience does he even have to qualify him to be a strength and conditioning coach or hell, even a cheer leader?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I dunno, seems like not enough to fire a guy for, especially when the team was clearly improving. Not all his draft picks worked out but who's does?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Success attracts vultures, as usual. Zim, Hue, Jay Gruden, etc. Any time the Bengals are good they swoop in and the FO doesn’t always fight like it should.

There’s zero teams that would or should interfere with someone going for a GM promotion. 

LaCanfora:

Taylor's offensive coordinator, Brian Callahan, is starting to get his first requests to interview for head coaching jobs, and if something does not come together this cycle, you can expect him to be among the hottest names this time next year. The buzz will only grow stronger. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-divisional-round-teams-provide-clues-about-potential-head-coaching-hires-in-2022-and-beyond/

I wish I had a better handle on who (between Zac and Brian) does what (playcalling, play design, game planning, halftime adjustments, etc.) on offense. Losing Callahan could be everything, nothing or something in between.

From everything that ZT and Callahan themselves have said, it is a collaberative process that involves not just those two but also the QB coach Pitcher and...Joe Burrow has some input. If Callahan goes, Pitcher likely promoted to OC. He has been interviewed on a number of the pods - Locked On and HTPG both, I think, over the last year. 

• Like 1

Cincinnati Bengals OC Brian Callahan: 'Focus is 100%' on playoff game, not interview with Broncos

12:00 PM CT

Ben Baby

ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said balancing the prep work for Saturday's playoff game against the Tennessee Titans and his upcoming interview for the Denver Broncos' coaching vacancy is really easy.

"My focus is 100% on this game and to our players," Callahan said. "There's no other focus for me."

According to a report from Sports Illustrated, Callahan is expected to interview with the Broncos on Thursday, two days before the Bengals face the Titans in the AFC divisional round. If Cincinnati wins, the Bengals will play for a conference championship game for the first time since 1988.

Callahan said that outside of the team's preparation for Saturday's road game against the Titans, any preparation for his interview with Denver comes on his personal time.

"It's later at night, early in the morning, if I need to prepare for something," Callahan said. "And these are things that you slowly prepare for over time and you get a chance to collect your thoughts on your time."

Callahan was with the Broncos from 2010 to 2015. He started out as a coaching assistant and worked his way up to being the team's quarterbacks coach when Denver won the Super Bowl with Peyton Manning at the end of the 2015 season.

Before this season's Bengals game against Denver in December, Callahan reflected fondly on his time with the Broncos.

"Denver is a special place for me because that was my first job; when I was 25 years old I got hired in Denver," Callahan said. "I more or less advanced in the profession there. I met my wife there and my daughter was born there and we won a Super Bowl there.

"Then when I left, I left for a promotion, so there are a lot of good feelings I have about Denver."

The son of current Browns assistant Bill Callahan said that his interview process with the Broncos is akin to a Most Valuable Player award or a Rookie of the Year award.

"You get individual benefits from the collective success," Callahan said. "That's certainly where I'm at right now. It's an honor to be included in a process like that. But I would never take anything away from my preparation for a game of this magnitude."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33100706/focus-100-playoff-game-not-interview-denver-broncos

10 minutes ago, COB said:

Our coordinators seem to benefit from the “well, if they did it in Cincinnati, they can do it anywhere” ethos.  The last two (zim and Gruden) both had moderate success as HC then got fired.  

This. And it is supremely frustrating. 

Good point, Zac. Simmons ought to have similar credibility at least to what John Harbaugh had as a STs guy. Teams were awesome yesterday too without arguably their best player (S. Morgan). They had the kick catch interference obviously, though I think that was an unfortunate case of a fair catch called late enough that it screwed up Flowers' timing (and he obliterated two returns after that).

Apparently the Saints may be in the market for a new head coach too.

On Sunday morning, NFL Media reported that Sean Payton has not committed to returning to coach for another season in New Orleans. He has been on vacation for more than a week, and has reportedly "gone dark" on several people who are close to him. It's thought maybe Payton would take a year off from coaching in 2022, but sources told NFL Media that if Payton did step away for a season, he would likely return to coach with a different team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-head-coach-sean-payton-could-take-year-off-then-coach-for-new-team-per-report/

I think it's laughable to simply think that because a coach has success in one place, he/she could simple replicate that elsewhere.

Who is the QB for the 4-13 Giants again ??  Oh yeah, Daniel Jones who has a year left on his rookie deal and would carry an 8 million cap hit to cut.
What play makers does that roster have on it ?? Fucking average at best.

Just like Callahan thinking of leaving and joining the Broncos and that abortion of a team.

If people TRULY think it's more about the coaches than it is the players, I can't wait to see how they fare in 2022.
My guess is the Bengals will be competing again in 2022 and those two teams (regardless of new coaches) will be watching from home.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

If Callahan were to leave Joe Brady would announced the next day.

doubt it. Brady was fired after failing badly in Carolina. Everything I've heard is that qb coach Pitcher moves up to OC if callahan leaves. 

7 minutes ago, membengal said:

doubt it. Brady was fired after failing badly in Carolina. Everything I've heard is that qb coach Pitcher moves up to OC if callahan leaves. 

I suppose it would come down to Burrow's preference...he knows both guys so....

It is easy to fail when Sam Darnold is your starting QB.  It is also easy to succeed when you have Burrow, Chase, JJ, and CEH....so there is that.