Week 1 2021: Vikings at Bengals Game Thread and Post-game chatter

membengal

Who Dey! 

Tried to give it away then stole it.   Thought for sure that fumble was going to get over turned.

Too much pressure on Burrow today,IMO.   Hopkins is going to have to step it up because there's no experience behind him.   However, the dude they got for Price tore it up.

D-line was dominant. 

O-line's pass protection HAS to get better.  Really missing a speedy change-up RB (where's Evans??).  Fix the soft coverage over the middle on Def.  Get someone in there for Apple and get Hodge involved in the blitzing.  I hope Burrow's knee is OK.  Taylor had to have that game, would not have looked good if they had lost, and his margin is very thin with the fans here I think.

1 minute ago, volcom69 said:

I just want to know if Joe changes that last 4th down call to that amazing play, because the way Taylor was calling plays I was expecting to see a Mixon stuff there. I loved that play!!!

Post game indicated they've had that play in for 3 years or something.  CJ isn't even the target choice just worked out that way.  They ran it this week in practice and CJ's number came up in practice and it came up today.

16 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I just want to know if Joe changes that last 4th down call to that amazing play, because the way Taylor was calling plays I was expecting to see a Mixon stuff there. I loved that play!!!

Per Zac it was one of two plays Burrow had the option to run. I assume the other was a run. He came to the line, read the d and chose the pass, apparently. And here we are…

edit:

I don’t know what to do with Zac Taylor right now.

We got the win, and it will be rightfully credited to his record. But hell, every time I wanted aggression he was conservative and every time I wanted conservative he was aggressive. That doesn’t make him wrong. My head is spinning.

5 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I don’t know what to do with Zac Taylor right now.

We got the win, and it will be rightfully credited to his record. But hell, every time I wanted aggression he was conservative and every time I wanted conservative he was aggressive. That doesn’t make him wrong. My head is spinning.

I think that Q1 was basically preseason for the first team o. Remember they only got 3 snaps all together. (Same for the Vikes o btw.) Then they got a lead and Zac overcompensated for the early conservative play and it blew up in his face. Then in the second half Burrow took some hits and showed a little damage and he overcompensated again, preferring to take an L versus losing Joe again. And finally you got to OT and at first it was basically play for the tie and keep Burrow safe, then they got a gift, took a shot and won the game. Hopefully with the first game done everyone including Taylor will all settle down.

22 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Am guessing someone's going to have a sore knee: 

Yea hopefully that’s all it is and happy the doc said that. Hopefully pass protection gets better as the weeks go forward, I know he is going to take some shots, but I thought it was getting ugly on some of those drives. The o-line was better then last year, but still a ways to go

• Like 1

My thoughts---

---a good reminder that if Burrow can stay uninjured, he is THAT guy

---The line did fine protecting him - the worst hits came on questionable protection schemes (Sample/Perine on Hunter was no bueno - CJ missing an assignment and allowing a free blizter up the middle)

---Enjoyed seeing them try and assert some dominance with Mixon - baby steps 

---I too hated ZT going for it - but in hindsight will amend that to...I hated the play call. At least ZT isn't scared

---Hated the play call on 3rd and 4 on first play out of two minute warning too - a 1st down there and game is over and instead a run. Thought maybe ZT got in his own head after the 3rd quarter going for it when awry

---The d-line were beasts. Especially interior. We can do some business as year goes on if that is the case. 

---They also did a nice job on Cook all things considered

--I guess after Apple's disastrous series he was 'aight but man I hope Wayans can get back. 

---What a fucking play from Pratt to force the fumble. Replay of Hill fumbling against Stealers - similar close call too.  I would have lost my shit if they had overturned the call on the field since Hill's fumble stood in the playoff disaster

---Glad to see Chase bury the narrative right away. He and Higgins and Boyd are going to be such a matchup advantage.

---God Mixon looked good. 

---Having McPherson is...well...it's so damn nice. 

---Glad to see some breaks come our way - feels like we just need a little oxygen to feed the spark here. Burrow can lead this team to great places. 

• Like 1