Round 2 Pick: Jackson Carman, OT, Clemson

HoosierCat

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

I think it speaks volumes that they identified him early and did their homework.  It really doesn't matter what Mel Kiper, or Daniel Jeremiah, or I think of the prospect, only what the coaches think.  Frank Pollack has been coaching offensive line for 40 years, seen it all and stuck his neck out to draft this guy.  They spoke to his line coach in college, his head coach in college, his HS coaches, the guys that he was training with and his surgeon.  They had many zoom meetings and decided that out of a very deep offensive lineman pool Carman was the guy they needed.  They didn't panic and just took the next guy on their list and they didn't half ass the preparation.  This is their guy and I am perfectly comfortable with the process they used to choose him.

And one other thing,.  People are talking about this as a huge reach.  I have seen no mock draft that did not have Carman drafted in the second or third rounds, at pick #46 that was not a reach....it would have been at #38 so kudos to the draft team analyzing the board dropping down, getting extra impactful draft capital, and still getting the guy they wanted.

Paul Alexander on the radio:

1. He and Willie gave info to Bengals.  Paul knew they would take him.   Called Jackson after the trade down and told him not to worry or something like that. 

Paul thinks he is a first round talent.   The longer arm measurement was confirmed twice. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

I mean, what insane value on trading back 8 spots and getting two 4ths this year. Everyone (including me) said PFF trade algorithm on its mock simulator as being unrealistic and too easy on accepting trades that felt lopsided but I am not certain that I could have talked it into that deal. 

Someone, Dehner I think, hauled out ye olde trade value chart and checked the numbers and it worked out almost perfectly, like 2 points in the Bengals favor iirc. So for all the talk that the traditional chart is outdated we know at least one FO that still uses it.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

hopefully most or all of our picks turn out better than Jeffro

Isn’t it neat that he’s only the second or third worst center we’ve had in the last 15 years? Price gives him a run, but neither holds a candle of suck to Ghiaciuc.

50 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Isn’t it neat that he’s only the second or third worst center we’ve had in the last 15 years? Price gives him a run, but neither holds a candle of suck to Ghiaciuc.

This is very true and painful too.  Hopkins is a stud , a little Richie Braham

13 hours ago, Stripes said:

I think Price is clearly the worse center they've drafted out the group.  Ghiaciuc wasn't good at all but nothing has been bad as Price, IMO.

8 minutes ago, GapControl said:

If Anderson goes in , you have to put Corey Dillon in.  Look up Coreys numbers versus Jerome Bettis and Terrell Davis

I would agree.   Corey Dillon hurt himself by not playing a few more years and pad his stats like Bettis.

Bettis damn lucky Palmer's knee got hurt or he'd wouldn't have had the Superbowl ring.

• Like 1

Nah, Price is a better C than either Guy-check or Bodine (and yes not a high bar). He is however an awful guard, and Hopkins is the better center. If it weren’t for Hopkins being hurt, I’d expect Hill to beat him out for a roster spot.

12 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Good watch.

Yeah but, they had Carman as a true Sophomore, they are giving him no credit for development into his Junior season also Clemson lined Carman up at LT which did nothing for him, he is a RG or RT I. The NFL.

In the HTPG that just posted, Dehner interviews Bengals director of college scouting Mike Potts. If you don't want to listen to the whole thing - if you go to about the 27 minute mark they discuss Carmen. Off the top of my head, some highlights (but you should listen to it):

----They absolutely drafted him w/ G and also T eventually in mind;

----His size and athleticism and toughness stood out for what they want to be on line and in this division

----Called the back procedure minor and ALSO said it stood out that he played the last five games with the issue to help his teammates rather than call it off and get the procedure right away - showed a dedication and love of the game that jumped out at then

---said even with playing with the back issue his tape was still very impressive on all levels

----confirmed he was on their radar early - as early as back in their discussions of the position back in January

There was more, but that's the quick highlights. Like I said, whole pod is, as usual, worth listening to, but if you want to jump that part, it is around 27 minute mark...

Carman and Smith are -- for me -- the key players in determining if this draft was a good one

If we end up with sturdy, better than average ORG and ORT starters out of those first two, I will consider this draft a success

the only other player I am really interested in watching right now is Ossai

A portion of the Morrison wrap-up on the rookie mini-camp practice today:

Feels good to be back, and the back feels good

Carman, a Fairfield High School graduate, had multiple reasons to be excited Friday as he put on the uniform of his hometown team for the first time in addition to making it through a practice without any back issues for the first time in seven months.

“It was awesome just being able to play football again,” Carman said. “It’s a blessing being able to be out there and moving around and feel loose, it felt great. Especially with what I went through in my pre-draft process. I was blessed to have a good team to do my surgery and a good team to do my rehab. I feel great right now.”

Most of the conversation with Carman centered on his first practice playing guard after being a left tackle at Clemson and FHS. The plan is for him to start at right guard, which is where he was working Friday.

“The number one thing is just getting reps,” he said. “The more you repeat something, the more it becomes muscle memory. Then you don’t have to think about it, you just got out there and do it. So just continuing to be on top of everything in my meetings, in my training and in my practice. Just continue to rep it and get experience under my belt is the best way to do it.”

After most of the players had left, Carman was still on the field having a prolonged discussion with offensive line coach Frank Pollack.

“We were working on me getting more comfortable in my guard stance and critiquing the nuances and different weight shifting and where my feet exactly should be,” he said. “Different weight angles and things like that. Just fine-tuning some things. I love coach Frank Pollack and everything he’s teaching me. He’s a great teacher and a great coach. I’m really excited learning from him so far.”