The Complete 2020-21 Offseason Plan v2

TJJackson

The Rapien Plan for FA:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-offseason-plan-free-agency-and-draft

summarized:

• re-sign WJ3 and Lawson
  • release underperforming vets to increase cap funds (he includes Gio and Uzomah.  I'd not include those two, personally.  I also think Geno needs to be re-evaluated.  was he or is he still injured or has father time finally gotten to him? Our crack medical staff should be working with Geno right fucking now)
  • sign a top right tackle and top guard

so in other words, pretty much that which is obvious to everyone except SoaG and our incompetent FO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Am I the only one that finds the popular rush to dump Uzomah obnoxious?

I would feel kinda bad. CJ's a great guy. But......good teams are kinda cutthroat about such decisions, no?

5 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Am I the only one that finds the popular rush to dump Uzomah obnoxious?

well, I stated two posts back that I dont want to toss Uzomah, so will you let me into the clubhouse?

Im not even sure I want to toss Geno, and this isn't just because I have loved this guy so very long.....its because I remain unsure if he was still playing injured last year.

Was he?  will we ever know the truth of the matter?  Hopefully, but I doubt it

• Like 1

Thats kinda where I am,too, Stripes, but I really want the due diligence medicals and workouts done to see if he really and truly is done before we cut him loose. 

If he's say 80% of what he was, I say keep him despite the salary cap hit. Otherwise, thats too huge a hit on the cap to keep him around

also like you, he's one of my absolute favorite Bengals of all time, right up there with [look to the left]

Mem, Wraith, everyone:   

in 2020, New Guy was far far FAR better at throws of under 20 yards than on throws exceeding 20 yards. 

I know of course that completion percentage for ALL QBs drops the further the throw range is, but as I understand the stats, New Guys completions beyond 19 yards dropped off far faster than most QBs

what I want to know is: is the general feeling that this was due mostly to the piss poor OLine....ie, by the time a receiver got 20 yards or more downfield Joe was in or about to be inthe dirt

......or......

that New Guy is really more of a short to Intermediate range thrower?

If it is the latter, wouldnt the right approach be......as far as adding receivers (WRs or TEs).....to focus on best hands and catch radius over best speed?

Dont take this as me focusing on WRs.....I still want OLs first and foremost, in both the draft and FA.

Just curious on your thoughts on this, because I have been up til now really only interested in WRs with elite speed to stretch the D

Very little separation....

1. The WR core devoid of a player that can beat their man within a split second at the LOS then gain an unrecoverable amount of separation.  That used to be AJ Green.  Not anymore and John Ross never was.

Defense can play honest because of this and it shrinks the windows to throw into downfield.

2. The line is bad.   The QBs head is big factor in having confidence in the deeper throws requiring more time.   But an equal factor is the Bengals could not kill a defense running the ball against minimal fronts. Or make a team pay for pass rushing only 4 with stunts.    This again shrinks throwing windows downfield as you are a lot of 4 across coverages etc.

The first Pittsburgh game is the best example.   Washington prior to the injury is too. 

The fact he was able to excel at all facing these disadvantages shows that he is deadly pre snap and post snap.   Qualities he was known for in college that clearly translated in the NFL.   This is the stuff ZT doesn't get enough credit for.

13 hours ago, membengal said:

I would feel kinda bad. CJ's a great guy. But......good teams are kinda cutthroat about such decisions, no?

If by “such decisions” you mean cutting a guy who was clearly a big part of the 2020 plan, had nearly 90 yards and TD in less than two full games and wouldn’t free up a major amount of cap space, I’d say no, most teams don’t cut their own throats like that. But of course this is Cincy, so...

10 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Thats kinda where I am,too, Stripes, but I really want the due diligence medicals and workouts done to see if he really and truly is done before we cut him loose. 

If he's say 80% of what he was, I say keep him despite the salary cap hit. Otherwise, thats too huge a hit on the cap to keep him around

also like you, he's one of my absolute favorite Bengals of all time, right up there with [look to the left]

Yup.

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

If by “such decisions” you mean cutting a guy who was clearly a big part of the 2020 plan, had nearly 90 yards and TD in less than two full games and wouldn’t free up a major amount of cap space, I’d say no, most teams don’t cut their own throats like that. But of course this is Cincy, so...

Um, a guy who is 30 who just tore his achilles at a position that needs...a good achilles. I can totally see cutting him for cap savings in these circumstances. Again, he's a good guy. And a useful player. But not sure he is $6 million good. 

6 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I think the Uzomah sitution could be indicative of new and better thinking down at PBS.  

Some very important facts about Uzomah - he was drafted by the Bengals, and when asked he took a very club friendly extentsion (3 years, 18 million) instead of waiting to hit free agency.  In years gone by, those two facts would have earned him Platinum Elite Status on Bengals Airline, and he could have barfed all over himself for 3 seasons and they would have kept him on the roster.  

The fact that there are rumbles about parting ways with him could be revealing a new attitude.  As in, you're a journeyman, you were servicable, but now you've suffered an injury that will leave you surely not the same player, so we're going to look to move on.  Very new thinking for the Bengals (if in fact this is the thinking, hard to tell with Mike's spy vs spy level of media savvy).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, membengal said:

Um, a guy who is 30 who just tore his achilles at a position that needs...a good achilles. I can totally see cutting him for cap savings in these circumstances. Again, he's a good guy. And a useful player. But not sure he is $6 million good. 

1 he just turned 28 last month.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/12/08/bengals-te-c-j-uzomahs-rehab-torn-achilles-going-really-well/6483658002/

Sorry . 28. Still old for TE. He’s average, at best. His rehab is going great? That is...meaningless. He’s coming off a torn Achilles at a position where you can’t assume he will be as good as before in terms of burst etc. I totally get why he is a potential cut casualty.

so this is in my opinion a great idea....actually, a F U C K I N G  A W E S O M E  I D E A 

really pumped about this one :-) G I M M E ! ! !

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/rams-right-tackle-rob-havenstein-available-via-trade-could-pique-bengals-interest

so what this article is basically saying is

1. the rams need cap relief.  Bigtime.  They're way over right now

2. the rams have, according to "sources" put Robert Havenstein on the market as cap relief

3. This guy is a ORT....ie just what we need.....29 yrs old with a PFF rating of 80 and 6/75M salary, and signed through 2022.  Just outstanding! :-)  and Zacky Boy would be quite familiar with him, if you like that sort of thing

contract details:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/rob-havenstein-16781/

pff rating:  https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/rob-havenstein/9490

wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Havenstein

4. The article says it'd take a 5h or 6th rounder, but I think it might take a r4 pick, or a low round pick plus a cheap but decent replacement player like Adeniji or The Big Johnson. The main thing the Rams need in this case is cap relief, so any pick (or low cost player) they get in addition to that is gravy for them

If I am a member of the Bengals FO, I am on the phone NOW to the Rams to start negotiating

Though I'd like it (a lot) better if he were 2 years younger,  I cant really think of a more perfect fit, honestly

29 and a 2 year contract remaining is solid

6'8" 330.  Jeebus.

Bobby Hart has almost exactly the same pay and cap hit as Havenstein.  we release him and its essentially a wash, which in turn would leave us with plenty of money to grab a TOP TIER OG to play the guard spot not taken by the better of Sua-Filo, Spain, or (god help us) Jordan

edit:  the source mentions the Bengals as a landing spot

On Uzomah: 

I like the guy.  Solid, hard worker, non complainer, special teamer (a big plus for me.....look to the left, eh?)

But 6M as mentioned earlier is quite a bit steep for a basically average TE with the question of how coming off injury will affect him

I guess it comes down mostly to whether the coaches have decided Sample is a 3 down TE, because Uzomah has imo been the best receiving TE since healthy Eifert

anyone got anything on what the coaching staff thinks of Sample as a receiver? (He's already established as being a good blocker}

two things I have been firm on for the pre-FA period in the offseason

1] Carl Lawson is a fuckign must-have, but please dont tag him

2] Bengals should be negotiating right fucking NOW with their own FAs

well, as best I can tell from looking at this tweet.....

.....the Bengals ARE talking to Lawson (good) but they threatened him with the tag (really really REALLY fucking bad)

oh dear lord, why cant we ever have any decent negotiators in our worthless FO?

NEVER EVER EVER threaten with the tag....it just alienates the player you're trying to keep

Backup QB is something we arent talking much about

but

given that we cant be absolutely certain New Guy will be able to play game 1, or even most or all of the whole season......we absolutely need a solid backup

should we wait for cap casualties that may never happen or should we dive into FA (possibly including our friends Andy Dalton or Mr Katherine Webb) looking for one?

On 2/19/2021 at 12:40 AM, TJJackson said:

On Uzomah: 

I like the guy.  Solid, hard worker, non complainer, special teamer (a big plus for me.....look to the left, eh?)

But 6M as mentioned earlier is quite a bit steep for a basically average TE with the question of how coming off injury will affect him

I guess it comes down mostly to whether the coaches have decided Sample is a 3 down TE, because Uzomah has imo been the best receiving TE since healthy Eifert

anyone got anything on what the coaching staff thinks of Sample as a receiver? (He's already established as being a good blocker}

As the article noted he was set to be cleared for action in March so they should get a good idea in the next few weeks.

I’m really not concerned about the money. Cutting him doesn’t actually get you all that much. There would still be a million in dead money on the books and it would cost another 600k to replace him with a vet minimum, so you only really free up about 4.5m. And at 37m (at least) in space right now the Bengals aren’t in desperate need of room.

Let us all get down on our knees and pray that this doesnt occur

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/cincinnati-bengals-willing-to-use-franchise-tag-on-carl-lawson

This, my friends, is why you stop sitting on your hands and get negotiations underway during the season and playoffs (that youre not a part of) and not at the LAST FUCKING MINUTE

If the tag is applied on any day other than THE very last day to negotiate, I will take that as a sign that we have a very hostile Lawson for one more year and then he's gone

If thats the case, why even tag the guy? Hear me out here.  Its not like we're going to the playoffs in 2021 if we do have him.  Save the money and spend it on other talent that we have the chance to retain beyond a year.  Take that 16ish M you'd spend on a rental on Lawson and either extend a valuable player like Jesse Bates -or- sign an above average player for 3-5 years for that same sum of money

again, the above paragraph only applies if they get to the point of deciding the only way to keep Lawson is with a tag