Bengals @ Ravens Game Thread

Stripes

Last year - Lamar Jackson's two games against the Bengals:

Game 1 - 152 yards rushing, second-most in NFL history by a quarterback (regular season)
Game 2 - Perfect 158.3 passer rating

Even today the defense was shaky, and outright horrible at the end of both halves. If that doesn't change immediately, this is a loss and probably a bad loss. Jackson will feast on that shit.

I guess they could get  blown out.   Wouldn't be a shock to see Lamar torch the run defense.

As noted above Burrow is 4-0 vs. the number.   I think this will be closer than most think, but I would be completely shocked with a Bengals victory.    Burrow is becoming a QB that keeps you in games no matter what and IF you can get Mixon rolling those factors are good enough to make for some nervous outcomes against team's that people judge to be completely superior.

The Browns are the only team they have faced this season that is even at .500 and their schedule hasn't been hard with the exception of the Ravens that kicked the shit out of them.
The Chargers, Eagles and Jags have won 3 games collectively.  I think that's why Burrow is 4-0 against the spread.

Fast forward to the Ravens game and yes, I think they get the shit kicked out of them as well.
I'll give up the 14 and go with the Ravens.  That team is stacked in comparison.

Would LOVE to be 100% wrong and see Burrow and the boys pull the massive upset here !!

• Like 1

Getting Mixon going against the Baltimore run D will be difficult, I think. They can be passed on though, right now their pass D ranks like 28th in yards (though 8th in points). If the oline can keep Burrow clean and they can turn the game into a shootout, then maybe they can pull off a miracle. Certainly in that case they cover. But again, I wouldn’t bet on it with Mike’s money.

Mixon definitely went off but Jax had given up an average of around 115 rushing yards a game coming in to yesterday. They might have been designed to stop the run but they ain’t been doing much of a job of it. By comparison Baltimore’s D is giving up around 75 yards a game on average.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

The Browns are the only team they have faced this season that is even at .500 and their schedule hasn't been hard with the exception of the Ravens that kicked the shit out of them.
The Chargers, Eagles and Jags have won 3 games collectively.  I think that's why Burrow is 4-0 against the spread.

Fast forward to the Ravens game and yes, I think they get the shit kicked out of them as well.
I'll give up the 14 and go with the Ravens.  That team is stacked in comparison.

Would LOVE to be 100% wrong and see Burrow and the boys pull the massive upset here !!

God you are sour nowadays. 

Jags are only team to beat the Colts and almost beat Titans.

Chargers damn near beat KC and were up on Bucs and pushed them all game to only lose by 7.

Browns are slaughtering everyone with their run game now, and Bengals had chance to win that one.

And Eagles just sent to SF and won. 

So, there, looking at it that way, maybe stop being such an eeyore?

I doubt they beat Baltimore, but if you are looking their first four games under Burrow and being this negative with as good as Burrow clearly is, I don't know what to tell you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Mixon definitely went off but Jax had given up an average of around 115 rushing yards a game coming in to yesterday. They might have been designed to stop the run but they ain’t been doing much of a job of it. By comparison Baltimore’s D is giving up around 75 yards a game on average.

ON THE OTHER HAND, they had not allowed more than 4.0 ypc before yesterday - 3.8, 3.6 and 4.0 so far until the Bengals gashed them, so, once again, on this board of eternal pessimism and constant sorrow, there is that.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Getting Mixon going against the Baltimore run D will be difficult, I think. They can be passed on though, right now their pass D ranks like 28th in yards (though 8th in points). If the oline can keep Burrow clean and they can turn the game into a shootout, then maybe they can pull off a miracle. Certainly in that case they cover. But again, I wouldn’t bet on it with Mike’s money.

Baltimore's run D kinda sux, relatively. 

1 hour ago, COB said:

If you mean he’s playing well, eh, I think he’s playing better.  He needs to step it up while he’s getting so many targets.

His blocking grades have been quite good, actually. And the end zone fiasco yesterday was a definite minus - but he has been a receiving threat otherwise. He's not looking like a bust at this point, in any event. Maybe not worth a 2nd round pick, ever, but still not a bust.

As for the rest of that, if you had told me Burrow would be a PFF grade near 80 four weeks in after the nightmare off-season and no real training camp, I would have been giddy. Still am. 

• Like 1

Sample gets this many snaps and targets the rest of his rookie contract that makes him worth a 2nd rounder.   That level of production would get a him a 2nd contract from somewhere.    If that happens then he probably out plays over 50% of the guys taken in rounds 1-4.

Wouldn't make him the BEST 2nd round player they could have taken.  That would probably be DK Metcalf. 

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Fwiw

I like pretty charts!    Certainly ALOT of season left to go, but the conflict is going to Bobby Hart.    Based on info from other boards and the PFF ranking level his run blocking is in the "starter" and maybe near the "elite" level.

If you mentioned that to your random Bengal fan on the street you'd probably end up having to fight them.   

Of course his pass blocking rating is horrible.     Thus blending him into an "average" tackle.

Jordan coming in at "below average" is also going to up for discussion. 

I'm excited to see what these Bengal do vs. the Ravens.    I wouldn't be shocked with a Ravens win and/or a blow out.     I would be shocked with a Bengals win.     I think we'll be more competitive vs. the spread.  

For the remainder of the year I think Joe Burrow will look like crap in at least 1 game.   I think he'll scalp some unthinkable upsets at least once too.