2021 NFL Draft

Yeah,  I think this year's FA market looks good for guards but are they really going to dump $10 mil of cap space or more into one?  I doubt it.

I'm also skeptical of the improvement you actually would get from FA vet tackle.    I'm leaning towards drafting the best tackle in the draft and hope it works out and the guy doesn't need a long ramp up time to get going.

• Like 1

The guy we need need at QB as the 2021 season starts will of course need to start right away.  I dont think we get that qb in the draft even if we draft at the 2nd slot (GO JACKSONVILLE!).  And I dont think Burrow will be 100% healed.  I want to wait til he is 100% healed.

....so....

that QB will need to come from the FA market.  I anticipate the Bengals going with someone's castoff backup or extremely old caretaker, like Flacco.  Imagine for a second....Flacco in Stripes.  Yeah.  I threw up in my mouth a little too.

...so....

from my POV, the Bengals should view this as an extension of last year, which was a rebuilding year.  Add at least 1 above average OL in FA and another drafted day 1 or day 2.  Extend WJ3, Lawson and Bates.  Sign a caretaker/proveit veteran QB to a one year deal to start, with plenty of incentives.   Need DT, DE and CBs in the draft.   

THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP OF ALL - get rid of Zak

so....just the draft

as I said before, the 1 year placeholder QB has to be a veteran.  So we wont seek that QB in the draft

I am confident New Guy will be back for 2022 fully healthy, so I also dont want to seek the new franchise QB with this draft either

Instead what I want to do is build a team to surround New Guy

I also want the 4 newbie linebackers (I count Pratt) to get time to prove their ability or lack thereof.  No linebackers this draft.

so with that in mind

R1.  Pass Blocking ORT.

I'd prefer to trade down a bit and pick up extra day 2 picks this year and/or next.  we need more than 1 guy.  There will be teams eager to trade up for one of the three top QBs. The first pick regardless should be a ORT, and we should trade down carefully with that in mind, ie we want to be in position before the ORT we want is taken.  bye bye Big Bobby.  thank god.

R2a.  Pass rushing DL. 

This is our original r2 pick.  Take whoever is the BPA between passrushing DT or passrushing DL.

R2b.  Pass Blocking OG

This is a pick we pick up in the r1 trade.  We have a lot of OGs but aside from (maybe) Spain (and we have yet to see Finney) they are all well below average

R3.    Man/Press Cornerback. 

I dont think the two FAs from this year are gonna stick around and Philips is declining. Huge plus if this guy returns kicks or punts

R4a.  Pass rushing DL

This is our original r4 pick.  If you took a DT in r2, take a DE here, or vice versa

R4b. 3 Down TE

This is a pick we pick up in the r1 trade.  I like Uzomah and Sample but I dont see either as more than average (except sample as above avg blocker)

R5     Pass Blocking OC. 

I think there is a tendency to overrate Hopkins simply because before Williams (and now maybe Spain) he was the only even average guy we had.  Price isnt it and is expensive for what we get -- nice guy but he needs to go to make room for less expensive backups.  time to try to find a new Center

R6      Speed Receiver

Hoping for a diamond in the rough here, another Housh.  Green and Ross are gonna be gone, and Higgins needs some help on deep routes.  Huge plus if this guy returns kicks or punts

R7a    K or P

This is our original r7 pick.  I love Huber dearly, but he's getting very very old.  Our K is missing easy kicks.  So for different reasons both need replacement.  Take one here and get the best in the college ranks at said position

R7b    BPA

This pick comes from the Dunlap trade.  Some top notch player drops here due to injury. Someone always does. Snag that player here then stash on IR to evaluate over the course of the next 12 months.

UDCFA Priorities: K, P, LS, Coverage LB, RB, TE, QB, S

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, two spins through the TDN draft tool and I am sold on possibilities of trading back. There are indeed a LOT of OT prospects available quite high. I went nuts with trades just now and ended up with 17 draft picks. SEVENTEEN. It was fun (3 CBs - 1st, 3rd, 7th rounds)(2 OTs - 2nd and 5th rounds)(3 edge DL - 2nd, 2nd, and 5th round)(3 Interior DL - 3rd, 4th, and 7th rounds)(2 IOL - 3rd and 4th)(2 WR 4th and 5th rounds)(1 safety)(1 RB)

Patrick Surtain II
CB, Alabama

Liam Eichenberg
    OT, Notre Dame

Azeez Ojulari
    EDGE, Georgia

Carlos Basham Jr.
    EDGE, Wake Forest

Jaylen Twyman
    IDL, Pittsburgh

Israel Mukuamu
    CB, South Carolina

Deonte Brown
    IOL, Alabama

Haskell Garrett
    IDL, Ohio State

Anthony Schwartz
    WR, Auburn

David Moore
    IOL, Grambling

Jeremiah Moon
    EDGE, Florida

Myron Cunningham
    OT, Arkansas

Ihmir Smith-Marsette
    WR, Iowa

Leon O'Neal Jr.
    S, Texas A&M

Rakeem Boyd
    RB, Arkansas

Trey Dean III
    CB, Florida
    Robert Cooper
    IDL, Florida State

•  

Using the PFF mock draft tool (only 3 rounds available now) - I traded back from 3 to Chicago's pick at 7 and got their second and third picks too. So five picks in first three rounds on that mock got me:

1st round at 7 overall -- Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU

2nd round at 35 overall -- Alex Leatherwood, T, Alabama

2nd round at 39 overall (from the Bears) -- Wyatt Davis, IOL, tOSU

3rd round at 67 overall -- Brenton Cox Jr. DL-edge, UNC

3rd round at 71 overall (from the Bears) -- Azeez Ojulari, DL- edge, Georgia

That would be...very accepetable...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, membengal said:

Using the PFF mock draft tool (only 3 rounds available now) - I traded back from 3 to Chicago's pick at 7 and got their second and third picks too. So five picks in first three rounds on that mock got me:

That would be...very accepetable...

Crazy good draft.  

Re-unite Burrow with Chase.   Re-unite Williams with Leatherwood.

Interesting tidbit of that mock that would give the Bengals

No. 1 high school tackle prospect class 2016 - Jonah Williams

No. 6 high school tackle prospect class 2016 - Michael Jordan

No. 1 high school tackle prospect class 2017 - Leatherwood

No. 1 high school guard prospect class 2017 - Davis

On 12/14/2020 at 11:46 AM, HoosierCat said:

Looking good fellas!

Not so fast!  Chargers being at 4 is a big problem.   Better hope they win a couple games.

Bears winning this week still has them at 15.   There is not an obvious answer to who would have the draft capital to make it worth the Bengals trading down from 3?   Does that compensation change IF Sewell's off the board for the Bengals?

No willing trade partner for No. 3 puts an easy scenario of Chargers/Jags swapping picks and Jags being able to get the same QB they would have anyway plus whatever compensation.  Allowing Chargers to steal Sewell.

We are rooting for Chargers and Dallas to win so the chances of trading up in front of Bengals are minimized.

We want the Houston pick Miami has to be at 4.  Do not want a tackle needing team at 4.   Probably need to beat Houston and Chargers/Dallas win.

Dallas at 4 would be a less threat because Jacksonville might not trade with them because Dallas could take a QB too. 

16 minutes ago, COB said:

Why would we trade when we have a massive need at a linchpin position, and a generational talent sits there for the taking?  

We’d be outsmarting ourselves.

It looks like a really deep draft at OL this year. And they need way more than one guy to fix this mess.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

It looks like a really deep draft at OL this year. And they need way more than one guy to fix this mess.

I get that.  But we could easily draft a bust in round 1.  The Oregon tackle looks as close to bust proof as we can get.  There will be an unprecedented amount of good free agents available this off season due to significant COVID-inspired salary cap reduction.  We have a one time chance to rebuild our team through FA, WHILE taking our tackle.  

• 2 weeks later...

version 2: 2021 draft

assumptions

• we remain at pick 3 at seasons end, probably by losing both remaining games, hopefully playing hard and competing right to the end
  • I am confident New Guy will be back for at least part of 2021 fully healthy,
  • a 1 year veteran placeholder QB has been signed. we wouldnt get that QB in the draft anyway
  • we re-signed or tagged or extended all of the following: WJ3, Lawson, Bates, Brandon Wilson, Mike Daniels, Clark Harris, and Kevin Huber  I'd like to have Alexander as well but dont think it goes.
  • we let AJ Green walk and released Geno.  I will always love both of them and will miss them terribly.
  • we let Fat Randy walk....Seibert takes over as K
  • John Ross also walks.  Please, no tears folks.......I'm sure he will go on to disappoint some other team and be paid well to do so
  • counting on Auden Tate to return as my WR2 (Boyd remains in the slot)
  • we signed one of the blue chip FA veteran OGs, preferably Scherff
  • unfortunately, no adequate trade offers for pick 3 are received, so we stay at pick 3

Intentions

• I want to focus on build a powerful offense - particularly the OL -  to surround New Guy.  I know we need defense too, but Rome wasn't built in day, nor will this team be made right in a single draft.  I'd rather support Burrow as fully as possible and make the offense as strong as it can be than try to shore up both a little bit.
  • I want the 4 newbie linebackers (I count Pratt) to get time to prove their ability or lack thereof.  So...no linebackers this draft.
  • Both my punter and my longsnapper - great guys, quality guys, love'em - are very old.  Father Time will find them sooner than later. I need to look to replace at least one and probably both
  • We have two great wideouts but I want to add that speedy deep threat that some of us had hoped Ross would become.

....so with that in mind....

R1.  Pass Blocking ORT.

I'd prefer to trade down a bit and pick up extra day 2 picks this year and/or next.  we need more than 1 guy.  There will be teams eager to trade up for one of the top 3 QBs. The first pick regardless should be a ORT whether we trade down or not, but in this scenario, we stay put.  Big Bobby can finish out his contract as a backup/swing tackle or perhaps a starting OG.   If it is Penei here, I suspect he'll play OLT and Williams will move to ORT, and I am mostly fine with that.

R2.  Three down TE or speed WR

Historically, we seem to do well drafting impact WRs in round 2.  That said, going BPA here between the best available three down TE and speed WR,  The speed part is non negotiable, as both Higgins and Boyd (while great) lack top speed, and Auden Tate doesnt have speed either.  I really dont know if there is a 3 down TE in this draft rated this highly, but I am hoping there is one.  All else being equal I prefer the TE here, as it will improve overall team blocking for Burrow's benefit far more than a speed WR would.

R3.    Pass rushing DL. 

I just cant neglect the D entirely.  Take whoever is the BPA between passrushing DT or passrushing DL, as we need both....but with Reader coming back I think DE is the bigger priority by far, so all else being equal gimme the DE

R4.    Three down TE or speed WR

Whichever we didnt take in R2 we take here.

R5     Pass Blocking OC. 

I think there is a tendency to overrate Hopkins simply because before Williams (and now maybe Spain) he was the only even average guy we had.  Price isnt it and is expensive for what we get -- nice guy but he needs to go to make room for less expensive backups.  time to try to find a new Center.  Bonus points if he can play OG, and **MAJOR** Bonus points if this guy can longsnap

R6        Man/Press Cornerback

I like Darius Philips.  I really do.  But the best ability is availability, and he is (unfortunately) hurt all the time.  Including right now, as I type this.  The other 3rd string corners we have are - at best - ineffective.  Seemingly we might as well have my dead gramma cover their guy instead.   So we need another backup corner.  We take that guy here.  Prefer raw talent and measurables (speed, arm length, height, quickness, high jump, you know the drill) over experience, as we dont expect this guy to play much (hopefully not at all) in 2021, and will be grooming him for more work in a couple of years.   Major major bonus points if this guy returns punts or kicks, or is a punt or field goal blocker.  Even in the absence of any of those qualities, he will have to be able to play some special teams.

R7a      Punter

This is our original r7 pick. I'd bet we can get the very best punter (or failing that, at least one of the top 3) in all of college football by picking early in r7. Bonus points if this player can also kickoff.  Love Huber, and his play in 2020 remained excellent, but have to concede that the dude is getting very old.  If there are no truly great Punters in this draft, I'd take the BPA at any position here but also (go ahead, laugh, I've got thick skin) strongly consider a long snapper (preferring a LB with coverage skills) here

R7b    Pass Blocking OG

This pick comes from the Dunlap trade.   We want an athlete here, technique/experience is not nearly as important, as we expect to develop this guy over time

UDCFA Priorities: In no particular order........LS, P, QB, Coverage LB, DL, S.  Honestly, we should have players from every position come in for a looksee

my faith in the development of the 4 young linebackers appears to be have some merit :-)

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/12/25/22198610/germaine-pratt-bengals-nfl-linebackers

as the article says he's been a liability against the run but if that doesnt improve at least we have a good nickel LB, something we didnt have in for a long, long time

• Like 1

Of the players we need to re-sign/extend/etc.......I honestly think Carl Lawson might be the most important of all

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/12/26/22198618/bengals-carl-lawson-contract-2021-nfl-free-agents-defensive-ends

Yes, I know Bates is the best rated safety in the league, and I know WJ3 is a superb cover corner. 

but

to me, there is a premium on getting to the qb - sacks, hits, pressures

and the PFF ratings say that not only is he second best rusher (behind Khalil Mack) but also 7th against the run

Mack is a acknowledged superstar, while Lawson is virtually unknown outside Cincinnati.  the very definition of underrated