Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Pure nonsense. Because YOU don't want them to look at IOL/Dickerson you are making shit up. Because the Bengals didn't do a second contract w/ Zeitler or Steinbach that means they won't take an IOL at 38? LOL. Get over yourself. The Bengals even made an offer to Zeitler this year - the Ravens beat it. 

two bad assumptions in your dream world.  You can live in it all you want.

1. Bengals draft board will mirror exactly what ever prospect listing your are reading at the time.  There's no chance a few prospects could grade differently.

2. The Bengals have blinders on at 38 for OL or bust.  So ANY prospect with OL next to them will do and trump BPA at any other position?

I think the short list of OL they would entertain at 38 is more exclusive.  Hopefully one of those players makes it through.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

It’s not going to be a long 32 picks.

No less an authority than Duke Tobin has flat out said they have starting grades on linemen they expect to there in the third round, “if not longer.”

The fear they are going to somehow miss out if they don’t take Sewell is nonsense.

Partly agree.   I don't think they need to take Sewell at 5.

That quote however doesn't opine on "when" they start.   It could also mean they actually do wait past 38 to draft OL.

Anyone that has read/listened to Bengals news recently knows if pick 38 goes by and its not OL...its riot time.

Its going to be a long 32 picks waiting/hoping there isn't a run on OL.

It could play out like the way we hope but the logic behind the thinking isn't very strong.

Bengals are going to pass on what the majority of Bengal fans declare as their BIGGEST NEED (OL)in order to address another need with BPA with 4 players off the board and none projected to be OL?  Yet with 37 players and a few OL off the board,  BIGGEST NEED TRUMPS ALL!

If they go BPA that fills another need at 5 (Chase or Pitts).  Common sense should tell anyone that there is some degree of BPA that any potential OL prospect will have to pass to be selected.   Therefore its not as simple as counting players off a rando prospect list and saying there are X amount of targets.   Those targets would still have to beat out a BPA from another position group. 

Flip flopping on BPA/NEED between rounds is very similar to that era when it seemed they took 2nd round CBs all the time.

A lot of Bengal fans draft scenarios are trying to thread a needle.  First there has to be OL there.  Then the OL that is there, the Bengals have to grade them out at least in the ball park comparatively to other positions.  Then of course the OL prospect actually selected has to be an upgrade. 

How many of the targets projected at 38 this year compare to Robert Hunt selected #39 last year?   

Robert Hunt was a guy transitioning from Tackle to guard according to draft profiles.  Had fairly decent prospect reports.  Some said future pro bowler.

Up and down rookie year but overall decent year.      Obviously the Bengals passed on a prospect graded this high last year in favor Jordan and Xavier starting on opening day.

My guess is this is the bar any prospect would at least have to meet in order for Bengals to pull the trigger at #38 for OL. 

Cody Ford is another comparable.   Drafted #38.     There were actual rumors the Bengals were actively trying to trade up for him during the draft.  

Both Ford and Hunt are former tackles transitioning into guard at NFL level.    He's been down way more than up according to PFF.   Some injury issues 2nd year.

I think any prospects this year would have to grade out better or the same as Ford and Hunt and have a similar profile in order to have a chance to be selected.  

22 hours ago, membengal said:

For those wondering about WRs on the Consensus Big Board between 30 and 55 if we go Sewell and need to hit WR in round 2:

Marshall -34
E. Moore - 35
R. Moore - 36

Outside of that range - Bateman was 28 and K. Toney 29 and Dyami Brown was 62.

My targets for 38 at WR if they take Sewell at 5 remain Bateman or Marshall if they slip to 38 or reach for Brown. The others on here are slot guys for sure (R. Moore) or slot guys who you have to hope can learn the outside (E. Moore and K. Toney).

Sewell and any of those WR’s are< Chase and any OL available at 38

15 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

If you could assure me that Bateman or Marshall would still be there at #38 I would be fine with that....But I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that either of those guys are there at #38, their skillset is rare in this draft and that means they will be a commodity and thus over drafted.  It is likely that the WRs that draft are the slot guys that we do not need.

That piece of shit Kiper mock where he gave the Bengals Tutu Atwell in round 2?

Atwell's measurements just came out - 5'8" and 149 pounds. NOT a typo.

Also, D. Smith measured just under Chase in terms of height and is just 166 pounds.

52 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

IMO,  Slater/Sewell + Marshall beats Chase and whatever OL.  

I doubt Marshall makes it to 38. 

My indicators for grading this draft.

1. If the Bengals draft Chase or Pitts.  If Sewell goes at 6 or 7.  They may have messed up.  The further Sewell drops IF the Bengals pass on him that justifies his actual standing.  At least in my mind.

2. If Bengals go Chase and then Marshall appears at #38.   Unlikely, IMO.  But there was probably more value they could have had waiting on WR IF that happens. 

I think guys are trying to sell the narrative that the Bengals NEED to draft Sewell, so they are giving guys to the Bengals at WR #38 that just don't make sense.  They have statistically the best slot receiver in the NFL (seriously look at PFFs statistics in the slot), they do not need another slot guy, they desperately need an X.  A do it all guy who can be a threat at all levels of the field, they do.not.have.that.guy.

They threw the ball 102 times to AJ to force that but AJ wasn't that guy in 2020.  You put Chase on that team last and throw him the 102 passes you threw to AJ, we win 7 of the 10 games we played with Burrow last season before the injury.  It really is that simple.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I think guys are trying to sell the narrative that the Bengals NEED to draft Sewell, so they are giving guys to the Bengals at WR #38 that just don't make sense.  They have statistically the best slot receiver in the NFL (seriously look at PFFs statistics in the slot), they do not need another slot guy, they desperately need an X.  A do it all guy who can be a threat at all levels of the field, they do.not.have.that.guy.

They threw the ball 102 times to AJ to force that but AJ wasn't that guy in 2020.  You put Chase on that team last and throw him the 102 passes you threw to AJ, we win 7 of the 10 games we played with Burrow last season before the injury.  It really is that simple.

That's just more leads/points for the defense to give up off last year's team.

The Bengals line sucked last year and all they've done so far this year is RR.   Yes, they do need the "X" at WR over any more slot, contested catch type WRs.

Most mocks are based off need.  So it makes sense for people to try to cover both. 

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Yup. Part of it (especially when you're talking about the national media types) is just laziness. Bengals line bad, Burrow got hurt, Sewell best OL, and hey presto! he's the pick at 5. These guys will happily bash the Bengals if they go any other way because it's an easy narrative and fits the general perception of them as a bad franchise (which is admittedly well-earned).

I think there's also a group that very much does not want Chase or Pitts -- or frankly any other exciting, marketable player -- to go to Cincy. It's the same reason they didn't want Burrow there last year: they can draw more eyeballs and clicks and ad revenue with Burrow in, say, NYC or Dallas or Miami than they will with him in small-market, relatively small fanbase Cincy. Same with Chase to a lesser extent. By contrast, OT is from a media perspective boring. They only time you hear their name is when they screw up. No one tunes in to watch an OT block. So from that perspective Sewell is the perfect pick.

One thing I found fascinating in the last week or so -- pretty much coinciding with Chase becoming a legit possibility at 5 -- is how all of a sudden there is so much talk about how deep the WR class (allegedly) is this year. There's always been talk about the deep OL class but no real talk about the WRs until around the time Wright reported that Chase was the pick. Then this flurry of stories about a deep WR class began.

Again, not trying to make this a conspiracy or anything but I really do believe there's an element of the media that doesn't want Chase in Cincy for its own financial reasons. And we see some of that here.

• Like 1

And it is not just Atwell either, I have seen pick with Elijah Moore, or Rondale Moore, or Kadarius Toney, I even saw a mock draft with the Bengals reaching for Austin Watkins at #69 to fill that need after taking a defensive player at #38.  I do think it stems from laziness more than anything, people don't watch Bengals games because they aren't winning and aren't sexy so that just pick a WR and throw them a mid to late round bone whether it fits what the team needs or not because, frankly, they have no idea what this team needs they have not spent to time it takes to break it down, just like I really have no idea what the LA Rams need or Houston Texans....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

IMO,  Slater/Sewell + Marshall beats Chase and whatever OL.  

I doubt Marshall makes it to 38. 

My indicators for grading this draft.

1. If the Bengals draft Chase or Pitts.  If Sewell goes at 6 or 7.  They may have messed up.  The further Sewell drops IF the Bengals pass on him that justifies his actual standing.  At least in my mind.

2. If Bengals go Chase and then Marshall appears at #38.   Unlikely, IMO.  But there was probably more value they could have had waiting on WR IF that happens. 

Yes to #1 big time. 

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

You put Chase on that team last and throw him the 102 passes you threw to AJ, we win 7 of the 10 games we played with Burrow last season before the injury.  It really is that simple.

I hope this is true because that’s pretty much what we’re going to do.