Will There Be a 2020 NFL Season?

HoosierCat

Not sure if this has been posted yet elsewhere.  Those last 4 games are pretty rough, but 3 of the 4 are at home, over-all  it seems to be a favorable schedule possibly.

PRESEASON

Aug. 13-17, at Kansas City, (time TBD), CBS (Local 12)

Aug. 20-24, MINNESOTA, (time TBD), CBS (Local 12)

Fri., Aug. 28, at Atlanta, Friday, 8 p.m., CBS

Sept. 3-4, INDIANAPOLIS, (time TBD), CBS (Local 12)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGULAR SEASON (day, date, opponent, time, TV network)

Sun., Sept. 13, L.A. CHARGERS, 4:05 p.m., CBS

Thurs., Sept. 17, at Cleveland, 8:20 p.m., NFL Network

Sun., Sept. 27, at Philadelphia, 1 p.m., CBS

Sun., Oct. 4, JACKSONVILLE, 1 p.m., CBS

Sun., Oct. 11, at Baltimore*, 1 p.m., CBS

Sun., Oct. 18, at Indianapolis*, 1 p.m., FOX

Sun., Oct. 25, CLEVELAND*, 1 p.m., CBS

Sun., Nov. 1, TENNESSEE*, 1 p.m., CBS

Sun., Nov. 8, (BYE)

Sun., Nov. 15, at Pittsburgh*, 1 p.m., FOX

Sun., Nov. 22, at Washington*, 1 p.m., CBS

Sun., Nov. 29, N.Y. GIANTS*, 1 p.m., FOX

Sun., Dec. 6, at Miami*, 1 p.m., CBS

Sun., Dec.13, DALLAS*, 1 p.m., FOX

Mon., Dec. 21, PITTSBURGH, 8:15 p.m., ESPN

Sun., Dec. 27, at Houston*, 1 p.m., CBS

Sun., Jan. 3, BALTIMORE*, 1 p.m., CBS

Let’s assume the new free agents are all healthy and perform.  Burrow, though a roookie, plays well.  Our line continues on the arc from the second half of last season.  

in other words, let’s look at the best case scenario.  

Splittjng the season into two 8 game halves - in the first 8 we could beat the Chargers, Cleveland  twice, and Jacksonville.  That’s 4 very possible wins.  

In the second half we could beat Washington, the Giants, Miami, and Houston, for four more wins.

We could have 8 wins.  And none of those listed possible wins are an outrageous reach.  

If no other year, this is the year I would say it totally pointless to take a guess. New rookie QB, other rookie starters on both sides of the ball, and still a young coaching staff in their second year with the organization.

That being said, I’m going to go out on what I believe is a limb and call 10-6. Call it the Burrow effect if you will.

Agree TJ.  No reason for that nonsense.

On the plus side of planning for the upcoming season, I bought tickets today for the first home preseason game against the Vikings.
$10.00 a ticket at the 40 yard line 10 rows up in the canopy.  By halftime we will be sitting in the club level seats.

I love the preseason !!!

12 hours ago, COB said:

Man, it’s not looking promising for a regular NFL season.  

Nope, it isn’t. The league has already raised the possibility of moving the California-based teams elsewhere for the duration if the state won’t allow large gatherings, and Michigan’s governor has said they don’t expect to be “filling stadiums in August.” The heart of the outbreak here in Indiana is Marion County, aka Indianapolis, and what teams are going to want to travel to, stay in and play in Covid Central? It’s still a ways to September but I’m not optimistic.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

They can stage games without fans. Assuming player safety otherwise. That’s very much on the table.

Yep, it is. But that “assuming player safety otherwise” part is the challenge. I’ll wait to see what the league offers up should that scenario unfold.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing them move towards starting the season, but i'm still not buying at this point.

While I like seeing the amount of deaths not doubling anymore (10000 more this past week) there are reasons for that.
When things start to relax and people go back to how things use to be (gyms, restaurants, movies, church, etc) my concern remains the same.
What's to keep it from spreading further in the future?  The hope is that people remain distanced properly, wear masks, and continue hand washing.
Another concern are the people that simply don't believe any of it and still think it's all horseshit.  (See my next door neighbor)

Look, I could be and HOPE that i'm 100% wrong and have nothing to be concerned about at all. 
That being said, color me a continued skeptic.

• Like 2

MLS has started voluntary workouts already.

College Division 1 extended their dead period for recruiting.   However D2 athletics will lift their dead period May 31st which would allow schools to hold recruiting camps and campus visits for prospects.  So it then becomes up to the school. 

Not sure what was behind the NFL's extension but they have time. 

No doubt.  There are plenty of positives to view at this point in time.
Again, my concern is what comes next ?  What happens when it opens back up ?

College football ??  I want that as much as, if not more than, anyone else does.
That being said, there's no college football without college.  Still nothing to say how that's happening with any certainty either.

I really hope things go well and the season happens though.  NOTHING would make me happier.
Well...that might be a stretch to say nothing, but it's up there pretty high.

I think College Football could be in danger because you have different entities making the call.

However,  there is a lot of revenue from TV that supports entire athletic departments and smaller school programs.

Not allowing Alabama to crush East Dump Truck State on ESPN might force a East dump truck state to make cuts. 

Plus if you look at college athletic facilities not all that is paid for.  So there could be problems with that given a decline in revenue.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 7:59 AM, AMPHAR said:

Major League Soccer has opened their facilities.   I think FC Cincy starts work outs Friday. 

Kinda strange NBA and MLB are quiet on this. 

A little more from baseball last night.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29177183/repeated-coronavirus-testing-key-mlb-reopening-says-commissioner-rob-manfred

basically, no fans, testing multiple times a week for players and staff (there’s a lab that claims they can turn tests around in 24 hours), quarantine for anyone who tests positive until they test negative twice in a 24 hour period, and various protocols regarding sanitizing planes, reducing exposure, etc.

12 hours ago, COB said:

That baseball plan has one giant hole.  When one guy tests positive, they quarantine him, but I guess they pretend he hasn’t spent the last several days intermingling with his teammates and coaches.  

Well, since everyone is being tested all the time, I guess the theory is that they will catch anyone they infected, too. Of course, that suggests a problem, like what if they guy is a pitcher and infects the whole bullpen? What’s the NFL going to do if it’s Saturday morning and all of a team’s offensive line tests positive? Or all three QBs?