Trade Market for Dalton Heating Up

COB

While I’d like to believe this is the case, every time I see one of these headlines, when I trace down the story it’s just media speculation. As far as I can tell, there is as of yet no actual trade market for Andy. Doesn’t mean there won’t be one, of course, though personally I doubt it.

By all accounts, everyone is waiting for Brady to make up his damn mind.

Regarding Dalton, I stand with my last thoughts given that he has value and a trade could and should happen.
17.5 million is chump change for a QB that has and can continue to start in this league.
That being said, if the Bengals had to pay some of that salary to make a trade happen, it would be worth it.

The Bears don't have a 1st, 3rd, or 4th, so I don't see them giving up more picks to make this deal.
Indy is intriguing as they have a very good o-line, Brissett at QB and their full allotment of picks, plus a 6th rounder.

Like I said before, time will tell.

• Like 1

The way i see it, we DONT trade Dalton right now no matter the offer

Not a typo. I said we DONT

Andy is a high ethics person. He will be willing help groom the new guy, unlike most other veteran QBs in this league who do not want to train their own replacement. He will also be willing to start early games to give way to the new guy if there comes a point in the season when the new guy is deemed to be ready to go

Best case scenario, the new guy is deemed ready to go before the trading deadline this fall and a playoff contending team not in the AFC North needs better qb play (probably lost their starter). We give them Andy for a premium "so you want to make the playoffs, eh? we got what you need" price that includes a R1 pick and at least one other day 2 pick.

Huzzah!!!!

Mike, if you're reading this, I need to give two weeks notice before I can take over as GM. My dead gramma wouldnt like it if I didnt give proper notice.

5 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Andy is a high ethics person. He will be willing help groom the new guy, unlike most other veteran QBs in this league who do not want to train their own replacement. He will also be willing to start early games to give way to the new guy if there comes a point in the season when the new guy is deemed to be ready to go

Best case scenario, the new guy is deemed ready to go before the trading deadline this fall and a playoff contending team not in the AFC North needs better qb play (probably lost their starter). We give them Andy for a premium "so you want to make the playoffs, eh? we got what you need" price that includes a R1 pick and at least one other day 2 pick.

Huzzah!!!!

Mike, if you're reading this, I need to give two weeks notice before I can take over as GM. My dad gramma wouldnt like it if I didnt give proper notice.

Staying in Cincy for a year isn’t the worst idea, for either Andy or the team.

Dalton is obviously the best choice to back up Burrow. No other QB would be as familiar with the team and capable of taking over at a moment’s notice should it be needed.

And has already been said, this is a tough year to be a FA QB. Lots and lots of talent available.  Might be a different story next year.

The challenge would be the money. I think for this to realistically happen, Dalton would have to be released, not find a starting job, and then agree to come back on a one year backup deal.

18 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Huzzah!!!!

Mike, if you're reading this, I need to give two weeks notice before I can take over as GM. My dad gramma wouldnt like it if I didnt give proper notice.

To get a job working for Mike:  you have to peruse the classifieds in the Enquirer, find his ad, send hard copy of your cover letter and resume’ on high bond paper to the addy in the ad.  Wait three weeks for interview.  Show up to interview.  Talk to Mike for an hour while he tries to determine if you are related to anyone he knows or has employed in the past.  Once he determines the answer is no, hit the bricks.

• Like 1

I like Andy.  I really do.  His salary also is nothing brutal.
However, his salary is not what this team needs to burden themselves with when considering other needs and 18.5 million to AJ.

Finley is going into his second year in the system.  He will get better and should be the backup headed into the season in my opinion.
Either way around, this team isn't on the cusp of a super bowl.  Build it for the coming years.
Picks for Dalton will move in that direction.

No team is trading for Dalton mid-season in my opinion.  Why ??
Would have to learn a new system, players, and have no contract beyond 2020.
Too much risk in giving up anything for that scenario.

56 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Huzzah!!!!

I would retain Dalton if the best offer was basically looked as "giving him away".   I wouldn't cut him and/or let him walk for some throw way 6th round or worse draft picks.

If the market is truly heating up for Dalton then it will be a decent offer.   If that happens you must take it.   One chance to get something for him. 

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

*shrug* I dont want the new guy to become the next Klingler, so I want him to have time to be groomed. Dalton's remaining 1 year on contract allows for that time. Nothing any of ya'all has said changes my mind on this

Yeah, I certainly get that thought and i'm not trying to change minds.  Hell, I can see all the reasons this makes perfect sense.

My thing is that 17.5 million could be spent on an starting RT to really nail things down for our boy Burrow !!!

17.5 million to the "Gimme a Lineman" foundation ??

No QB is 100% NFL ready, but some are closer than others.  I'm of the thought that Burrow is among the "closer than others".
I just find myself in "Camp Wannalineman" and am pretty sure 17.5 million will help start up the building of a line to ensure Burrow plays closer to the 100%.

Again, there's always the flip side to that coin.
One side has Dalton as the backup and the other has Finley as the backup. The coaching has already said they like Finley's projection within the offense.
I honestly think Dalton is gone with or without a deal and it's already a foregone conclusion.

My real question is, where the 17.5 million gets spent ??

OH SHIT, IT'S THE ROOKIE POOL !!!  RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

The coaches' appreciation for Linguine Noodle Finley is one of my biggest concerns about their judgment moving forward.

Dehner  was saying a few days back he thought Dolegala would leapfrog him on the depth chart fwiw.

Here it is from Callahan:

Callahan is watching the phase of the workout where the receiver is asked to track a deep ball. "The quarterbacks screw up this drill," Callahan says and that leads to a discussion in which he says he has no qualms about sophomore-to-be Ryan Finley being a backup if the Bengals go QB at No. 1.

It was here last year that Finley showed he was a nimble enough athlete in the shuttle and some of the jumps, but he's also a good example of how the combine is simply a part of the process. The major reasons the Bengals traded up in the fourth round to get Finley were his interview during his PBS visit and his North Carolina State tape that showed his consistent accuracy.

"I've never believed you needed to have a veteran (back-up quarterback). I think that gets a little overblown," Callahan says. "It can be a benefit. But it has to be the right one and it doesn't mean you can find the right one. A lot of those veteran guys want to play; they're not out there to back up. You have to find a guy willing to do that and wiling to mentor. They're hard to find and they generally tend to be expensive.

"I don't think you need to sign a veteran because you have a young starter. The right veteran mentor can be helpful, but I think if you've got a kid who is really mature and has the process down and we have a lot of really good coaches on our staff that can help that and have been around a lot of quarterbacks. I don't think it's make or break and we feel really good about Ryan Finley's trajectory. I'm encouraged by a lot of things I saw."

29 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Interesting idea here: Dalton + No. 33 for Indy’s No. 1 (13th overall). I’d take that in a heartbeat but it strikes me as a steal for Cincy that would never happen.

Done.  Accepted.  

• Like 1

I have seen discussions about this and most think the Bears should send a late round pick for Dalton and nothing more. Fuck that.

I think the reason for that is the fact the Bears don’t have many draft picks and don’t want to give up one of their two 2nd rounders. If I’m the Bengals, that’s what I’m asking for.