New CBA Near? UPDATE New Deal Done

HoosierCat

They expanded the playoffs in both 1978 and 1990 and the NFL world didn't end in either instance. Everyone got used to it pretty quickly. To the point where it was hard to remember what came before. Still less than half the teams make the playoffs under this proposal, and I like it putting a premium on teams trying for the #1 seed. 

• Like 1

What I appreciate most is that a third wild card team mitigates the bullshit that is an 8-8 division winner stealing a playoff berth from a second place 10-6 team. Stuff like that happens too often, and at least now the 10-6er ought to get in. The home/away dynamic is still jacked up, but I'll take it.

• Like 1

Some more details from pft:

Among the details included in the proposed Collective Bargaining Agreement that NFL owners approved on Thursday is a change to the rules governing players returning from injured reserve during the regular season.

Under the current rules, teams are allowed to designate two players for return each year. According to multiple reports, the proposal would up that number to three players.

Players are eligible to be designated for return after they spend six weeks on injured reserve. They are able to resume practicing at that time, but must remain on the list for eight games before they are eligible to be reinstated to the active roster.

That roster would expand to 55 players under the proposed CBA with the practice squad also growing by two players. According to those reports, it would grow by another two players in time for the 2022 season if players approve the deal.

I like the IR rules.   I think that would also indirectly decrease people's displeasure with Preseason a little.     The biggest gripe of preseason football is losing a starter in a meaningless game.   If there is an avenue for return for some that's good.

Mike definitely voted against this.   Wait we are giving them more money AND you are adding to my headcount?   I'm sure he voted no because my guess the revenue sharing piece isn't ironed out or something.

• Like 1

If the players had the spine to seriously sit down, they could easily get 50%.  I get why they can't, short careers, uncertain future, etc.  But if they had a charismatic, powerful, leader, this would be a lot more interesting than it is.  They just don't have enough business and labor knowledge on their side.  They have like 11 ex and current players.  I know Winston is still on the committee.  

• 3 weeks later...

With that done the 2020 cap has been set at $198.2 million

The Bengals will have $55.68 million in cap space. That already accounts for Glenn’s release. Andy is another $17.7 million that will presumably come free. Cutting Dre would net another $8.2 million.

44 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

So after Dalton goes and if they cut Dre, they have 80 million to play with ?? Typically the would really intrigue me, but I think I know how this story ends already.

Rookie Pool just showed up with a shovel, a large roll of plastic sheeting, and a couple bottles of bleach.  I wonder what’s up.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

With that done the 2020 cap has been set at $198.2 million

The Bengals will have $55.68 million in cap space. That already accounts for Glenn’s release. Andy is another $17.7 million that will presumably come free. Cutting Dre would net another $8.2 million.

Mike Brown after he orders Hobson to knock that down to around $5-7 mil:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There’s been talk of Mixon holding out for a new contract. Apparently changes in the new CBA would make it financial suicide.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/16/21223421/why-4th-year-players-chris-carson-joe-mixon-wont-hold-out-new-cba-seattle-seahawks-bengals-accrued

Pretty clear from reading that article that “financial suicide”, as Hoosier put it, is almost an understatement.  Basically, if he engages in a long holdout he could be playing a season or two just to pay the massive accrual of fines.

• Like 1

At risk to derail this from CBA discussion.  I do think it's important to have Mixon and Green around for Burrow's first 3 years.  2 years at a min.    Those guys are high end players that can put pressure on a defense.    RBs are easier to replace but would be harder for Cincinnati given the state of the OL.   Hopefully they can get it worked out.  

From the Mixon camp there's not much incentive to hold out, but hopefully no bad blood is created in contract negotiations.   Mixon seems to be an upbeat player for the Bengals, something they need.