Congratulations! Bengals First To Be Officially Eliminated from Postseason

HoosierCat

42 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

As much as Taylor has been outmatched, the complete lack of attention to the offensive line and defense was a borderline crime. When they signed Hart it was the death knell.

I would hope he'd have a say in those decisions, but apparently he didn't evaluate some of his new players very well.  The Hart and Brown signings reek of the Brown family to me for some reason though, just a waste of cap space.

I question Taylor's experience, he hasn't done much well so far, should've been an OC for a while and had success, before being hired as a HC in the NFL.  But whatever, they won't fire him, and there's no point in that at this point either really.

I wonder if Hue and Marvin are at home giggling a bit, that or Hue's having Cleveland PTSD flashbacks watching this.

13 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I would hope he'd have a say in those decisions, but apparently he didn't evaluate some of his new players very well.  The Hart and Brown signings reek of the Brown family to me for some reason though, just a waste of cap space.

The Bengals evaluated Hart Correctly and actually got it right.       Hart is a bad tackle with less than market deal.    IF they would have went after any of the top offensive linemen there is 1 golden ticket this past year and he was coming off a knee injury.    The other 3 are truly a waste of cap space and will be at least next year and maybe 2021. 

The Bengals have less than $6 mil tied up in Hart this year.  Less than $5 mil next year and they can let him walk before March and be out nothing in dead cap.   The flops below from last year's FA class.  They grade out better barely according to PFF but there isn't much difference.    Fans saw the total contract number for Hart and still to this day don't or won't understand the economics.  

1. Roger Safford - Top FA guard for the Rams.  Signed with Titans cap hit around 12 mil.  Dead cap 13 mil next year.  Bad PFF grade and based often by Titans fans.

2. Ja' Wuan James - Top FA Right tackle from Miami signed by Denver.  He sucked before FA and he doesn't play now.  Broncos got 19 mil in dead money with him. Played 32 snaps so far.  

3. Trent Brown - Finally playing for Raiders.   Still PFF grade of 66.5 and had domestic dispute problems.  Raiders have 21.5 cap hit for him. 

4. Daryl Williams - FA tackle from Panthers.  Coming off injury year.  Top player.   Took a 1 year deal with Panthers.  Playing at a high level and this is a guy they should roll the dice with, IF he hits the market. 

Sign players 1-3 and the line is still bad and you have to keep them next year.    Player 4 was the guy and didn't have much market because he had risk due to his injury.

13 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

The Bengals evaluated Hart Correctly and actually got it right.       Hart is a bad tackle with less than market deal.    IF they would have went after any of the top offensive linemen there is 1 golden ticket this past year and he was coming off a knee injury.    The other 3 are truly a waste of cap space and will be at least next year and maybe 2021. 

The Bengals have less than $6 mil tied up in Hart this year.  Less than $5 mil next year and they can let him walk before March and be out nothing in dead cap.   The flops below from last year's FA class.  They grade out better barely according to PFF but there isn't much difference.    Fans saw the total contract number for Hart and still to this day don't or won't understand the economics.  

1. Roger Safford - Top FA guard for the Rams.  Signed with Titans cap hit around 12 mil.  Dead cap 13 mil next year.  Bad PFF grade and based often by Titans fans.

2. Ja' Wuan James - Top FA Right tackle from Miami signed by Denver.  He sucked before FA and he doesn't play now.  Broncos got 19 mil in dead money with him. Played 32 snaps so far.  

3. Trent Brown - Finally playing for Raiders.   Still PFF grade of 66.5 and had domestic dispute problems.  Raiders have 21.5 cap hit for him. 

4. Daryl Williams - FA tackle from Panthers.  Coming off injury year.  Top player.   Took a 1 year deal with Panthers.  Playing at a high level and this is a guy they should roll the dice with, IF he hits the market. 

Sign players 1-3 and the line is still bad and you have to keep them next year.    Player 4 was the guy and didn't have much market because he had risk due to his injury.

This is the problem I have with the FO mentality. Woe is me. We’re victims of circumstance. They drafted a TE in the 2nd round instead of adding to the O line. Then didn’t capitalize with the remainder of the draft. Regardless of FA or draft, they failed. Bringing back Hart was TERRIBLE aesthetics. Terrible.

1 minute ago, cincyhokie said:

This is the problem I have with the FO mentality. Woe is me. We’re victims of circumstance. They drafted a TE in the 2nd round instead of adding to the O line. Then didn’t capitalize with the remainder of the draft. Regardless of FA or draft, they failed. Bringing back Hart was TERRIBLE aesthetics. Terrible.

Yeah but you are trying or least were trying to make a point about Zac Taylor not evaluating his players correctly.   They got it correct.    

Hindsight is 20/20 and we can now see that they did get it correct and missed some bad signings.     Sure Hart is a low tier tackle  but he has a contract representative of that talent and going into next year they can retain him for depth at small cap hit or cut him before March with 0 cap effect or after March for $2mil dead money. 

They tried to trade up for Cody Ford and he hasn't graded out very good either.   There just wasn't a series of moves out there to fix the o-line and then to overcome the problems they had through players not being available we as fans assumed would be.

9 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Yeah but you are trying or least were trying to make a point about Zac Taylor not evaluating his players correctly.   They got it correct.    

Hindsight is 20/20 and we can now see that they did get it correct and missed some bad signings.     Sure Hart is a low tier tackle  but he has a contract representative of that talent and going into next year they can retain him for depth at small cap hit or cut him before March with 0 cap effect or after March for $2mil dead money. 

They tried to trade up for Cody Ford and he hasn't graded out very good either.   There just wasn't a series of moves out there to fix the o-line and then to overcome the problems they had through players not being available we as fans assumed would be.

You could literally pick anyone in the top 3 rounds and they'll be better, or as good as, Hart, with more upside.  Meanwhile Sample's not doing much of anything either.  Hart wasn't even a very good G, so I don't know how or where his starting RT market value comes from.   How many below-average players can you fit into your starting lineup? What other team was vying for him in the off-season? 

If slightly over-paying below-average players who don't produce is the strategy, the results speak for themselves!